The Future of GC and the SL to SM Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else noticed that Castrol USA has updated the product info on their website for all of their oils to say that they meet the API SM spec, except for 0W30, 5W-40 and 20W-50?

Hmmm, 11k miles over 6 months is something you would think would be well within the capabilities of a top-tier synthetic, and I don't see why anyone would be hoarding something less than top-tier.

John

quote:

For SLX users in Europe, the API rating would have little or no relevance. But here in the states, it's an important factor. I think you can pretty safely assume that if a PCMO does not meet the current API standard, it's probably not going to be given shelf space in places like Auto Zone. Relatively few are the drivers who are going to be willing to use an oil with something other than the up-to-date API approval. [/QB]

I'm sure you're right about the issue of familiarity for the American market. Its just that some European oils don't have the most up to date API classification, and mybe they'll never have it. That doesn't mean that they are inferior - probably the opposite for their own intended application. There is one glaring example that i can think of, albeit a (mostly) diesel requirement but also for one of the VW groups gas engines. I won't mention the dreaded number for fear of being boring....

Let the GC hoarding wars begin.
lol.gif

Round 1: pscholte takes sewerman 174 to 151, but can sewerman recover? Only time will tell.
grin.gif

I love this, pscholte and the sewerman are running great interference for me. When my wife eyes the stash with disdain and starts harping on me (which she probably has every right to do since I've got about $300 tied up in my little shrine), all I have to do is tell her that this is nothing, there are guys on BITOG. . .

Now, as we continue the stash wars, is there any consensus that there won't be a new, even better version of GC after the change to the SM/GL-4 standards? I agree that there's not much to change, but who knows.

cheers.gif

On their USA website, Castrol has updated the specifications for all of the Syntec grades EXCEPT for: 0W-30 (German), 5W-40 (Belgium), and 20W-50.

I think there is a good case to be made that Castrol considers these three grades niche products and that the reason they make them is to meet European auto maker specifications. That is these are the grades that Castrol lists as meeting the VW, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and BMW specific standards. I think it is likely that it is these auto makers who will drive Castrol to meet some new standard, not some new API spec. If you have a Porsche, you want to use an oil that meets the Porsche specific spec, and are only secondarily interested in whether it meets the latest API spec. After all, if it weren't a niche product would AutoZone be the only place in the US that sold GC/SLX?

My presumption is that until the above auto makers update their specs, that Castrol won't bother to change their formulations to meet the SM spec and then have to get recertified on all of these standards.

Since the API SM spec was delayed, I have a hard time believing that there are many owner's manuals for 2005 cars that require the use of API SM oil, so there isn't a real marketing issue until the 2006 cars start coming out.

Good luck all in your GC/SLX hunts.

"Round 1: pscholte takes sewerman 174 to 151"

I would live in constant fear of open flames.

I'm with the guys who think SM Syntec will take the form of another new bottle
frown.gif
or the new US made will take over as SM. God save us all.
shocked.gif

I just seperated my GC into M02, M03 and M04. I decided to loosen up and use some GC in family cars, the M02 stuff that comprises 50% of my stash. I still will aquire more M04 stuff if it is on sale.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

Now, as we continue the stash wars, is there any consensus that there won't be a new, even better version of GC after the change to the SM/GL-4 standards? I agree that there's not much to change, but who knows.

I've wondered about that too, but to be honest, even if they did make it better, the stuff we've got now is pretty darn good already. I'm still impressed with the fact that I did 5000 miles of hard driving in my Corvette and only saw 1ppm of lead! How could I possibly improve on that?

.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000001ppm? (The elves LOVE a challenge!)

174 to 151?

You hoarded 174qts * 4.99$ = 868$$ of oil?

If the wife gets a little annoyed that you dipped into the grocery budget she may have a case *lol*

This is not hoarding.

You guys are converting your homes into the Strategic German Castrol Reserve or something!

Perhaps if the black forest white collar elves turn of the elixir spigots you could make a killing auctioning this oil on the site
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
{snip} Actually your stash is bigger than mine now, as I used up 12L of it last week doing two oil changes, so now I'm down around 40-45 bottles I think.

Ooops, I was just out re-organizing some, and discovered that I'd missed an eight quart sub-cache -- that puts me at 56, including examples from M0300 all the way to M0418. And get this, I just looked at my AZ receipt from this morning, and realized that they've got GC on sale in case quantities (six). So my price worked out to $3.79 US!! I think I'll run over and bag another dozen or so.

Pscholte, I'll be joining you guys at the OHA meetings shortly. . .
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

You don't want to know how much I have now...OK OK quit twisting my arm: 174
shocked.gif

OMG !!!!!!!!! I though I had you in my sights with 151 quarts on hand..

I bow humbly to you the Wizard of SLX...
bowdown.gif
worshippy.gif
worshippy.gif
worshippy.gif

Just curious did they already change GC (0W-30)... Reason why I ask is that I purchased a bottle this weekend to top up, and the colour was not green like normal, it was more of a yellow/brown... and as someone else mentioned the price was a little higher than before $6.66 to $7.12...

Ok, time for a new 12 step program fellas.

"My name is ______, and I cannot stop buying German Castrol motor oil."

John

quote:

Originally posted by Jay 555:
Just curious did they already change GC (0W-30)... Reason why I ask is that I purchased a bottle this weekend to top up, and the colour was not green like normal, it was more of a yellow/brown... and as someone else mentioned the price was a little higher than before $6.66 to $7.12...

Was this yellow/brown oil in a new bottle or an older one though? Double check to be sure it says made in Germany on it, as it seems you probably got some of the older made in USA stuff which is still kicking around in some stores.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
lol.gif

Round 1: pscholte takes sewerman 174 to 151, but can sewerman recover? Only time will tell.
grin.gif

I want to see pictures
wink.gif

BTW, I still have about a dozen tins of 5W30 Havoline circa 1967 and 10W30 Esso from the same era, out of an old stockpile of my grandma's. What should I do with the stuff? 40 years from now, will pscholte's descendants be asking how to effectively dispose of old outdated Castrol 0W-30?

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
lol.gif

grin.gif

My wife doesn't frequent the basement much so as I add she really doesn't notice..
grin.gif
I read elsewhere on this site that AZ is now having a sale on 6 quart cases I may be picking up some more...Let see four 6 quart cases will put me up by 1.....BBUUUWWWWWAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA...
cheers.gif

Have you guys ever considered M1 0W40 instead of GC since they seem so close in viscositys?

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
Have you guys ever considered M1 0W40 instead of GC since they seem so close in viscositys?

Yes I have, but the M1 0w-40 a plain brown color, not nearly as stimulating or mysterious as GC.
wink.gif
Seriously thouogh, I do consider the M1 0w-40 as a product I'd use if, heaven forbid, the supply of GC dries up.

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:

I could use it without concern, but with far less enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back