The Madness of "Market Adjustments"

Markup.jpeg
I
I thought $5K or $10K was bad...but this a $40K market adjustment plus a bunch of other BS for a $96K RAV4. Surely, no one regardless of how much money they have would be dumb enough to actually buy this vehicle?

I can see that stupid price in Oakland. Lots of handsomely paid tech jobs in the area. The dealer is just waiting on the sucker that works for Apple, makes coin and has lavish Apple stock to buy it.

I like the hilarious statement that the "(Optional)" items listed "are not cancelable once purchase". Stealership weasel moves on steroids.

I heard a plausible explanation for this, they want to keep one on the lot for people to see and order from so it's priced like that. If someone wants to pay that well they'll probably throw in the good floor mats.
Yeah this makes more sense. Better than saying it's not for sale. I checked a bunch of Mercedes dealerships, many of the local ones only have one or two E class cars on the lot. They have more S classes on the lot than E and it's usually the other way around.

Hopefully some innocent widow with a nest egg who doesn’t know any better doesn’t buy this. My grandparents used to trade in their used car and buy new from the same dealership for decades. My grandpa said he never bargained he just paid what the price was!

With an eight year loan the monthly payments are affordable.
the problem is, an average consumer gets tired of the car down the road, so they go back and sign for another one within a couple of years, lets say when the things back to normal perhaps, and then they discover they are upside down on the car a big time;

it was never about affordability but about a bigger picture than average consumer does not take into consideration

The plot thickens. Some of these people claim this vehicle originally had a $20 market adjustment a few weeks ago and the current theories are:

1. It's the last on the lot and they need a vehicle to show people so they don't really want to sell it.

2. They are really trying for the $20K adjustment and when you balk at the $40K adjustment they will "knock off" $20K to make you feel like you're getting "a deal".

From what I can gather there are federal anti-gouging laws and my guess is a markup of $40K would get them in trouble but a markup of $20K won't.

Back