The ghosts of Lake Mead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing about sea levels rising..... For years.... Where? People living in the Florida Keys, and along the coast have not seen it. Gravity is the same everywhere. And why are all of these prominent people who say this is coming, investing in multi million dollar beachfront property?

Waikiki Beach looks the same now, as it did on postcards 60 years ago. The USS Arizona is no deeper now in Pearl Harbor, than it was when it sank. All the glaciers are melting! They all exclaim.... And prove with satellite images.

OK, where's the flood? People were living on the Outer Banks in North Carolina 60 years ago, same as they are today. When is the gift shop at the Fontainebleau in Miami going to have to get out the pumps and mops? When should we all panic, and head for higher ground?

vX6RG0R.jpg

Well, you cannot trust a photographer on that. Sea level rises and falls twice a day, it is called tides.

I made a flippant comment regarding water conservation in support of somebody saying earth's water is NOT depleting "it can't go to space!"

Now I am not so sure. Does all of the evaporated water comes back to earth or some does lose to space?

But I have to first decide if I am going to worry about not having enough water because of global warming or worrying about melting ice caps, sea water rising and flooding all the coastland. It is one or the other :)
The Earth can and does 'lose' water. Over the eons a substantial % of Earth's water isn't exactly 'lost' but has been subducted down into Earth's crust/mantle so that has somewhat depleted our oceans. Earth has also really lost water from the solar wind eroding the atmosphere and radiation breaking down water molecules into Oxygen and Hydrogen, and the Hydrogen (by itself) is too light for Earth's gravity to hold onto it so it leaks off into space and is lost forever. Also the Earth gradually accumulates dust/rocks from space that contain some % of water inside, which gradually adds a bit of water to earth's total supply.

Sure you can. Point being is ALL of this is overblown to support a narrative.
How is that the point? Wouldn't the point be that the water levels in the harbor rise and fall as much as 5 feet from high to low tide and sea levels rise in the harbor has only risen just under 1 foot over the past 100 years, so attempting to draw a conclusion from comparing those two pictures is simply silly?

Disingenuous, bad faith "gotchas" do no one any good.

How is that the point? Wouldn't the point be that the water levels in the harbor rise and fall as much as 5 feet from high to low tide and sea levels rise in the harbor has only risen just under 1 foot over the past 100 years, so attempting to draw a conclusion from comparing those two pictures is simply silly?

No one is talking about "tides". Everyone knows they happen. No one is saying they don't. It's all of this nonsense about how, "sea levels are rising". And trying to connect those dots to glacial ice melting. It's all nonsense.

These same people were talking about Florida, and other low lying coastal beach areas being inundated by rising sea levels. Hasn't happened. Isn't happening. And won't happen. If it were we would see evidence of it. We're not, and we won't.

It's all a false narrative being pushed by the "climate change" greenies. No one is denying the climate is changing. It's been changing since the Earth was created. It's this ridiculous nonsense that man is somehow responsible for it, and can control it.

No one is talking about "tides". Everyone knows they happen. No one is saying they don't. It's all of this nonsense about how, "sea levels are rising". And trying to connect those dots to glacial ice melting. It's all nonsense.

These same people were talking about Florida, and other low lying coastal beach areas being inundated by rising sea levels. Hasn't happened. Isn't happening. And won't happen. If it were we would see evidence of it. We're not, and we won't.

It's all a false narrative being pushed by the "climate change" greenies. No one is denying the climate is changing. It's been changing since the Earth was created. It's this ridiculous nonsense that man is somehow responsible for it, and can control it.
You posted a picture implying it represented a fact. It does not represent that implication for a reason two people pointed out to you. You say that reason is irrelevant.

I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that sea levels haven't risen over time since it is a direct physical measurement that is well documented.

Now you're talking about climate change for some reason.

We seem to forget the bottom line and that is the climate changed and the
Water saving technologies should be mandated....oh Heavens, here come the "freedom fighters".
Water heavy landscaping should not be allowed. There's not enough water for it obviously.
There are water saving methods used in LV.

It's not all that better here.

Remember the drought which impacted Lake Lanier and the tri-state (GA, AL, FL) legal battle over water?

Remember when the Gov of Ga claimed that the equipment used to survey the northern border resulted in an error and the actual border would move north just a mile or so. The movement north would encompass a section of the Tennessee river? The state was going to pipe water to metro Atlanta.
There is so much water here in SC that it all just flows out into the ocean, Amazes me all the time when reading about other parts of the country as I pass over the rivers here.

I keep hearing about sea levels rising..... For years.... Where? People living in the Florida Keys, and along the coast have not seen it. Gravity is the same everywhere. And why are all of these prominent people who say this is coming, investing in multi million dollar beachfront property?

Waikiki Beach looks the same now, as it did on postcards 60 years ago. The USS Arizona is no deeper now in Pearl Harbor, than it was when it sank. All the glaciers are melting! They all exclaim.... And prove with satellite images.

OK, where's the flood? People were living on the Outer Banks in North Carolina 60 years ago, same as they are today. When is the gift shop at the Fontainebleau in Miami going to have to get out the pumps and mops? When should we all panic, and head for higher ground?

vX6RG0R.jpg
But my Tv told me we would run out of oil in the 1970s. I believe what my Tv tells me to believe.

There is so much water here in SC that it all just flows out into the ocean, Amazes me all the time when reading about other parts of the country as I pass over the rivers here.
We must question where does the water come from?

You might want to research that a bit deeper.

Almonds use between 8-10% of irrigation water in CA. And yes that is a lot of water. But alfalfa, for example uses more water. And if you kill almond production - this water doesn't suddenly become free, it goes to other crops. Makes no sense when almonds are such an excellent source of nutrition.

I find some of the reactions here evirocrowd following and not well thought through.

I like a
True on the other hand I think there's an economic argument to be made. The Bellagio fountains are one of the primary attractions of the hotel and LV in general as it pertains to tourism. In fact it's such a fixture that surrounding properties are able to charge higher rates for a fountain view. The town of LV is really odd as its growth would not have happened without the Hoover Dam. Just like growth AZ in and SoCal. We're talking billions of USD in investmen

Sure you can. Point being is ALL of this is overblown to support a narrative.
Too many people believe their Tvs.

Really? What is the "measurement", and just who "documented it"?
Of course the seal level rises, where did the water go when the Last major ice age ended? water runs down hill. I know that even with my level of education

We must question where does the water come from?
I always just assumed the Blue Ridge Mountains of SC and NC which are less then a 2 hour ride from where I live, never thought about it much more than that. Its an AMAZING ride on the motorcycle. Mostly as you head into NC and TN.
Smoky Mountains ect...ect .. .go up there every year by bike for over a decade now except this year as I ponder moving to a new home 🙃

Well ya but it's energy intensive, expensive, and we're talking 23M people.
The people in the LA basin and the Bay area have lots of disposable income and can afford the Desal costs . Cars , boats ,fancy vacations and Rvs or water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back