The Greatest Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
While I 100% understand the problem with your Nephew

.......why does this man deserve $7,000 for something millions of people do every day?

This guy is doing his best to stay independent without going on the public cow then they cut his hours. Its not like a 94 can just go get another job.
People respect a man like this and wanted to help him, he didn't ask for it. If i would have known i would have thrown some $$$ in myself out of respect not charity.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Originally Posted By: BubbaFL
Great at everything... except instilling their own values, morals, and work ethic in their children.

Hence the messed up state of affairs in this country today.

So, in short, you think that if we had just kept their racism, homophobia, fundamentalism and misogyny, this will be a better place??????
21.gif

Aren't we painting with a VERY broad brush! Doesn't that make you the same as "them?" Just a different color on your palette? Love em or hate em, they embroiled the American can do spirit and did not falter against an incredible war machine.

My grandfather was one of those, as you put it, racist, homophobic, etc... He did his time in Greenland during WWII. I grew up on a farm, he had me working good and hard at early age. When I was younger I repeated the N word. He took me to a neighboring farm, and showed me a black man working his [censored] off as a farm hand. He said that is no N. Then he took me to his brothers house (he came from a family of 6 sisters and 5 brothers). He was a worthless drunk (ended up drowning while swimming drunk). He said, this is a N!!! Then he explained N didn't represent a color, it represented worthlessness. It was a very simple lesson from a man who grew up during the depression, getting kicked under the table by his father who couldn't afford to feed his kids.

Some of these old timers had such a simplistic way to teach a lesson and have it stick with you. Before you cast them aside as evil, as you do in your post, just remember times are different. Compare and contrast JFK policies and he would be a far right winger in 2014; surely not emboldening current current democratic ideology. Heck, compare his policy to a contemporary republican.....

I paint them with such a wide brush because those were not some crazy beliefs some people had, those were institutionalized policies that rule the society back then, obviously not all the people agreed with those ideas otherwise no change would ever had happened.

I wish that what you said about President Kennedy were true, that the Republicans would be behind policies like the New Frontier or that the far right would share his ideas like this one:

Originally Posted By: John F. Kennedy
I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute, where no Catholic prelate would tell the president (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote; where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference; and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the president who might appoint him or the people who might elect him.

I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish; where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source; where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials; and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all.

I believe in a president whose religious views are his own private affair, neither imposed by him upon the nation, or imposed by the nation upon him as a condition to holding that office.

His full speech here, sorry for veering this thread off topic!!!

Last edited:

.......why does this man deserve $7,000 for something millions of people do every day?

It is an interesting scenario...

The man is 94, and he said he has been working there for 22 years, so since he was 72. I kind of get that, I dont like to be idle, and Id probably want to do something when Im 72, especially if it brings a check.

But which is it???

"...received a check for $7,166 from an online campaign by customers determined to help him keep paying his bills..."

speaks fiscal incompetence, that he didnt save enough for retirement.

But at the same time, "he’d been working since he was 16-years-old and really just wants to return to work.

'I’ve got to keep going. I’ll keep going somehow,' St. John said."

Which is a different scenario.

I dunno, in retail, peoples' hours get cut back all the time. If this guy was 34 instead of 94, would anybody be saying/doing anything?

Im hoping this guy gets his hours restored and is able to stay active, particularly because staying active versus a tv-watching couch potato is important at that (and any) age. But the way the story is written, Im not sure if this is just an article to sell advertising and site hits, or because the guy really has a need.

Ok. you tell the man he shouldn't be working. He probably was a part timer. Mkt Bskt furloughed all their part timers due the public's refusal to shop there. The shelves are empty and the people have to spend more money at the competition It is some sort of public action in support of the ex-Ceo. The chain is losing 10 million a day, I saw on the news . This has been going for a month. You do the math.
The donor is making a public statement. The gesture and the mans's age, make for good publicity.

Hey, he was kid in the depression. Being raised by 2 of them myself, I saw what that did to my folks. Work was what they did to survive. Work and thrift. The guy is 94, what he does is working for him.

Great at everything... except instilling their own values, morals, and work ethic in their children.

I think you hit the nail on the head. That generation endured a great deal of hardship and saved the western world. Even though they were plagued by the same problems that always have and always will plague mankind, the were able to hand the next generation the best future any generation has ever had. They probably did make things too easy for their children in the hope they would have it better. The result, as we see now, is the kind of gratitude demonstrated below by a generation that refused to leave anything on the table for their own children and grand children after so much was done for them.

