The new king

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron did some extended Timken testing last night utilising his new heat gun. BP Visco 5000 5W40 in the blue corner, just arrived Redline 5W40 obviously in the red corner and new Castrol R 0W40 in the silver corner. Castrol R cold lockup at 30lb, 100lbs capability at 210c and 120lbs at 500c. RL cold lockup 30lbs, 60lbs at 210c and 110 at 500c. BP Visco 5000 no cold lockup and just powers to 120lbs at 500c. Interestingly adding Auto-Rx to the V 5000 took it to 150lbs. Ron will do RL and Castrol R again tonight with Arx added. By far the cheapest and least known oil is killing everything. Some even believe it's a Group III and not a PAO which if correct makes it even more amazing. Pennzoil 15W40 Longlife, BP 15W40 Visco Autogas, Delo 400 and Mobil Power Guard Delvac 1300 Super next we hope.

Molakule it's BP! I got Castrol wrong it's 100/110 at 500c. RL is A$28 US quart, Castrol R A$17 litre, BP A$7.40 per litre. More testing tonight to double check al figures.
Leo check this site for a picture of Bob's Timken. Ours is slightly different but all use the same principle ie a Timken bearing rubbing on a concentric shaft in an oil bath. Load figures are the pressure applied at the end of a lever which holds the bearing.

No Visco 7000 etc here yet or likely to be according to BP tech line. They bought Castrol for that end of the market as BP have very limited distribution channel here, basically only BP servo's and that's it!

M1 0W40 TriSyn was the 'old king' No Supersyn here yet so it could be excellent. Only V 5000 hasn't locked up when cold from all oils tested. BP told me they have severe marketing/distribution problems. A$6.45/litre for a 20 litre drum is ordinary dino pricing, for a full PAO it's the best deal going in oil here period! US$4.03 per US quart.

Sprintman, thanks for passing along the info. Sounds like you're doing good work down under!

Fellow oil nuts: does anyone know if this BP Visco 5000 5w40 oil is available in the USA?

Hi,
Sprintman, its no wonder "...BP have severe distribution problems...".
They took over Castrol - then they decimated the place Nationally and are now trying to sort out the resulting mess.
How do I know ? - well I do Audits on Distributors and others! But thats another story

The Timken test is one thing - we do know that with a bit of luck and good servicing standards we will never experience the same "Timken" parameters in our engines!
After owning 80 odd cars and lots of heavy ( 425-500 hp )trucks over 49 years I have'nt - yet

The "real world" is how the lubricant functions in the extremes of engine operation and those other factors relevant to the durability of an engine. Personally I am more concerned with soot build up in Detroit diesels and having the correct TAN/TBN balance in petrol engines

Wonder if GM, Daimler/Chrysler, Ford, VW, Porsche or BMW select their oil recommendations solely on a Timken test? - I know they don't!

Regards
Doug Hillary
Airlie Beach - Tropical North Queensland - Australia

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
Sprintman, its no wonder "...BP have severe distribution problems...".
They took over Castrol - then they decimated the place Nationally and are now trying to sort out the resulting mess.
How do I know ? - well I do Audits on Distributors and others! But thats another story

offtopic.gif

Doug,
distribution problems ?

They won our lubricating oil supply contract at work, one of the requirements of which was 24 hour delivery (to save us having thousands of litres of inventory).

We waited nearly 7 weeks to get 18 drums of Bartran32 for a critical application, with a constant "be here tomorrow", and not a single apology when they delivered Bartran HV32 (which is NOT appropriate in this application).

Now I'm doing all I can to switch brands to somebody who WILL supply what we want, when we need it.

The Visco 5000 did a good job in the Fast Fours and Rotaries test.

I HAD the original article, and the section in the Amsoil Add is a condensed version of the full article.

Sprintman, we've recieved conflicting advice from BP reps. The one I spoke to said the Visco5000 was hydrocracked.

I just put in BP Visco 7000 0w40. This 'Made in Malaysia' oil is green in colour! And the stuff doesnt smell like oil at all, smells more like soap!
gr_eek2.gif
In fact, more like fragrant fabric softener. Very intense smell, freaks me out man.

I've heard that regular household chlorine bleach does very well on the Timken machine test. I remember seeing this in an article about some of these "snakeoil" additives. I'm curious it this is really true.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
I just put in BP Visco 7000 0w40. This 'Made in Malaysia' oil is green in colour! And the stuff doesnt smell like oil at all, smells more like soap!
gr_eek2.gif
In fact, more like fragrant fabric softener. Very intense smell, freaks me out man.

Perhaps some "super" lubricant ester blended with the base stocks? Not all esters are great, or even good lubricants, but all natural vegetable flavorings and scents, as well as many animal ones, are esters. Esters are what give various florals and fruits their appealing odors and flavors. Ditto for perfumes. Esters are also what give skunks and stink bugs their decidedly unappealing odors. Ditto for rotting garbage, decaying flesh, and fecal material as a natural breakdown product. It stands to reason that designer lubricant esters might well give off decidedly pleasant or unpleasant odors simply as unpredictable attributes of their specific formulations.

[ June 03, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
gr_eek2.gif

This is a very good description of the Castrol Formula SLX/Syntec 0w30 that's made in Germany. It's green, and it doesn't smell like oil. In fact, it smells very much like one or two flavors of the Gummie Bears my nephew was eating here last weekend.

Hi,
offtopic.gif

Sprintman,

your comments are echo'd all over the place. The message is that BP and Castrol will still be marketed as "Brand" specific - but I wonder about the actual products
As BP purchased Castrol for the name and some fabulous products I suspect some of them will come to an end. Like many of their people already have

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back