THE DRIVE : I Drove 1,000 Miles on a Single Tank in the 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

It's always had this fuel economy. Mine is a 4x4 with 3.92 gearing and I consistently get 24 MPGs in 70/30 City/Highway.

Just can't go that far on a tank because there wasn't an option for a bigger tank when I bought mine a couple of years ago.

Very impressive. I’d have brought a few gallons with me in the bed for insurance.

Question is, did they iron out the issues with previous ecodiesels? I'm not sure i would want to be the first to find out.

You can get that (mid-20's) in a Silverado 5.3 (AFM) on the highway and not pay the diesel premium. The trick is to keep it at no faster than 70mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
You can get that (mid-20's) in a Silverado 5.3 (AFM) on the highway and not pay the diesel premium. The trick is to keep it and no faster than 70mph.
Imagine the MPG it would achieve at 40 mph! MY TDI 50mpg+ @ 70mph in the summer. My best trip with overinflated tires, no A.C. and easy accel/decel and roll through stops @ 50mph was 64mpg. Driving 80mph with the A.C. full blast I manage 46mpg average.
For a 1/2 ton pickup with a 3.0L six cylinder to get mid 20's is pretty decent. The SBC's I have driven/ridden over the years wouldn't get mid 20's. High teens if you baby them is my experience. My BIL has a newer Chevy 4x4 with a small block, not sure the size. He was whining just recently about his fuel mileage. I will actually listen next time he speaks about it.

Well-I don't know how to quite to respond to your post so a picture is worth.....(2018 Silverado Crew Cab-5.3 LTZ)

So-mixed 18ish right now
best (50 mile stretch) over 33mpg...........

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 62
Well-I don't know how to quite to respond to your post so a picture is worth.....(2018 Silverado Crew Cab-5.3 LTZ)

So-mixed 18ish right now
best (50 mile stretch) over 33mpg...........
I'm not saying you didn't get what you claim. I think your experience may be an outlier. I made a 400 mile trip last summer. My average speed was 68 mph and my from start average was 59mpg. I should have taken a few pictures.

the 33 gallon fuel tank helps.
Real world fuel economy doesnt look as great as road trip fuel economy.
eco.JPG

Last edited:
Did you guys read the article? He got 30.6 mpg traveling at or 5mph above the speed limit. Pretty significant over mid 20s. Not significant enough for me to risk the repair/emissions issues that go along with these diesels. My wife’s 6.2 Yukon XL with 5 passengers, full of luggage and 4 bikes hanging off the back got over 20 on a recent trip over 400 miles with the cruise set at 79 mph. No complaints from me.

Attachments

• 6AA05385-19BF-48D6-AC2A-B94B810A2E78.jpeg
    6AA05385-19BF-48D6-AC2A-B94B810A2E78.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 29
  • 2994761D-8B19-4BE2-8B5F-B2A5DA43620F.jpeg
    2994761D-8B19-4BE2-8B5F-B2A5DA43620F.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
MSRP of truck $71k LOL
🤣
its the highest trim, you could lol at chevy and ford trucks too :p
although its missing some good options such as air suspension.

You could get a bighorn 1,quad cab, ecodiesel for around 36k out the door iirc.
for comparison the 44k msrp were selling for around 31k and the eco diesel is 5k option.

I just squeaked out 500 miles on a tank in my Tundra getting 16.5 mpg and I was psyched. Now I'm not!

It still burned the better part of a 33 gal tank.

32 MPG is impressive all the same. Would be even better if they made this into a real suv to compete with suburbans (which are hugely useful), and car based bug suvs (which IMO are not).

I just squeaked out 500 miles on a tank in my Tundra getting 16.5 mpg and I was psyched. Now I'm not!

Rumor has it the next Tundra will be a Hybrid power train. In today's world-as I have said many times on here, you can't close to the mpg of what a 5.3 will deliver with a Tundra. BTW-I checked resale value as well-As close as I can guess, there is a $1,500 advantage at resale time in the Tundra's favor-while the OTD price will be thousand less on a new Silverado.

