The energy advocacy paradox/fear of adoption

The range is still a big issue for me. Just drove ORF-EWR, then up to New Haven, CT and back to ORF from there.

Tesla, or any BEV, would have been a pain to use on that trip. Not one charging station on the 200 mile portion of the Eastern Shore, and a 17 mile bridge tunnel as part of it, would’ve required more pre-flight planning, and time allowance for full charge than I would be willing to tolerate.

The Tundra, gas hog that it is, has over a 500 mile range, and the infrastructure is plentiful. I can worry about things like traffic in NYC and not about running low on range in that traffic or in rural back country.

Looks like a bunch of charging stations - at least superchargers.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.07.28 AM.jpg

Wasn't this debunked? Who in their right mind can keep track of ALL the facts?

I love the idea of low to zero emmissions. IMO, we are only borrowing the earth; it belongs to future generations.
That's part of the reason I installed solar panels.
Regarding emmissions, I salute and support the Bill Gates of the world who are spending part of their fortunes on emmissions controls.
We need to do more.

I realize I live in the Silicon Valley bubble. EVs are very popular.
For those waiting for an EV to be an ICE car, well you will probably be waiting for a long time.
EVs are different; Teslas even more so. Teslas are the future; they make no bones about not trying to be a conventional car.
No leather is by design. "Vegan leather" is a nice name for plastic.
The seats in our Model 3 are incredible; people of differing sizes have all commented on that.
The minimalist interior is hated by many and loved by others. I am one of lovers, because, well, I live and prosper in Silicon Valley.
Of course I may be wrong, but for the Tesla haters and deniers, well I believe your feelings will change.

I will buy another Tesla, no question.

So are people... Oops!
All good.

But we aren't eating people, we are currently eating cows, so it would strike me as being "sustainable" and quite reasonable (unless there's a major paradigm shift on veganism, which I highly doubt) to use leather obtained as a byproduct of beef operations, at least that's my position on the matter. If we are already slaughtering the cows, using as much of that animal as possible would seem the reasonable/logical thing to do so to reduce waste.

But we aren't eating people, we are currently eating cows, so it would strike me as being "sustainable" and quite reasonable (unless there's a major paradigm shift on veganism, which I highly doubt) to use leather obtained as a byproduct of beef operations, at least that's my position on the matter. If we are already slaughtering the cows, using as much of that animal as possible would seem the reasonable/logical thing to do so to reduce waste.
I was actually referring to people who might struggle with emissions, which I tool as the other half of your post.

Probably the best way to save money and energy costs to the planet is to buy a used late model Camry with under 10K miles. Get the v6. What else more does one need, really. Get two I guess, his/hers. Donate the unspent money to a good charity.

I like the tech, that's one reason I bought the Genesis. So I'm open minded to the idea. If the Genesis were totaled or something and had to be replaced, I think I'd drive the Camry for a month or two and give it a long hard thought about it. Maybe a Model 3. But I'm not sure now is yet the time. It's still kind of in an infancy state, or more of a toddler state.

I can see where you're coming from, and I think your thought process is the same as others, and they try to make an electric car do EVERYTHING. But that isn't all that realistic. I can see you have 3 cars. So if 1 got replaced by an electric, the other 2 can still do that 900 mile trip. A couple years ago I drove my Sonata round trip to Vegas in back in one day, 700+ miles. If I owned a Model 3, I'd either decide to stay longer so I can charge, or just take the Camry or Jeep. Not a big deal.

Looks like a bunch of charging stations - at least superchargers.

View attachment 46897
I am not sure Astro wants to do another pre-flight planning and considering his job, depend on something that takes longer time to fill up.
Also, I wold not say that is "plenty."

I am not sure Astro wants to do another pre-flight planning and considering his job, depend on something that takes longer time to fill up.
Also, I wold not say that is "plenty."
If we zoom in a bit we find more and those are only the tesla network.

There is no question the car can make this route or several variations of it with absolutely no issues.

Wether it works for someone to stop every 1.4-3 hours for 15-30 minutes is up to them.

It took me exactly 5 minutes to type in Astros destinations and plot a route, I didnt try to optimize it or remove any stops just get the stock answer. - but thats only because I dont have tesla to do it- The car will plot the route for you automatically zero thinking aside from entering your destination.

I get it though, to some thats still not ok, and thats ok by me.

Some guys will want to one shot it, never stop to get coffee of us sth ahead, skip meals read their phones while driving....

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.24.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.22.09 AM.jpg

If we zoom in a bit we find more and those are only the tesla network.

There is no question the car can make this route or several variations of it with absolutely no issues.

Wether it works for someone to stop every 1.4-3 hours for 15-30 minutes is up to them.

It took me exactly 5 minutes to type in Astros destinations and plot a route, I didnt try to optimize it or remove any stops just get the stock answer. - but thats only because I dont have tesla to do it- The car will plot the route for you automatically zero thinking aside from entering your destination.

I get it though, to some thats still not ok, and thats ok by me.

Some guys will want to one shot it, never stop to get coffee of us sth ahead, skip meals read their phones while driving....

