The Greatest Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, in reference to your nephew, unless he is under 18, I would kick him out (lovingly) and explain why it is happening. If he is to be good in life at all, he will eventually understand. My friends mother did this to his brother and it straightened him up quick.

And God bless that man, that is awesome he is still working...

This is what happens when everyone wins/gets a prize.

Then they get out in the real world and learn it's a joke. Kinda sad, really.

Thank god I'm not teaching my son that...I want him actually ready for the real world!

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
First, in reference to your nephew, unless he is under 18, I would kick him out (lovingly) and explain why it is happening. If he is to be good in life at all, he will eventually understand. My friends mother did this to his brother and it straightened him up quick.

And God bless that man, that is awesome he is still working...

You're too nice....screw lovingly. I love my kid, but I am no push over. See a few kids in my family that *might* be like that, but some of the members of our family plan to send a nice little "wake up call" to help prevent that....

My wife and I are friends with a family that has a daughter that is now going to college for child care. This girl has a summer job taking care of kids in a day care. When I recently asked the daughter how her job was going, she replied that they cannot tell a kid to do anything. For example, if the kid is standing on the coffee table, they are not allowed to tell (or make) the kid get off the coffee table. They can say "Would you get off the coffee table?" They can say "It would be nice if you would get off the coffee table." They can say "Wouldn't you like to play with some toys instead of being on the coffee table?"'
But they cannot TELL or force the kid to get off the coffee table. My question is why is there no discipline anymore?

Great at everything... except instilling their own values, morals, and work ethic in their children.

Hence the messed up state of affairs in this country today.

Originally Posted By: Trav
When i look at my 380 lb fat slob lazy nephew who wont mow the lawn for his 80 yr old grandmother and then see something like this i have to wonder.
No wonder they called these folks the greatest generation.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massach...ewcP/story.html

Seems you don't have to look far to find an Obese, Lazy, still living at home, couch potato, man-child these days.
mad.gif

Whats YOUR sisters/brothers excuse for him?

When i look at my 380 lb fat slob lazy nephew who wont mow the lawn for his 80 yr old grandmother and then see something like this i have to wonder.

Ofcourse there will always be a rotten tomato in the basket, like your nephew there. I however think the young people I have in my family and work with, are all good responsible hard working kids with good values. At least where I live. And I guess it would be the same most places.

Originally Posted By: BubbaFL
Great at everything... except instilling their own values, morals, and work ethic in their children.

So, in short, you think that if we had just kept their racism, homophobia, fundamentalism and misogyny, this will be a better place??????
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138

So, in short, you think that if we had just kept their racism, homophobia, fundamentalism and misogyny, this will be a better place??????
21.gif

LMAO

Originally Posted By: Kruse
My wife and I are friends with a family that has a daughter that is now going to college for child care. This girl has a summer job taking care of kids in a day care. When I recently asked the daughter how her job was going, she replied that they cannot tell a kid to do anything. For example, if the kid is standing on the coffee table, they are not allowed to tell (or make) the kid get off the coffee table. They can say "Would you get off the coffee table?" They can say "It would be nice if you would get off the coffee table." They can say "Wouldn't you like to play with some toys instead of being on the coffee table?"'
But they cannot TELL or force the kid to get off the coffee table. My question is why is there no discipline anymore?

So who is responsible when that kid falls off that coffee table and breaks his arm? If I could not make them do something then they better not make me liable for something they do!

I would be willing to place a bet that the 94 yr old gentleman, after working there 22 years, was probably earning a higher hourly wage than most of the other hourly workers and that is why his hours were cut. I was laid off this past January after having my regular 37.5 hours cut down to 20-22 for the previous 8 months. I worked for that company for more than 14 years. Of course they claim it was "lack of work" but lower-paid workers are still doing my job and even newer workers are being trained on it. My blood boils every time I hear about someone else being treated the same way.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
While I 100% understand the problem with your Nephew

.......why does this man deserve $7,000 for something millions of people do every day?

Do a search on Market Basket and see what is going on.

I actually know Arthur. I shop at the MB where he works. He is a nice guy.

.......why does this man deserve $7,000 for something millions of people do every day?

I guess we know who is incapable of doing a bit of research.

Go use this thing called Google. Put in his name and search news stories and you'll find your answer. Simple for most of us.

I shop this store. Nice guy meeting him and my wife who is experienced with elderly though he was in his mid 80's

Originally Posted By: expat

Seems you don't have to look far to find an Obese, Lazy, still living at home, couch potato, man-child these days.
mad.gif

Whats YOUR sisters/brothers excuse for him?

This kid never took or has had to take responsibility for anything he did or didn't do just like his mother. There are no repercussions for his bad judgment.
My parents thought they were too hard on us so the coddled the youngest (its mother), although not fat she is just as lazy and has been on the public cow (fraudulently) since she was 22.

He and his mother feel entitled to anything and everything they want.
These two are a friggin disgrace.

While I 100% understand the problem with your Nephew

If people want to donate to him so be it. I doubt though that there are millions of 94 year olds working and supporting themselves! More power to him, he is not sitting around and is not in a nursing home paid for with tax dollars!

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138

21.gif

Aren't we painting with a VERY broad brush! Doesn't that make you the same as "them?" Just a different color on your palette? Love em or hate em, they embroiled the American can do spirit and did not falter against an incredible war machine.

My grandfather was one of those, as you put it, racist, homophobic, etc... He did his time in Greenland during WWII. I grew up on a farm, he had me working good and hard at early age. When I was younger I repeated the N word. He took me to a neighboring farm, and showed me a black man working his [censored] off as a farm hand. He said that is no N. Then he took me to his brothers house (he came from a family of 6 sisters and 5 brothers). He was a worthless drunk (ended up drowning while swimming drunk). He said, this is a N!!! Then he explained N didn't represent a color, it represented worthlessness. It was a very simple lesson from a man who grew up during the depression, getting kicked under the table by his father who couldn't afford to feed his kids.

Some of these old timers had such a simplistic way to teach a lesson and have it stick with you. Before you cast them aside as evil, as you do in your post, just remember times are different. Compare and contrast JFK policies and he would be a far right winger in 2014; surely not emboldening current current democratic ideology. Heck, compare his policy to a contemporary republican.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back