The Decline Of Rock Auto

I will say....while parts lookup is good their catalog won't always show every option. I recently discovered this by punching in part numbers I already had into the Part Number Search feature

They had my part numbers in stock, and their application guide proves it knows it fits my vehicle, but the listing by year/make/model didn't show it.

The thing I like about RA's catalog is the "INFO" button (I'll trust it until I get burned) for parts that are factory oddites (mid-year production changes). Sometimes, one has to choose parts using physical dimensions (ex. brake rotors) than by application. RA is pretty much the only catalog that provides dimensions.

You young whippersnappers never experienced the pleasures of dealing with JC Whitney back 50 years ago. A paper catalog, mail in your order with a check, wait two weeks, and the wrong part arrives. ...
Was your handwriting hard to read? I ordered from them a few times ~35-40 years ago, and received the wrong item only once---SAE inch-pitch thread file when I ordered an otherwise identical metric-pitch one.

You young whippersnappers never experienced the pleasures of dealing with JC Whitney back 50 years ago.

Oh boy how I loved those catalogs. It was a automotive wonderland - as a kid I spend hours reading them.
Especially with all those crazy gimmicks, doodads and gadgets they had.
Also the time and effort they put into all those illustrations - I think they didn't use photos till the 90s.

Frank

Pasted2234.png

JC-Whitney-Grip-King-Sander.jpg

JC%20Whitney%20Winking%20Animals.JPG

being canadian i may not experience the issues you yankys have , but i order several times per month and have yet to have a issue to report. 10 years of ordering give or take. the main thing is to watch your warehouses and weights

On my very first purchase from them, they sent me a used part and then gave me a hard time on the return. I will use them if they are the only choice. 🫤

being canadian i may not experience the issues you yankys have , but i order several times per month and have yet to have a issue to report. 10 years of ordering give or take. the main thing is to watch your warehouses and weights
Canadian here as well and I have had 3 separate orders this past month and everything came early and correct. I've never actually had any problems over the years. I've ordered stuff maybe 5 times total.

YES.

My brother ordered a large number of parts and one of the three packages never arrived, the tracking showed it was not sent. This jammed him up since he needed all the parts to do the work on his wife's Q70L. Rockauto email wouldn't rectify. After over a month my brother disputed it with his credit card and was refunded. Rock Auto banned him from making new purchases. The emails back and forth were ridiculous. Like talking to a wall.

Noticed about a year ago their shipping from the same place feature would conveniently not work if I tried to strategically order to keep shipping down. If I added 4 B items to my cart, one would switch to C after it was added. Like they were purposely trying to pad shipping. That seems to have stopped.

I was cleaning up a few image folders and came across this one from RA. Sometime during the lockdown, all the DIY places had zero bulbs on the hangers. Only those odd ball bulbs used no where else, like IROC-Z fog lamp bulbs were gathering dust.

I ordered some 9005's. This is what they sent:
20200504_202713_Bulbs 01.jpg
20200504_202722_Bulbs 02.jpg

I was cleaning up a few image folders and came across this one from RA. Sometime during the lockdown, all the DIY places had zero bulbs on the hangers. Only those odd ball bulbs used no where else, like IROC-Z fog lamp bulbs were gathering dust.

I ordered some 9005's. This is what they sent:
View attachment 136362View attachment 136363
if you ordered new, not one of the wholesaler closeouts or bargain priced specials, contact RockAuto and tell them what you got and I'd bet they either refund you your money and give you details on how to send back or just tell you to keep them if low priced enough...

I received an AC Delco oil filter that came similarly packaged with that kind of tape and a loose gasket...I was given a credit from Rock Auto...

Bill

Ordered an A/C condenser on close-out for a Saturn last Friday for $40.34 delivered. Arrived Wednesday after the holiday in new condition. Can't get a junkyard part that cheap or hassle free.

I have only great experiences with rockauto… They are not trying to pad the shipping fees… I work in the shipping industry and prices are insane compared to how they used to be…

And the reason that the location “A“ “B” “C” etc changes when you move items to and from your cart is not only that those items are in particular location but when you have a certain number of the items (more or less), it triggers a weight limit and switches it from USPS to FedEx do UPS etc etc, depending on what is the cheapest for that particular weight and size range… As you can see the computer algorithm calculating this gets pretty complicated and can make errors.

Since the computer algorithm calculating the shipping from multiple places is not perfect, The best thing to do is to add/remove items from your cart and kind of “manipulate the system” until you could come up with the cheapest possible scenario…

Overall, I generally find Rock Auto to be cheaper than most other places even including shipping. The only time I beat the prices found on rock auto is when I get special coupon codes…like for example Toyota is running a special that is “free shipping on orders over $200 when purchased online and you use code FREESHIP” … Or advance auto parts discount codes for 20% off, etc.

My first order with them resulted with two used rear lift-gate struts. Whoever ordered them before me did a horrible job at packaging them, and they arrived with a bunch of scotch tape covering where it was ripped open. 🫤

I have only great experiences with rockauto… They are not trying to pad the shipping fees… I work in the shipping industry and prices are insane compared to how they used to be…

And the reason that the location “A“ “B” “C” etc changes when you move items to and from your cart is not only that those items are in particular location but when you have a certain number of the items (more or less), it triggers a weight limit and switches it from USPS to FedEx do UPS etc etc, depending on what is the cheapest for that particular weight and size range… As you can see the computer algorithm calculating this gets pretty complicated and can make errors.

Since the computer algorithm calculating the shipping from multiple places is not perfect, The best thing to do is to add/remove items from your cart and kind of “manipulate the system” until you could come up with the cheapest possible scenario…

Overall, I generally find Rock Auto to be cheaper than most other places even including shipping. The only time I beat the prices found on rock auto is when I get special coupon codes…like for example Toyota is running a special that is “free shipping on orders over $200 when purchased online and you use code FREESHIP” … Or advance auto parts discount codes for 20% off, etc.
Yeah I find the a,b,c system extremely intuitive. Buying stuff like brakes and spark plugs for my truck where there is a ton of options I pick all the ones in my price range and then narrow it down by warehouse. Then the shipping is still reasonable. I haven't had any issues other than I ordered the wrong spark plug wires once, completely my fault.

Back