The days of SuperTech = Mobil gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to pick up some oil change stuffs at the local WM. The 'Mobil' 5qt jugs of ST oil are gone, in favor of WPP's product. Single qts were still Mobil...so-far.

I guess the contract was just for a year? Maybe the Hurricanes disrupted supply?

The only reason I bought ST oil was becasue it was re-labled Mobil. I hope the 'Mobil' ST comes back...it is a great deal on a great product. (But Trop Artic is always an option.)

I still haven't seen anything that would even suggest that Supertech is the same as Mobil, only that they were supplying the base stocks.

This is about supply, not base stocks. I wanted to know if Mobil was out an WPP back in. Johnny answered my question. Thanks J!

WPP 5 qy jugs replaced the 'Mobil' jugs in my area. We all know there are varaiations in the product from one lable to the next...Notice use of single quotes on 'Mobil'.

After all, I do believe the WM product is closer Exxon Superflo, but that is
offtopic.gif

Mobil jugs have the wide-mouth top with "traction" nubs for opening. The bottom of the jug has a "footprint" of ripples.

WPP jugs look as generic as those old white cans of beer.

This is a mobil-made 5 qt jug of SL rated ST:
 -

Mobil makes oil, not plastic containers. The containers are made for them elsewhere in some plastic factory or whatever. It's all marketing. If you can get a product to look similar to the best seller, then that product may start to sell better. People will notice the product more and start to think differently about it just because it's in a different jug.

The product in the blue jug above is Mobil.

Just an FYI, most of the major brands have there own injection blow molding facilities to make their own bottles. Mobil make theirs, Shell makes the Pennzoil and Quaker State bottles, Valvoline make theirs, and I believe Chevron makes their own also.

Mobil was making some product for WM but due to the storms down South had to suspend production of some private label products. Warren is just filling in. I'm sure once everything is back online you will see the return of Mobil bottles with the WM name on them.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
The product in the blue jug above is Mobil.

Johnny, just to clarify, are you saying the Supertech is made by Mobil or is mobil. This is how rumors get started.

-T

SuperTech here in the northeast, up until a few days ago, was MADE BY (from the MSDS) ExxonMobile Corperation. I would have to say that if Mobile MAKES the oil, then it IS Mobile oil. Jeebus.

Really though, does it matter? The WPP stuff gets decent UOA's and so does the XOM stuff. For $5 a 5qt jug, who cares.

BTW, Fords are ASSEMBLED by Ford, and MADE by the lowest bidders supplying parts.

[ October 03, 2005, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Zaedock ]

I'm saying some WM oil is made by Mobil. Have no idea if it's the exact same oil as what comes in the Mobil bottle.

Not sure about all Fords, but some of them keep the employees in Mexico City busy just like the Chevrolet Avalanche pickup does. If anyone doubts this, go to your local Chevy dealer and open the drivers door on one. Says it right on the mfg plate.

"Mobil" doesn't make there bottles. They are delivered by a 3rd party bottle maker. Mobil Chemical could also make the bottles but I think it has to do with who has the cheapest product. The lube plants have no bottle making equipment...

If this is the case, then my mistake. I thought a company as big as Mobil would own their own bottle plant to control cost. I know that Shell does.

My point was that just because two products are made by the same company doesn't mean they are the same. Just as Not all of Quaker state's products are the same as Pennzoil, just because they are both owned by Shell.

T-Keith: This is very true. I would doubt the product Mobil packages for WM would be the exact same product as what they put in the Mobil bottles, or as for as that goes the difference between Mobil and Exxon oils. There is some difference in all of them even if very small. This way they keep the integrity of the brand.

I don't recall anyone suggesting that ST=DCO. A simple VOA would clear up some of the doubts. It's a popular oil here, someone should do it.

ExxonMobil has said in a "Lubes & Greases" article that the API-SM & GL-4 Mobil bulk oil delivered to quick lubes is not the same as MobilClean 5000. There is no reason to assume that the oil Wally sells is the same as MC5k.

Ken

Several on this board have said outright, although not in this post, that they must be the same. A couple posts here could be construed to say that, that's why I asked for clarification.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back