THE DRIVE : I Drove 1,000 Miles on a Single Tank in the 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

I don't wanna hear about it--I'm stuck with 26 gallons. :( I recall one family trip, in the afternoon, we had settled into a nice groove--no one needed to stop, everyone was comfortable, middle of a fast pack of traffic--but 20 gallons went by real fast at 16mpg. Long ways from home so I didn't want to run deep into reserve.

Around here diesel fuel is $2.69 and 87 gasoline is $1.83. That's a 46 percent premium for diesel. Not even counting the additional cost of the required DEF diesel fluid which is pricy.

I'm surprised some folks don't haul empty gas cans with them to fill from the excess gasoline flowing out of the filler necks of their vehicles. ;)
There are no secrets in the internet age. Any vehicle/engine combo over hundreds of thousands of miles or even millions of miles is available statistically. So for every 5.3L pickup getting an average 28 mpg there is going to be one getting 11 mpg to get to that average, over millions of miles, back to the 18-19 mpg range in mixed driving. Another thing. Unless you are recording fuel consumed at the pump, divided by miles driven with an accurate odometer, you are probably deluding yourself. Onboard trip computers are notoriously inaccurate and usually display much higher fuel economy than what is real. My father is always saying his Toyota pickup gets upwards of 30 mpg. I have never squeezed more than 20 out of it, Even accounting for driving styles and speeds that is a huge difference. His odometer is accurate, his fuel consumption trip readout is optimistic by about 15%, the rest is just hopeful thinking. Go to fuelly and see the vehicle of your choice for yourselves. Don't take my word for it. I do agree about the 3.8 V6 engines in GM cars. Mid 20's is normal enough. 30's? Nah, not over the long term. Here's the '92 model year with a 3.8 V6. close as I could find.

Reactions: JTK
I'm surprised some folks don't haul empty gas cans with them to fill from the excess gasoline flowing out of the filler necks of their vehicles. ;)
There are no secrets in the internet age. Any vehicle/engine combo over hundreds of thousands of miles or even millions of miles is available statistically. So for every 5.3L pickup getting an average 28 mpg there is going to be one getting 11 mpg to get to that average, over millions of miles, back to the 18-19 mpg range in mixed driving. Another thing. Unless you are recording fuel consumed at the pump, divided by miles driven with an accurate odometer, you are probably deluding yourself. Onboard trip computers are notoriously inaccurate and usually display much higher fuel economy than what is real. My father is always saying his Toyota pickup gets upwards of 30 mpg. I have never squeezed more than 20 out of it, Even accounting for driving styles and speeds that is a huge difference. His odometer is accurate, his fuel consumption trip readout is optimistic by about 15%, the rest is just hopeful thinking. Go to fuelly and see the vehicle of your choice for yourselves. Don't take my word for it. I do agree about the 3.8 V6 engines in GM cars. Mid 20's is normal enough. 30's? Nah, not over the long term. Here's the '92 model year with a 3.8 V6. close as I could find.

Most us know if the mpg computer is accurate or not. And yes-30mpg in a Toyota truck is impossible-20 is pushing it. Also we agree (that outlandish) "stated mpg" on the Internet without proof is rampant. And one thing about "fuelly" is that you have some guys driving for economy-and others driving like they stole the vehicle-so conditions are not controlled. Whereas an individual driver can control certain conditions (speed, acceleration techniques, tire inflation, etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
I’m doing something seriously wrong, I struggle to break 18mpg! And I’m convinced that every single Mopar has a fuel gauge that remains on full for ~100 miles then drops like a rock, but you can go pretty far with the needle pegged on E.
They must have fixed this issue on the 5th Gens. My gauge is perfectly linear.

If I drive extremely gently and avoid any idling, I can get 17 in town. Otherwise it is 15-16. Pure highway is 22-23 if I drive the speed limit with cruise control or 19-21 if driven at “normal” speeds. 3.21, 2wd, eTorque is my combo.

Back