The ineffectiveness of MS Security Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avast? I uninstall it on every PC I touch. Plenty of great others out there to use, NOD, Eset, vipre, Norton, etc.

Just kidding on the Norton
smile.gif

This is the ESET online scan that is free. As far as I know ESET does not have a free version of their AV.

ESET does have a form of "free" Antivirus
The free after rebate deals come around frequently. But no "Free antivirus".

Sometimes they even run it 4.99/yr without a rebate.. for those that detest rebates.

I've sent in 6 eset rebates and received all 6, as well as all 5 kaspersky rebates I've sent in.

Eset has blocked some sites that seem ok.. its usually sites that were hacked or have bad banner ads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mystic
This is the ESET online scan that is free. As far as I know ESET does not have a free version of their AV.

I looked at the ESET free online scanner. Says it a "one time" free scan.

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

They want you to see how it finds stuff, then you have to buy a license to get more use beyond the one time free scan and fix. Or you could try the free 30-day free trial and decide if you want to buy the license of not.

Thats not quite right. The free scanner is always free to use. Its just on demand, not running in the background always.

Its still a good product but I prefer something that stops the threat, not reacts to a threat already in place.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Mystic

I looked at the ESET free online scanner. Says it a "one time" free scan.

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

They want you to see how it finds stuff, then you have to buy a license to get more use beyond the one time free scan and fix. Or you could try the free 30-day free trial and decide if you want to buy the license of not.

Make sure ZeeOSix that you are at the correct website. The last time I used the ESET online scan, which was actually just a few days ago, there was no message like that as far as I can remember.

You can scan as many times as you want after you download the program and the updates. All you have to do is update it. But it is not an AV running in 'real time.' It is not protecting your computer all the time. It is a scan you can run on your computer. After the scan runs you can delete the software if you want. You can always download it again.

It is easy to use and it will actually remove malware. Unlike some of the online scans that will only find it.

Personally I have some issues with Bitdefender. But at the Microsoft website where they recommend AV software there is a free antivirus endorsed by Microsoft and it is actually the free Bitdefender AV.

And as has been pointed out here it is sometimes possible to get ESET or Kaspersky from NewEgg for FREE after the rebate. Or at least for a small amount of money.

There is really no excuse to use a poor quality AV.

Give Avira a try. It's still the best free IMO; lightest and best detection. Don't install the Browser Safety as it slows web traffic too much, but DO add this registry tweak to add the full web protection. The Browser Safety add on is a simple URL blacklist while the full web protection runs all web traffic through the antivirus engine.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/disable-avira-searchfree-ask-com-toolbar-popup-nag-alert/

Last edited:
I am not impressed with techradar.com ratings. I was talking about AVTest and AVComparatives. Along with West Coast Labs, Virus Bulletin, NSS Labs, etc.

The problems I had with Bitdefender was that in more than one trial of the program it appeared to be very buggy. I had to repair it and one time I thought I had wrecked my computer with Bitdefender.

Kaspersky is very good. But I think Kaspersky has a few issues running on a 64 bit operating system.

At this time I think it is hard to beat ESET.

But no AV program is invincible and if somebody downloads enough junk and goes to enough bad websites they are going to get their computer infected with malware. You have to be careful just updating Adobe software. Adobe has included the Ask Toolbar in some updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back