I'm not saying you didn't get what you claim. I think your experience may be an outlier. I made a 400 mile trip last summer. My average speed was 68 mph and my from start average was 59mpg. I should have taken a few pictures.

It's the average over 50 miles-to be a fair comparison. I don't doubt you hit 59mpg-but it's probably a few miles.

I think any vehicle under certain circumstances can get a decent stretch of MPG. That's why I like longer averages taken over years to get a handle on what to expect. The 3.0 diesel long tern is low-mid twenties and probably going to increase some with the latest iteration. Hopefully they have fixed the bugs that have plagued it over the years. SBC engines are tried and true and cost less to buy but at a 5 mpg over long term average lesser fuel mileage. The math is up to the consumer. The long term 33k miles average on my tdi is 45mpg using pen and paper and filling to the top of the neck. The lie-o-meter has me at 48mpg.

Reactions: JTK
I think any vehicle under certain circumstances can get a decent stretch of MPG. That's why I like longer averages taken over years to get a handle on what to expect. The 3.0 diesel long tern is low-mid twenties and probably going to increase some with the latest iteration. Hopefully they have fixed the bugs that have plagued it over the years. SBC engines are tried and true and cost less to buy but at a 5 mpg over long term average lesser fuel mileage. The math is up to the consumer. The long term 33k miles average on my tdi is 45mpg using pen and paper and filling to the top of the neck. The lie-o-meter has me at 48mpg.

The Eco - Diesel has been plagued with issues-and it looks like it's a solid mid-20's with mpg (hwy). And owners of the 5.3 (and maybe Ford's 3.5-I don't know I haven't checked) can get mid 20's on the highway. This mpg (5.3) has been mentioned in previous threads BTW-not just this particular one.

BTW-Payload on my Silverado is just shy of 1,500 pounds. I would be interested in the payload of the Eco-Diesel.
OppositeLocK
Could you check your yellow and white sticker in the driver's door jam for payload?
I'm betting it's less than the Silverado.

That is impressive!

I think most full size domestics today can get some decent MPGs in stock form when driven with fuel economy in mind, but it's amazing how sensitive they are once you put load rated or more aggressive tires on them. Level them, etc..

I wonder if FCA got the fuel level reading thing sorted with the Eco diesel's 33gal fuel tank? Take a 4th gen classic style with the optional 32gal tank right to the bottom and you'll be driving the last ~200 miles on E with bells and whistles going off. Even with reflashes, FCA never properly sorted that. The fuel gauge basically reads like it has the standard 26g tank even if you have the 32. I've been there..

I'm only 5 full tanks in on my new to me 2019 Ram 1500 classic with the hemi / 8spd and currently ~17K miles on it, but I have yet to get less than 21mpg average over those entire tanks and that's with not trying hard. Paid $28K for it vs. the $71K+ cost of this 3.0L diesel Ram.

That is impressive!

I think most full size domestics today can get some decent MPGs in stock form when driven with fuel economy in mind, but it's amazing how sensitive they are once you put load rated or more aggressive tires on them. Level them, etc..

I wonder if FCA got the fuel level reading thing sorted with the Eco diesel's 33gal fuel tank? Take a 4th gen classic style with the optional 32gal tank right to the bottom and you'll be driving the last ~200 miles on E with bells and whistles going off. Even with reflashes, FCA never properly sorted that. The fuel gauge basically reads like it has the standard 26g tank even if you have the 32. I've been there..

I'm only 5 full tanks in on my new to me 2019 Ram 1500 classic with the hemi / 8spd and currently ~17K miles on it, but I have yet to get less than 21mpg average over those entire tanks and that's with not trying hard. Paid $28K for it vs. the $71K+ cost of this 3.0L diesel Ram.
I’m doing something seriously wrong, I struggle to break 18mpg! And I’m convinced that every single Mopar has a fuel gauge that remains on full for ~100 miles then drops like a rock, but you can go pretty far with the needle pegged on E.

Back