View attachment 46927View attachment 46928
I think that is precisely what he was talking about.

The range is still a big issue for me. Just drove ORF-EWR, then up to New Haven, CT and back to ORF from there.
Range is a big deal. I would have bought the Long Range (AWD) in Dec 2018 but the Mid Range (RWD) cost plenty at the time.
Today I would buy the LR or maybe the Performance.

How far do you drive in a day? Distances up to maybe 200 miles should be doable.
There is no doubt fueling an EV is different than an ICE car.
It works for some and not for others.
You might be surprised some people buy EVs without seriously considering methods of charging.

Range is a big deal. I would have bought the Long Range (AWD) in Dec 2018 but the Mid Range (RWD) cost plenty at the time.
Today I would buy the LR or maybe the Performance.

How far do you drive in a day? Distances up to maybe 200 miles should be doable.
There is no doubt fueling an EV is different than an ICE car.
It works for some and not for others.
You might be surprised some people buy EVs without seriously considering methods of charging.
700 miles one way, in one day, at times. Northern Vermont to Virginia Beach.

In the use case (last week) listed in the previous post, I drove 350 one day (VB to EWR, including the Eastern Shore, so first 245 miles with no charging). 150 with NYC traffic the next. 500 miles the next.

I’ve taken notice of where the supercharger stations are (NJTP rest areas, 95 rest areas in CT, for example) and simply put, would need more than a 70% charge to do the “homestretch” - where I drive about 245 miles, with traffic, and end up on a 17 mile bridge tunnel that experiences frequent delays.

No BEV can do it, even if I charged to 100% on the NJTP, I would be cutting it too close on the bridge at mile 250.

So, I would have to take another route, adding hours to the trip, as well as charge to 100%, which takes more than 30 minutes.

I see a BEV as a cool commuter car, but it cannot do everything I need a car to do. So, it becomes a very expensive second car.

edit: just saw Dave’s post - that station near Dover alleviates (mostly) one issue. Still a lot of added time to charge, but at least I won’t get stuck, dead, on the bridge tunnel.

By the way, the route through Baltimore and DC adds at least two hours, consistently, for traffic. The planning tools only account for traffic at the moment they’re asked to calculate, trust me, DC traffic adds hours. It once too me 8 hours to go the 200 miles from IAD to home, on I-95. Yes. EIGHT hours. Planning tools think that route is great. My bloody knuckles say otherwise.

Last edited:

In the use case (last week) listed in the previous post, I drove 350 one day (VB to EWR, including the Eastern Shore, so first 245 miles with no charging). 150 with NYC traffic the next. 500 miles the next.

I’ve taken notice of where the supercharger stations are (NJTP rest areas, 95 rest areas in CT, for example) and simply put, would need more than a 70% charge to do the “homestretch” - where I drive about 245 miles, with traffic, and end up on a 17 mile bridge tunnel that experiences frequent delays.

No BEV can do it, even if I charged to 100% on the NJTP, I would be cutting it too close on the bridge at mile 250.

So, I would have to take another route, adding hours to the trip, as well as charge to 100%, which takes more than 30 minutes.

I see a BEV as a cool commuter car, but it cannot do everything I need a car to do. So, it becomes a very expensive second car

Do you mean no BEV can do it with the stop/ fueling /charging schedule you'd like to make,

- or no BEV can make it period?

EVs are not for everyone. In fact, I can make the case they are expensive toys.
Just like Corvettes, Beemers, Benzes, you name it. No one needs one of these cars.
If I just wanted to go green, a Bolt does everything green a Model 3 does, right?
Of couese then I could not make life miserable for those Vettes, Beemers and Benzes!

A nicely seasoned Camry/Accord and Tundra pretty does it all for a fraction of the price.

Do you mean no BEV can do it with the stop/ fueling /charging schedule you'd like to make,

- or no BEV can make it period?
Please see my edit.

With your map showing a supercharger near Dover which I appreciate, a BEV can do it, though it will add hours* to the time it takes an ICE for the same trip.

*yes, hours, KTS more than just a couple of 30 minute 70% charges. It needs to be 100% leaving Dover, because there is no way I can accept the risk of the Bay Bridge/Tunnel below 20% range. Too much to go wrong. A semi truck recently crashed on the CBBT. It was shut down for six hours.

Which car are you driving all these miles in?

If the comparison is to a $40-90K Tesla, then, yeah, a Lexus will do it. So will a Mercedes. Something nice. A Tesla isn’t competing with a used Camry in anyone’s mind, and I’m not interested in a beater for my monthly road trip. I’ve got a couple of cars that are nice to drive for that distance. I do it often.

The discussion was on range alone, and lack of charging infrastructure.

Even with charging available, the BEV trip is considerably longer with multiple 70% charge stops, and one big 100% stop to get me all the way home.

As infrastructure improves, the 100% “fill up” to get across the CBBT will no longer be needed, but the multitude and length of stops for a BEV still makes it unattractive for a long trip.

Possible? yes.

Attractive alternative? No.

Back