The future of BITOG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is this place headed? What is it's goal?
Through pursuing information, this place certainly was a "go-to" destination - not much in comparison - excellent for starting a foundation of knowledge around lubrication, factual, scientific, and even anecdotal information around the auto industry, general products and oils.

Certainly the information floating around could be re-organized and presented much more cleanly, but it is all still really nice to just have it all available and to have access to these types of conversations.
I am certainly happy that this place is still so active!

My questions would be:
1) Where is BITOG headed?
2) Where does BITOG plan to go?
-- How does BITOG plan to stay relevant?
-- Future plans: Memberships ??? Establishing Live streams, classes, lectures, events, gatherings, independent research, tests and organizations ????
3) Do the owner's have a passion for the industry anymore? Also, who are the owner's?
4) Is this a slowly dwindling/dying communit
y? - thoughts on longevity?

Just curious on everyone's comments & thoughts, as I have looked over old threads and conversations between members.
Through observation this place looked like it had a very very strong information sharing and gathering era years back and not sure if that sort've died out or not.

As a newbie and later member to BITOG, curious what everyone had to say about the overall state of the place from the beginning to now.

I almost feel like some members of the community have been HUGELY helpful and should REALLY be recognized for their contributions around the information that they have been sharing over the YEARS.

I almost feel that even an introduction section or a single stickied post should be somewhere to honor & identify these specific individuals for new comers.... to really allow some people to understand sometimes who they are actually conversing with.
I am not going to make any direct call-outs on members but certain users here over the years have been sooooo helpful in providing information.

All I have to say is - THANK YOU! AS I AM REALLY HAPPY TO SEE A FORUM LIKE THIS STILL AROUND FOR SUCH A LONG TIME.
PROVIDING SO MUCH INFORMATION OVER THE YEARS DESERVES A BIG
thumbsup2.gif

25.gif
banana2.gif
11.gif

Most communities and websites never seem to last this long.
Especially while retaining such knowledgeable & contributing members.

Last edited:
I don't think BITOG is going anywhere. Consider a thought experiment: All members of BITOG overnight agree that Mobil 1, in spec, in recommended grade, is the best choice for all people. Oh, and the perfect OCI is deemed to be 8,000 miles. This applied to all cars.

Even if that happened, you'd still have the occasional newbie who claims to have not burned a drop of oil in his 400,000 mile 1968 Newport using his own bled of Motor Honey, STP oil treatment and leftover Quaker State straight 30.

Then it all starts again.

Lol. I noticed a lot of the conversations that take place here are definetly: unnecessarily repetitive.

Only reason they probably even stay in conversation is due to technology advances, which of the companies adopt those changes, overall industry standard changes, regulation and formulation changes.

Lack of easy-to-find & updated information unfortunately make the bulk of these repetitive conversations a bit unfruitful
xD

But I can directly see where it all turns into a rinse & repeat situation. Especially with generation gaps & longevity coming into play.

There should almost be an "expert" forums/topic area that should be locked to weed out poor conversations like: requiring to reply here means that you completed a course of motor oil 101 => 110 but still completely viewable (example only)

Not saying that it would help but would certainly add more depth to the forum community and would be interesting.... sometimes might entice people to learn/read to just be able to participate in certain conversations which might provoke previously unhad conversations (big maybe).

Just a random bathtub thought. Not implying anything
smile.gif

Last edited:
The last thing we want is for bitog to degenerate into a website like mazdaspeedforums.org. There, if you don't donate, you're a "brownie" and basically dirt. Conversely, if you donate you're THE MAN. What bilge. I never joined but tuned in there once in a while because I had a speed3. After a while I decided it was pretty much a dead forum - just a bunch of guys throwing out insults like "donate brownie!" with an occasional piece of good information thrown in. It was all to easy to go elsewhere.....

Bitog needs to stay exactly like it is...I visit here everyday because there's always something interesting and very helpful members.

