The continuation of being dumped on in Restaurants needs to end.

We were talking to the waitress as we got ready to leave. She said earlier she was serving a group who had left without paying. She claimed the restaurant's policy is she would have to pay. The look on her face made us believe her.
This is illegal everywhere in the US. The owner/ manager somehow convinces employees with low self esteem that reimbursing "the house" needs to happen. Restaurant jobs are everywhere, if IHOP is doing this, they need to walk out.

Isn't that theft? You may not like the food so you wont go back or recommend the restaurant to others, but skipping out on the bill isn't cool. Often times it comes out of the servers pay. What if the cops were called. Would it be worth the hassle?
If you leave the food uneaten there isn't a cop I know who would even think about hasseling you. I imagine they would have some sympathy because I'll bet they have the same thing happen to them.

You should come here if you like Mexican food. They sell it from their garages,tents and even trailers on every corner.

The folks in my neighborhood call the closest paved corner "The food court".

We are sick of Mexican food!

We keep hoping for a bbq guy to roll up at the food court or a hotdog guy..... anything but Mexican food!
What about Apollo Burger?

Ridiculous food

I and a friend of mine attended Texas Roadhouse last month. Service was horrible. We had to literally ask for silverware and napkins,sorry people,but we aren't cave people anymore.

One of the reasons we don't eat out anymore, nobody cares period.
Well that is the opposite of my experience at our local Texas Roadhouse. The restaurant is crawling with attentive employees, from greeter, bus boys, servers and bartenders. Everything I've tried on the menu is tasty, served hot and promptly. A manager walks around asking if everything is OK and the prices haven't gone up and the portions are the same. The place is always packed no matter the time of day. They have a $10.99 week day early bird menu that includes a 6 oz. sirloin that is quite good, with two sides. Of course you get hot yeast rolls with butter as soon as you are seated. It is our go to place to dine out.

IHOP and CB have to be two of the worst chain restaurants around. The only reason to eat at either is to get the most empty calories per dollar.

To solve the restaurant challenges of today is fairly simple.

Many competent people would like to own/ run a local restaurant, and may have the skills to run a successful establishment. The things holding these people back from leaving their employer and starting a restaurant is the cost of health insurance.

Have truly free and open markets in healthcare marketplace at all levels in the USA, entrepreneurship will blast off in the USA, to include restaurants. Of note, the healthcare lobby is typically the number one spending lobby annually on Capital Hill.
Most people don't realize that the reason health insurance is tied to employment is that during WWII wages were frozen and price controlled by the government so employers started offering health insurance as a benefit to get around the wage freeze. 80 years later the system remains in place because it became entrenched.

Years back the Roadhouse was awesome! I'd always get the Chicken Critters and they had this cinnamon tasting crispy crunchy batter on them that rivaled any other chicken. Last few times we've been, they've tasted like frozen Tyson chicken strips from the grocery store. Very disappointing.
Our local Texas Roadhouse hasn't changed except to expand to a larger building to seat all of the customers that line up to eat. The food and service is still consistently good. The prices haven't changed and the portions are still generous. The only thing that has changed over the years is they no longer have a bucket of peanuts on the table. And the place is always packed. You have to get there early unless you want to wait in line.

Don't even have a waffle maker and not going through the hassle making up batter for one waffle. I have those Eggos 6 or more mornings in a row, one box full, and they are better than any other home made or restaurant made I've had.

Those aren’t waffles, just cardboard tasting impressions.

Reactions: GON
This is illegal everywhere in the US. The owner/ manager somehow convinces employees with low self esteem that reimbursing "the house" needs to happen. Restaurant jobs are everywhere, if IHOP is doing this, they need to walk out.
While true, restaurant owners mis treat their employees all the time. We use to frequent this Mexican restaurant locally until we learned in the news the owner was stealing from his own employees. Apparently it happens in a number of ways in a number of places. Realize that the minimum wage working poor serving you are some of the most vulnerable people in our society, so its easy to believe.

