The continuation of being dumped on in Restaurants needs to end.

Good, stay out. Helps keep slow people and people that are angry out of the place and keeps the line more efficient. BTW, I don't tip at any fast-food place.... You had the option for NO TIP. It was the largest, most prominent bar on the screen for you to touch.
I don't usually tip for take out, except for the small mom-and-pop restaurants, or if the cashier is really kind and goes out of their way to be helpful. Same with Dunkin. I'll tip if they are really fast or nice. I've been there, I know what it's like to work in that environment. If you are a slow POS who can't listen or is clearly frustrated you have to work, then no tip for you.

We went to Five Guys last weekend or so. Yes, Five Guys is VERY expensive for hamburgers and fries. But here's what I told my wife-

Their quality is better than any sit-down place and we didn't have to spend an hour there and wondering when someone with pink/purple hair and metal hanging out of their face was going to come by our table and huff and puff asking "if we needed anything"
Five guys is our go to restaurant when burgers are desired, top notch and worth every penny IMO. Other non-chain sit-down waiter places serve very good burgers also, just more expensive by the time you leave. And none of those serve better french fries.

For steaks, the Longhorn chain by us serves a great cowboy rib-eye steak. Not quite as good as the better steak houses, but close enough and about half of what it costs at the better steak houses.

Five guys is our go to restaurant when burgers are desired, top notch and worth every penny IMO.
Just checked the local menu, https://order.fiveguys.com/location/bethesda-auto-park-ave/menu/burgers That's crazy. Cheeseburger $11.19, regular fries 5.89, regular drink $2.99. For a family of four, that's over $85 with tax for a burgers and fries dinner. Insane. A meal at a nice steak restaurant isn't that much. Not sure how they stay in business with those prices. The burgers are a little better than fast food, but not three time as better for three times the price.

Just checked the local menu, https://order.fiveguys.com/location/bethesda-auto-park-ave/menu/burgers That's crazy. Cheeseburger $11.19, regular fries 5.89, regular drink $2.99. For a family of four, that's over $85 with tax for a burgers and fries dinner. Insane. A meal at a nice steak restaurant isn't that much. Not sure how they stay in business with those prices. The burgers are a little better than fast food, but not three time as better for three times the price.

$11.19 for a cheeseburger these days is reasonable. I’ve seen the equivalent at $18-20 dollars at many full service restaurants. Recently I paid over $18 for a small French dip sandwich.

At a nice steakhouse nearby a good steak is in the $70 range. $12-14 will get you a bowl of soup.

I also don't understand why anyone goes to 5 Guys.

By me in Southeast Florida (very close to the coast) it is cheaper, double cheeseburgers are each like $9 maybe, Two double cheeseburgers, medium fries (which are quite a bit for the two of us) and two x-large drinks are maybe $33-$34 or thereabouts.

$11.00. two tacos, one carnes asada, one beef rib, and a coke from Mexico, purchased two days ago in Tucson, az. Enjoyable fast food.
PXL_20220913_034510860.jpg

Went to a local chinese place the other day. Food was excellent, hot and more than I could possibly eat for 13.95. Today took a family member out to a long standing local establishment that people always liked. Just got grilled cheese. The cheese was not melted and the sandwich was not hot. Wife got some kind of pork on a roll and it was delivered cool. Place seems to have gone downhill a bit. How hard is it to serve the food hot?

Their prices were far more reasonable years ago. There has, of course, been inflation since then, but their competition has not increased their prices to the degree that 5 Guys has.
Went to 5 Guys last month. Price was through the ceiling for a burger. We should have gone across the street and eaten steak for almost the same price.

$11.19 for a cheeseburger these days is reasonable. I’ve seen the equivalent at $18-20 dollars at many full service restaurants. Recently I paid over $18 for a small French dip sandwich.

At a nice steakhouse nearby a good steak is in the $70 range. $12-14 will get you a bowl of soup.

Where do you live?

Thus is the insidious nature of inflation. You’re not hit over the head one day by being asked for $11.99 for a cheeseburger that used to cost $6.99. You’re gradually getting used to it (like the frog in a pan of hot water who doesn’t know he’s cooked until he’s cooked.) The trick is to work more later in life, work smarter and to never assume that you have enough.

Back