Personally, I registered to talk about oil, but keep coming back for everything else. It's the most general online forum that I know of. I use Honda Element specific forums, and motorcycle specific forums, but BITOG remains a reasonably good forum for other things I care about, but haven't tied myself to a specific forum. I like that I can ask about Tools, without registering at garagejournal, or talk about firearms without going to a glock forum. I might be purchasing a generator and snow blower in the near future, and would be happy to browse the OPE forum instead of joining snowblowerforum. Wide breadth of decent knowledge here.

I guess the common thread is that all of those items need some kind of lubrication, every once in a while.

Despite some claims, the planet will continue revolving around the sun.

Bitog needs to stay exactly like it is...I visit here everyday because there's always something interesting and very helpful members. [/quote]

Me too. Lot's Of good info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Despite some claims, the planet will continue revolving around the sun.

But isn't the constructs of our reality finite?

I guess it depends on perspective being used and the parameters of the time frame that you're utilizing for your statement
shocked.gif

smile.gif
I would guess it is currently finite... but I don't know

Dust to dust?

Sorry.... a bit OT there from the original post.
- - - - - - -

Any mods/admins/Web developers/owners care to shed some insight around the future of BITOG website and forum.

Last edited:
BITOG has certainly changed since I joined, back in the ancient days of Bob Winters. Whether it has evolved or devolved I'm not sure, but we still have people like MolaKule and Tom in NJ to give good industry news, and many others who give good overall help and guidance, you just have to learn who to listen to.

...and then we have GHT, E20, and his endless other identities...
27.gif

Personally, I like it here and intend to stay until the site gets bought out by AutoGuide and ruined...

I've been a critic of Oil University for some time, but you have to start somewhere. I will re-write a few portions and offer them to the Mods for review once I get done with the ongoing elder-care...

There is a lot of good info buried in this site. The section on Technical Papers is pretty good. Darn site better than what's on the 'Net is general.

The site is well enough known that it gets involvement from refiners and blenders.

Overall pretty good from the newbie to oldie
smile.gif

BITOG becomes 100% sponsor owned and turns into a massive advertising and PR site, where >80% of the members are "brand ambassadors" for various oil and automakers posting with impunity.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
BITOG...turns into a massive advertising and PR site
That's what happens when AutoGuide buys a site...they've ruined RAV4 World and the Taurus Club of America.

Those are interesting questions, I'd like to hear the answers too!

I think the moderators should get more involved with the site. Write articles, create more stickies, provide more information on oils and filters, give what the general consensus is on how long an OCI should be with certain types of oil, talk about what viscosity should be used in certain applications etc. This will help stop the repetitive posts and could help more people learn stuff.

Maybe they should contact certain members who have a great deal of knowledge and talk to them about writing articles to put as a sticky.

Eh, I'm guessing if mods started being more active the complaints would roll in how heavy handed they are, trying to influence people against common sense, or other malarkey. There is more than one camp here, and the camps can get pretty vocal.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Those are interesting questions, I'd like to hear the answers too!

I think the moderators should get more involved with the site. Write articles, create more stickies, provide more information on oils and filters, give what the general consensus is on how long an OCI should be with certain types of oil, talk about what viscosity should be used in certain applications etc. This will help stop the repetitive posts and could help more people learn stuff.

Maybe they should contact certain members who have a great deal of knowledge and talk to them about writing articles to put as a sticky.

+1

Why not have the less knowledgeable members write the articles, and then offer them for review?

There's much to learn from the needed research.

The only threat to BITOG is the electric car. And being that people can't seem to drive electric cars without crashing into brick walls and guard rails, I think we'll be just fine.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The only threat to BITOG is the electric car. And being that people can't seem to drive electric cars without crashing into brick walls and guard rails, I think we'll be just fine.

Made my day...
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Kwuality
Lol. I noticed a lot of the conversations that take place here are definetly: unnecessarily repetitive.

There's not a chat board in existence that doesn't have some repetitive and unnecessary conversations.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I'm pretty sure they would suffer burnout. More so than they do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back