So, in short, you think that if we had just kept their racism, homophobia, fundamentalism and misogyny, this will be a better place??????
21.gif

21.gif

Aren't we painting with a VERY broad brush! Doesn't that make you the same as "them?" Just a different color on your palette? Love em or hate em, they embroiled the American can do spirit and did not falter against an incredible war machine.

My grandfather was one of those, as you put it, racist, homophobic, etc... He did his time in Greenland during WWII. I grew up on a farm, he had me working good and hard at early age. When I was younger I repeated the N word. He took me to a neighboring farm, and showed me a black man working his [censored] off as a farm hand. He said that is no N. Then he took me to his brothers house (he came from a family of 6 sisters and 5 brothers). He was a worthless drunk (ended up drowning while swimming drunk). He said, this is a N!!! Then he explained N didn't represent a color, it represented worthlessness. It was a very simple lesson from a man who grew up during the depression, getting kicked under the table by his father who couldn't afford to feed his kids.

Some of these old timers had such a simplistic way to teach a lesson and have it stick with you. Before you cast them aside as evil, as you do in your post, just remember times are different. Compare and contrast JFK policies and he would be a far right winger in 2014; surely not emboldening current current democratic ideology. Heck, compare his policy to a contemporary republican.....

I paint them with such a wide brush because those were not some crazy beliefs some people had, those were institutionalized policies that rule the society back then, obviously not all the people agreed with those ideas otherwise no change would ever had happened.

I wish that what you said about President Kennedy were true, that the Republicans would be behind policies like the New Frontier or that the far right would share his ideas like this one:

I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute, where no Catholic prelate would tell the president (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote; where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference; and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the president who might appoint him or the people who might elect him.

I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish; where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source; where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials; and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all.

I believe in a president whose religious views are his own private affair, neither imposed by him upon the nation, or imposed by the nation upon him as a condition to holding that office.

Ahh but he sure did pander to that Catholic vote quite well now didn't he. This is but 1 issue and I commend him for it, I wish it were true but politics is of the moment these days, not of substance. I'm way off thread so I won't keep at it. PM if you are interested in respectful debate over it. And please do check into some of the policies back then and compare. Kinda crazy when you realize how far and how quick we move as a society. Doesn't feel it in the moment but the swings are pretty significant.

"I think you hit the nail on the head. That generation endured a great deal of hardship and saved the western world. Even though they were plagued by the same problems that always have and always will plague mankind, the were able to hand the next generation the best future any generation has ever had. They probably did make things too easy for their children in the hope they would have it better. The result, as we see now, is the kind of gratitude demonstrated below by a generation that refused to leave anything on the table for their own children and grand children after so much was done for them."

So...you're saying that what we need to turn things around now is Great Depression II? or WW III?

GrtArtiste

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
"I think you hit the nail on the head. That generation endured a great deal of hardship and saved the western world. Even though they were plagued by the same problems that always have and always will plague mankind, the were able to hand the next generation the best future any generation has ever had. They probably did make things too easy for their children in the hope they would have it better. The result, as we see now, is the kind of gratitude demonstrated below by a generation that refused to leave anything on the table for their own children and grand children after so much was done for them."

So...you're saying that what we need to turn things around now is Great Depression II? or WW III?

GrtArtiste

No sensible person could glean that from what I posted.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

It is an interesting scenario...

The man is 94, and he said he has been working there for 22 years, so since he was 72. I kind of get that, I dont like to be idle, and Id probably want to do something when Im 72, especially if it brings a check.

But which is it???

"...received a check for $7,166 from an online campaign by customers determined to help him keep paying his bills..."

speaks fiscal incompetence, that he didnt save enough for retirement.

But at the same time, "he’d been working since he was 16-years-old and really just wants to return to work.

'I’ve got to keep going. I’ll keep going somehow,' St. John said."

Which is a different scenario.

I dunno, in retail, peoples' hours get cut back all the time. If this guy was 34 instead of 94, would anybody be saying/doing anything?

Im hoping this guy gets his hours restored and is able to stay active, particularly because staying active versus a tv-watching couch potato is important at that (and any) age. But the way the story is written, Im not sure if this is just an article to sell advertising and site hits, or because the guy really has a need.

