The importance of Safety glasses...

Before I begin, I need to note: There are going to be holes in this story, as I don't know all the details, nor do I have the time to jump on here and check responses all that often. With that said, the point remains the same.

I have a friend (approximately 60) who is a Diesel Mechanic and farmer in Wi. A few years ago, he was working on a tractor (with his safety glasses on), and a hydraulic line blew. It knocked his glasses off, and blew fluid into both eyes. As a result, he developed Cataracts in both eyes, and has been legally blind since then (from a driving perspective).

He can navigate around the house, but relies on others to get out grocery shopping and to his dr appts. To compound this, and coinciding with Covid related issues, his early treatment in Milwaukee was absolutely shoddy.

I believe he has finally found the proper practitioner this past winter, and will be going through a series of operations this late winter and spring. The chances of him regaining full vision, tbh, are not great.

To watch a fully functioning adult from afar, essentially devolve into depression, what he calls a 'vampire existence' (sunlight, especially in winter hurts him) and other issues is heart breaking.

So just a Sunday morning PSA -- you never know...

Oh yes. If you have to argue eye protection to someone, he's a darn fool.

In hydraulic class you're taught to use a piece of cardboard to "feel" for leaks as the fluid pressure can cut your skin and send fluid into your bloodstream.

I had a bearing race shatter while removing it from a transaxle. Pieces sunk in my hand in the thick portion of my palm. Too deep to retrieve without surgery. Doctor elected to leave them in my hand. They’ve been there for 44 years. If those fly pieces of bearing race had hit me in the eye it would have had enough force to go into my brain. Yes-always wear eye protection.

• Wow
Reactions: Pew
Oh yes. If you have to argue eye protection to someone, he's a darn fool.

In hydraulic class you're taught to use a piece of cardboard to "feel" for leaks as the fluid pressure can cut your skin and send fluid into your bloodstream.
In aviation especially commercial aircraft, A&P's from the beginning are taught if you hear a leak don't run your fingers across hydraulic lines. I had a Professor that was an A&P at Continental back in the 80's. Apparently a new guy got the tip of his finger cut clean off. From my understanding many larger jumbo jets have hydraulic lines running over 3000 psi and landing gear can be 5000 psi.

Retired 12 years still wear glass safety glasses for everyday wear without the side shields. Plastic lenses even with the coating still scratch. Grind ,cut or drill put a face shield on and ear protection.

I put on my safety glasses as soon as I go into the garage to do any type of work. Because mine have 150 readers in the lenses, I often keep them on without realizing it. It was really weird at the last wedding that I attended…jk ;)

I am assuming there aren't a lot of us that are against the useage and importance of safety glasses.
I agree. I think it's a generational thing, like wearing seatbelts.

I recall in the late 90's when I started turning wrenches, most "real mechanics" didn't use gloves or saw little use for them.
I started with disposable "food grade" gloves, as I didn't like getting exposed to used oil, metal slivers etc.

Fast forward several years and all the mechanics I see on YouTube wear them.

I never wear rated safety glasses as I wear regular glasses and the prescription is ridiculous in my left eye so I have to get the high index lense material. I do however use face shields when running OPE like chainsaws and brush cutters. Not ideal but it is what it is. I could get the safety glasses that go over regular glasses but I could never stand wearing them.

For the 1st time I used goggles when cutting cast iron and 1/8th" sheet metal with a 4" grinder. I didn't wear seat belt until my kids trained me to either. :cool:

I got a piece of metal in my eye even while wearing safety glasses. It was starting to rust and I noticed the color but didn't feel much, so got it checked out. Was annoying as h$%^ to have a doctor get it out. My eyesight hasn't been the same in that eye since and I was wearing safety glasses...

I've always been careful to wear them before, and more so since (usually with a face shield if grinding now.)

I used to wonder what machinists wore before the days of safety glasses. They used the mirror to help them pick out the chips.

Untitled_70.jpg

Get one of these bad boys and you won't ever have to worry about things hitting you or hitting on you.

1708385440820.jpg

I attended a welding classat the local community college and we watched a safety documentary movie the first day. Gruesome life changing accidents due to a moment of carelessness or impatience. I’ve very conscientiously worn safety glasses or a face shield ever since.

As I was under the Midget and bleeding the clutch, the bleeder hose popped off and managed to fling a drop of brake fluid under my glasses and into my eye. Ran into the house, grabbing the bottle of brake fluid on the way, so I'm rinsing my eye out as I'm reading the label on the bottle with my other eye where it says "in case of eye contact, seek medical attention immediately". Oh, great... Called the poison control center to ask if that means if I need to get to the ER, and they just said flush with water for several minutes, and if things aren't improving or it's swelling then get to the ER. Scared me enough to make sure I wear safety goggles if there's a chance of something flinging or falling into my eye.

Back