Edit - its also one of the reasons I always tip in cash when dining in as well. They likely don't make enough to pay much income tax anyway, so why let the owner hold their money for even 1 minute, if in fact they do give it all back.

Thanks to Covid changing our eating habits, the wife and I rarely eat out anymore, except for the local Mexican restaurant we've been a patron since 2005, and a local seafood chain (Ivar's). Otherwise, the KitchenAid 5-burner grill w/sear burner bought in 2017 @ Costco has been used year-round, such as grilling fresh King, Coho, and Sockeye salmon, depending on the season, on a Cedar plank... yum! Tonight, I'm grilling chicken breast as a side for Spaghetti w/freshly-grated Mizithra cheese & butter, along with grilled green beans and butter lettuce/spinach salad (vs going to Old Spaghetti Factory).

Last edited:
Thanks to Covid changing our eating habits, the wife and I rarely eat out anymore, except for the local Mexican restaurant we've been a patron since 2005, and a local seafood chain (Ivar's). Otherwise, the KitchenAid 5-burner grill w/sear burner bought in 2017 @ Costco has been used year-round, such as grilling fresh King, Coho, and Sockeye salmon, depending on the season, on a Cedar plank... yum! Tonight, I'm grilling chicken breast as a side for Spaghetti w/freshly-grated Mizithra cheese & butter, along with grilled green beans and butter lettuce/spinach saled (vs going to Old Spaghetti Factory).

🤤

I haven't eaten out in over 5 years (far too much sugar, salt, and industrially processed fat in a vast majority of the food), and this thread has verified my belief that good service, the only saving grace in the restaurant experience, is an utter crapshoot these days. After having scanned menus recently out of curiosity, I can't imagine having to pay the ridiculously inflated prices restaurants charge, either. A few years ago, my wife and I made a conscious decision to invest the effort in daily home cooking, and the dividends have been immense in terms of health and household budget.

Thanks to Covid changing our eating habits, the wife and I rarely eat out anymore, except for the local Mexican restaurant we've been a patron since 2005, and a local seafood chain (Ivar's). Otherwise, the KitchenAid 5-burner grill w/sear burner bought in 2017 @ Costco has been used year-round, such as grilling fresh King, Coho, and Sockeye salmon, depending on the season, on a Cedar plank... yum! Tonight, I'm grilling chicken breast as a side for Spaghetti w/freshly-grated Mizithra cheese & butter, along with grilled green beans and butter lettuce/spinach saled (vs going to Old Spaghetti Factory).

Used to go to the OSF in downtown Tacoma at the old location. That is before it all went to heck in a hand basket down there. The new location is not impressive. I avoid the area.

Used to go to the OSF in downtown Tacoma at the old location. That is before it all went to heck in a hand basket down there. The new location is not impressive. I avoid the area.
I can remember going to the downtown Seattle OSF in the 2000s, which closed December 2016. Now, no way I'm even getting close to that area of the city.

Isn't that theft? You may not like the food so you wont go back or recommend the restaurant to others, but skipping out on the bill isn't cool. Often times it comes out of the servers pay. What if the cops were called. Would it be worth the hassle?
Theft is when you eat the food and walk. They didn't eat it. It was served cold.

A great server can make some pretty serious money on tips alone. A family member was a server for ten years. She went to school and became a registered nurse. It took her a few years of nursing to catch up to what she was making in tips.
You are not going to make in tips what a nurse makes being a server at Dennys. Also-some states have a lower wage for servers that is well below the NON SERVER minimum wage with the thought process being that will make it up in tips. That is a false assumption on many days.
see chart-

You are not going to make in tips what a nurse makes being a server at Dennys. Also-some states have a lower wage for servers that is well below the market wage, with the thought process being that will make it up in tips. That is a false assumption on many days.
see chart-

I cannot imagine a waitress making what a nurse makes.

Back