The Jeep Cherokee Classic appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an 01 XJ, silver w/127k. Knowing that they are not produced for ten years now I take really good care of it and it runs as good as the day I left the dealer. Running Pennzoil Ultra and a RP or Amsoil filter. Also has roller rockers installed. Would not trade that vehicle for the world.

I've owned 5 Cherokees all bought used,all of them 4x4 5 speeds.Right now we have two 1999 4.0's Bought both of them from Ebay,one from North Carolina,one from Maryland.Both rust free,about 120,000 miles each,a small minor problems when I got them.one was 2100 bucks ,the other 2900...About 600 dollars to ship them both to western NY state.
In my opinion,the best 4x4 ever made if you can accept a small sized lighter weight vehicle.

If I didn't already have a Wrangler I'd be looking for a Cherokee too. Great truck!

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Is there still any love out there for these old tractors?

Here is mine:

Nice Jeep- I always liked the 4.0. Is the 4.0 I6 the same as the one used in the Grand Cherokees up to 2004?

BTW I've heard these referred to as "tractors" before- any particular reason?

People call these tractors based on the flat torque curve and fact these are not exactly rev-happy engines. I can easily drive mine without ever needing to go above 2500 rpm.

Yes, the 4.0 is the same as was used in the Grand Cherokee and also the Wrangler for many years. Its original application was in the Cherokee and it made its debut in the 1987 model year. At the time, AMC expected the 4.0 to be more of a specialty or low volume seller, with most opting for the four cylinder. They quickly found out that it was the exact opposite!

I can still easily find AMC labeled parts all over my '88.
smile.gif

I have a 1998 Cherokee "Classic" model. purchased with 119,000 miles on it -- now has 142,000 miles. Runs great. I use Amsoil 10w-30 in the engine, and replaced all the fluids with Amsoil at time of purchase. The drivetrains in these vehicles are legendary for running for seemingly "forever." Rest of vehicle has usual Jeep Cherokee problems but since this is the third Cherokee we've had, we knew what to expect.

I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat if I could.

I had a 2 door 93 sport and a 98 sport. The only issue I ever had with the 93 was the AC went out around 120k and the Rear main oil seal started leaking around 130k, then I traded it with 150k for the 98 which had 76k at the time.

I drove the 98 all the way out to 160k. The only thing wrong with it when I let it go for my current Mazda6, which I bought new, was at about 140k the evap went and the AC no longer held a charge. However the day before I traded it in, I filled that sucker up with freon and they gave me 4k for it and commented how rarely they get one with working AC. Joke was on that dealership.

There is a little local used lot about a mile from my house and they always have Grands and XJ's on the lot for reasonable prices. I've milled over the idea of stopping by and making an offer.

The only 2 things you really need to look at when buying a Cherokee is if the Rear Main seal is leaking & how bad, and if the AC works.

Last edited:
They definitely spawned the modern SUV, and I have the XJ to thank for the existence of my Jeep (which will roll over 114k miles on Thursday).

I have a friend who has a 98 XJ with about 160k miles on it, runs like a champ, and he won't get rid of it, even though he got a new DD (01 Grand Cherokee 4.0). My grandmother used to have a fully loaded 94 when I was growing up (4.0 auto, selec-trac, leather, etc). She loved it to death, but likes driving newer cars, so she only kept it for about 6 years. I think it had around 38 - 40k miles on it when she sold it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back