Good point, is he really in need or is it just the public perceived him as such?
There are so many possible scenarios i wont guess.

Who knows why the geezer has no money or if he even needs it, it may have been just a facebook post or tweet by someone that triggered the donation drive.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

If people want to donate to him so be it. I doubt though that there are millions of 94 year olds working and supporting themselves! More power to him, he is not sitting around and is not in a nursing home paid for with tax dollars!

Right! Kill all the old! Worthless bags of dust! Really?

There generation was one that, in general, came from nothing and had little. They, as multi-million whole, were part of an attitude we all should study. I do believe them to be the greatest generation overall. They were solid kids sent to war!! Often with little to no training. Honest reports from them show us the good human has issues with killing another human. The gov't numbers of shots per kill lay it out.

The birth ground of video games was the military. We needed a better way to get the core to make the kill shot. Video games worked, and worked well. Desensitized slowly....It works. Say what you will about that generation, they would never take a human life as readily as we as a society do from their gen to the current. Argue me that.

The greatest generation to me, is that almost all of them were willing to lay their life on the line for their country. Today we have those who join the military and everyone else. If it came to war and we had to draft, how many would do as the greatest generation and lay your life on the line for the women and children of this nation?

Originally Posted By: Trav
380 lb fat slob lazy nephew

Geez are you exaggerating or is he really darn near 400lbs?
Does anyone find that weight alarming? I'd b e surprised if he could stand, let alone cut the grass
shocked2.gif

Yes he is and gaining. The fatter he gets the less he does and the more he eats.
I don't care what happens to him as long as we can make him stop bleeding my mother but that's a problem.
When he was younger (he is 21) they had him to all kinds of doctors and they found nothing wrong, one recommended a headshrinker.
They called that doctor fit to burn, they cannot/will not accept he is a mental problem.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
People should be able to retire at 60-65 if they plan for 30 years.

Americans are working longer due to poor planning.

We can't judge this guy. Not everybody expects to live to be 94+. Maybe he did have enough to retire and was divorced and his wife took the house and a good chunk of the savings, the thing is we don't know.

There generation was one that, in general, came from nothing and had little. They, as multi-million whole, were part of an attitude we all should study.

I agree with you for the most part. Many of us could stand to learn from their work ethic and their ability to scrimp and save money/goods.

That being said I have personally met several from that generation (and their offspring) who were exceptional at hard work and saving but they had themselves SO convinced that they had nothing or that they needed to save more for whatever reasons, they would live in run down houses and/or drive beat up old jalopies that weren't safe. Getting them to make a repair was/is very difficult and often they would only opt for the bare banes minimum or the cheapest part. Work hard, make/save money and spend appropriately when needed.

I never have understood these people- the old saying "You can't take it with you" is true. They balk about having to spend it on their health care before medicare takes effect at the end of their life, but won't disburse it among their offspring so it stays in the family- they want total and direct control over it but doing so all but guarantees their hard work and saving will be for nothing.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
People should be able to retire at 60-65 if they plan for 30 years.

Americans are working longer due to poor planning.

We can't judge this guy. Not everybody expects to live to be 94+. Maybe he did have enough to retire and was divorced and his wife took the house and a good chunk of the savings, the thing is we don't know.

+1. It is obnoxious but pompous folks need to rave on this board about how their own situations and basically justify themselves why they are better. This guy is 94 and contributing to society. He became good press for a regional situation and great story for the Boston Globe picked up from my local paper. I imagine he is floored with money.

Maybe a medical issue happened along the way burning up the money. Plenty of folks get killed with medical bills especially elderly. My wife(medical field mainly elderly) watches it all the time people who saved all their life to only spend the money on a really sick spouse losing all the money saved for retirement in early stage of life. She has even benefited as 24hr care in college(1990) getting paid $40/hr to stay up with a dying famous poet.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: spasm3

If people want to donate to him so be it. I doubt though that there are millions of 94 year olds working and supporting themselves! More power to him, he is not sitting around and is not in a nursing home paid for with tax dollars!

Right! Kill all the old! Worthless bags of dust! Really?

Hey thats not what i meant at all!

21.gif

Yes, and since we've decided to get political here (even though we are NOT supposed to), some of the current ilk of hardcore, T.P., extremist, even fascist, 'Rs', make their predecessors seem like leftist, "bleeding heart", 'commie' liberals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back