2011 Honda Accord k24 cold start grinding noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note : I try searching for this old thread but I can't so I make a new one to ask .

My Honda making this 1 second grind noise at cold start like early in morning 30-40 degree . I read it some where here month ago that doing the turn off turn on key trick seem to work . But some member here suggests using Dino 10w30 with some kind of filter that work for them . I seem can't find that thread . If you read this what oil and filter did you use .

Mine only ever did that with 0W20 oils. With 10W30 oils, never a single sound. I'll admit though I love the way my car runs on QSUD 0W20.

Sounds like the infamous VTC actuator. My neighbor has a CRV and it sounds like it's going to explode for a couple of seconds every morning.

Yeah sounds like the actuator is not unlocking in time at startup. Flow related. I don't think thicker oil is the answer in cold weather. It may be the filter selection. What filter do you use?

I wonder why my Accord only does that with 0W20 oil and never does that with 10W30 oil? Even when it is in the lower 30F temps outside? Does the thicker oil leave a better residual oil film thus protecting better at startup?

What oil brand and filter you running . I might try this combo . I think you the one rely the old thread I been searching

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Mine only ever did that with 0W20 oils. With 10W30 oils, never a single sound. I'll admit though I love the way my car runs on QSUD 0W20.

Quaker State High Mileage 10W30 (running high mileage mileage oil to try to quell an oil leak I have) and a Fram TG filter. Before that was Quaker State Ultimately Durability 0W20 and a Honda oem filter. My car has a little bit more acceleration snap with the 0W20 but it had that start up noise that I have never experienced with 10W30.

Quaker State High Mileage 10W30 (running high mileage mileage oil to try to quell an oil leak I have) and a Fram TG filter. Before that was Quaker State Ultimately Durability 0W20 and a Honda oem filter. My car has a little bit more acceleration snap with the 0W20 but it had that start up noise that I have never experienced with 10W30.

Thanks I will give this a try

Quaker state hm and fram tg is what you running right now ?

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Quaker state hm and fram tg is what you running right now ?

Yep,running that currently to see if it stops the oil leak.

Originally Posted by millerbl00
Its the VTC actuator. I had mine fixed under the recall program. Might want to try that.

Mine 2011 I don't know if it still active

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back