The official introduction thread: It's home!

Leave it stock and ride it for the rest of your life and enjoy!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Normac
Originally Posted by blupupher
The only thing I would do to this bike is look for a full fairing, but that is probably rarer than the bike.

I have to admit, and original Windjammer would look Awesome on that bike!

Waiting for an update from the OP. Hopefully everything is going as planned with the Honda.

Actually, the bike apparently had an original Honda fairing on it when the previous owner got it, but he removed it. Personally, I don't mind. I feel that fairings detract from the look of the bike.

I don't have much of an update yet, the weather in MN took a turn for the worse (I'm at the cabin now and woke up to full on snow fall). I plan on going to the DMV on Tuesday to transfer the title and get plates, then late next week I'll be able to take it out and ride.

As I said, I'll be keeping it 100% stock. It's just too nice to mess with.

Originally Posted by 14Accent

Actually, the bike apparently had an original Honda fairing on it when the previous owner got it, but he removed it. Personally, I don't mind. I feel that fairings detract from the look of the bike.

I don't have much of an update yet, the weather in MN took a turn for the worse (I'm at the cabin now and woke up to full on snow fall). I plan on going to the DMV on Tuesday to transfer the title and get plates, then late next week I'll be able to take it out and ride.

As I said, I'll be keeping it 100% stock. It's just too nice to mess with.

I like the look without as well (can easily be mistaken for a CB 750 from a short distance), but if you do long rides, the fairing is almost a must. And since the first CB900 I ever saw was a fairing bike, it is what I associate it with.
Being blasted in the chest with 70 MPH wind takes a lot of the fun out of the ride IMO.

Glad that you are keeping it stock.

Fun fact: this bike has a dual-range transmission, giving 10 possible gear ratios!
I was going to ask that. Nice bike.

I had a friend that had this bike and we swapped often - the way I standardized on using this was to stay in low and row the lower 5 then go right to OD 5th.

This was a very nice machine and still a great bike if in an excellent condition like this.

I was going to ask that. Nice bike.

I had a friend that had this bike and we swapped often - the way I standardized on using this was to stay in low and row the lower 5 then go right to OD 5th.

This was a very nice machine and still a great bike if in an excellent condition like this.

Thanks for the kind words! For the short time I rode the thing, I couldn't have been happier. Between the ultra-smooth engine, the abundance of power, and the air suspension she was a joy to ride.

Much like yourself, I left the sub-trans in low until I reached 5th and treated high range as a 6th gear. However, given the nature of the engine I found that one could easily ride almost full time with the sub-trans in either range. It just had that much torque.

My biggest issue, which I discovered after I acquired the bike, was WEIGHT. Sure, it's far from a fully dressed Goldwing... however a 600lb dry weight "sport touring" machine is quite stout. I'm 5'10, 165 and while I felt very comfortable and capable while riding I always found myself "feeling" the heft. The center of gravity seemed high, and I could sense the mechanical load under me.

To be fair: when taking into consideration the time period, it's an amazing feat of engineering. Honda dug deep into the engineering department with this bike, especially once one takes into account it's relatively pointless position in the market at the time.

Thanks for the kind words! For the short time I rode the thing, I couldn't have been happier. Between the ultra-smooth engine, the abundance of power, and the air suspension she was a joy to ride.

Much like yourself, I left the sub-trans in low until I reached 5th and treated high range as a 6th gear. However, given the nature of the engine I found that one could easily ride almost full time with the sub-trans in either range. It just had that much torque.

My biggest issue, which I discovered after I acquired the bike, was WEIGHT. Sure, it's far from a fully dressed Goldwing... however a 600lb dry weight "sport touring" machine is quite stout. I'm 5'10, 165 and while I felt very comfortable and capable while riding I always found myself "feeling" the heft. The center of gravity seemed high, and I could sense the mechanical load under me.

To be fair: when taking into consideration the time period, it's an amazing feat of engineering. Honda dug deep into the engineering department with this bike, especially once one takes into account it's relatively pointless position in the market at the time.
This is a great bike that came into being shortly before the 1100's took the center stage.
When everyone was on the 750's (like me and my 750 SS ) this was a tremendous upgrade as was the CBR version.

Yeah it's a porker, and at 165 Lb you're on the light side - a tough combo.

I remember it pulling the top range with relative ease, but when riding with other 1100's the lower range kept the corner to corner roll ons closer.

This bike is for riding relatively sportily with ease and she's a beauty. Should be dead reliable minus rubber and stuff that just aged out.

Enjoy her safely fellow rider!

Last edited:
This is a great bike that came into being shortly before the 1100's took the center stage.

Yeah it's a porker, at 165 Lb you're on the light side.

I remember it pulling the top range with relative ease, but when riding with other 1100's the lower range kept the corner to corner roll ons closer.

This bike is for riding relatively sportily with ease and she's a beauty. Should be dead reliable minus rubber and stuff that just aged out.

Enjoy her safely fellow rider!

I certainly enjoyed her (past tense), however I quickly discovered that I'm just not cut out for 2-wheel life. Living in the city, riding presents more distress than enjoyment. Not due to the machine, purely the environment.

I'm definitely "slight and light" when it comes to rider dimensions. My lack of leg makes it difficult to find a bike I can comfortably balance at a stop, and my light weight makes maneuvering a chore.

That said, I agree with all your points RE: the bike itself. The engine is an absolute joy, the controls are second nature even for a novice such as I, and the ride quality with the air suspension is second to none. In fact, the ride quality may be my favorite aspect about the bike. It's an odd feeling crossing broken pavement or other rough surfaces without so much as a tremble from the handlebars.

Does that mean you sold it, or are going to sell it?

For sale thread

Currently looking to sell. I only put around 500 miles on the thing before I realized riding wasn't for me.

I spent more time replacing the fluids, plugs, and researching the thing than I did actually riding.

For sale thread

Currently looking to sell. I only put around 500 miles on the thing before I realized riding wasn't for me.

I spent more time replacing the fluids, plugs, and researching the thing than I did actually riding.
That still sounds like time well spent to me. I remember being happy for you when you posted this thread. It’s a great bike. Someone will enjoy it.

Back