the dreaded RUST!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Like what?

Coarse sand.

The problems is sand has to be cleaned up in the spring, salt just gets washed away. Also, have a look at the paint on your hood next time you drive behind a car on a heavily sanded highway.

So what would you rather have, tiny paint chips on the front of your vehicle, or the entire vehicle rotting out from under you? And the rain would wash the sand off the roads just as it does the salt...

They tried sand here a few years back, it provided traction but didn't melt the ice. In the spring the street sweepers cleaned it up. I'd rather have something that doesn't rot my car away. Opinions vary. I guess salt won because that's what they use now.

Doing a little snooping around and ran across a guy who posted he used bulk Fluid Film "which is thick" and cut it with WD40. Sounded like a good idea, any other thoughts?

Oh..... One more question Bluestream. Do you need to use a shutz / undercoating gut to apply Monarch?
The Cat oil sprays thin and dries thick. It has worked for years, but the price has been rising and now when I order it, the Cat dealer charges a bunch for shipping.

If I can only get it in Canada, I make it to ON a few times a year.

The rustproofing I use specifies cutting it with mineral spirits so it can be sprayed. The mineral spirits flash off in a day or so, leaving a good layer of rustproofing. As an added benefit, the thinned fluid creeps into the crevices where it is most needed.

I'm not intimately familiar with Fluid Film, but the guy you mentioned should read the instructions before cutting it with WD40.

I used to purchase the rust proofing package from dealer til when we bought the mdx. I am not sure the reason now, but i believe it was amount of sand, dust that stick to the rust proofing materials they use over the year that upset me (at the time). what i did was, as soon as we took delivery of the car, I spray zinc rich rust paint on all the metals include bolt, studs I can see, under the hood, under the car, around suspension components, and into any opening or holes under the car or door. then I spray rubberized coating under the body. I did not spray any thick paints or compounds into opening if there is chance of paint blocking drainage. I also spray WD40, sand, dust or dirty does not stick to it, and can be easy washoff if there is any and reapply WD40. maybe mdx already has good rustproof applied, or the paint i applied work. I only go car wash in winter when I can have enough time rinse of any salt, dirt, grims under the car. I feel it's impossible to wash, dissolve all the salt and dirt out of car in 1 minutes in automatic car wash, and it likely only help salt dissolved in the warm water and warm mist came out of jet splash. as for the 11 years old tsx, it has a few rust spots under hood liner, I spray the zinc paint on any expose area to cover them.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
How much for the Monarch?

Last was $19 per 4L jug. Cheaper to buy in in a 20L pail or most buy the 200L steel drum

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Like what?

Coarse sand.

The problems is sand has to be cleaned up in the spring, salt just gets washed away. Also, have a look at the paint on your hood next time you drive behind a car on a heavily sanded highway.

So what would you rather have, tiny paint chips on the front of your vehicle, or the entire vehicle rotting out from under you? And the rain would wash the sand off the roads just as it does the salt...

Since my oiled vehicle is impervious to rust. Ill take the salt any day. The rain may wash highways, but street sweepers are needed for city streets. (more tax dollars)

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Oh..... One more question Bluestream. Do you need to use a shutz / undercoating gut to apply Monarch?
The Cat oil sprays thin and dries thick. It has worked for years, but the price has been rising and now when I order it, the Cat dealer charges a bunch for shipping.

If I can only get it in Canada, I make it to ON a few times a year.

Yes, I use a Shutz gun. I guess you could paint it on if you had thetime.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Doing a little snooping around and ran across a guy who posted he used bulk Fluid Film "which is thick" and cut it with WD40. Sounded like a good idea, any other thoughts?

Thick it what you want, do cut it with anything

It will thicken when the WD flashes off, not everyone wishes to spend the bucks for the sprayer that Fluid Film sells.

I just put this out for others, I been using F/F for 5 years also I get my vehicles sprayed with Krown.

Since my oiled vehicle is impervious to rust. Ill take the salt any day. The rain may wash highways, but street sweepers are needed for city streets. (more tax dollars)

I approve of my tax dollars being spent sweeping the roads off. I don't approve of having to buy new vehicles because the salt they put on the roads destroys them...

What does this mean?

What does this mean?

I think he's trying to say that you want it thick and not to thin it with anything. Thing is it will thicken after sitting, or after being sprayed on.

I decided that I ought to get a decade of use out of the dedicated FF sprayer, and not have to cut the FF as a result. Since I needed a sprayer, I elected to do that. I thought it sprayed just fine.

I approve of my tax dollars being spent sweeping the roads off. I don't approve of having to buy new vehicles because the salt they put on the roads destroys them...

Grampi for President!!
01.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
I decided that I ought to get a decade of use out of the dedicated FF sprayer, and not have to cut the FF as a result. Since I needed a sprayer, I elected to do that. I thought it sprayed just fine.

How much is the FF sprayer?

I think I paid $136? I got the sprayer kit and upgraded to the pro sprayer. I got both extensions, but skipped the rigid one. Since I don't have a lift I figured the flexible wand would be my friend, and I think it worked ok. The 360degree one I did not use much, but I think it has its uses all the same, plenty of spots where it's hard to get to (inside the frame rail if its boxed for example).

It's not like the sprayer will ever rust out while in storage, LOL.

What I ought to do is offer to spray friends cars for like cost+$20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back