The continuation of being dumped on in Restaurants needs to end.

finding a good place to eat anywhere is easy. just do a search on google for all the places in the area you are interested to go and voila. you will have a map will all the places with reviews. i never go to any places with less than 4 stars average review and at least a hundred reviews. no more dissapointments. you can have a mcdonalds that has 534 reviews and is 2.8 stars average and one that has over a thousand reviews and is 4,3 stars average. when the vast majority is happy and satisfied, chances are very high you will be satisfied too.

The lady friend and I went to Long John's 10 days ago . We like the fish. When we came in, a out of town manager substitute was just starting to train a new person. Our food took about 7 minutes to be delivered by the temp manager. We struck up a conversation. She said the young lady who took my order just walked out after 35 minutes on the job. It's a crap shoot out there . The food was good.

Then you're stiffing the busboy the dish washer etc who are paid less than minimum wage because they are "tipped."
While it is often common practice in the U.S., sharing of the waitstaff's tips in a combined pool with some of the "backend" staff in a restaurant actually violates Federal Labor Laws. The story linked below is a long, but fascinating read that details how a local restaurant in Salem, Virginia (near Automechanic's stomping ground) was sued in 2018 and forced into bankruptcy by a con artist for violating this seldom known law. This story has a happy ending as the local townsfolk rallied to support the owners to prevent shuttering the business during this debacle and the pandemic. In fact, the restaurant was named the state's outstanding restaurant in 2021 by the Virginia Restaurant Association. The story seems incredulous like a scene from "It's a Wonderful Life"; however, it is 100% true as I know the owner, Bob Rotanz.

Mac and Bob's Lawsuit

Wife read in the local news that a nearby family run breakfast / lunch café decided to close its doors - been there 15 years. They said first it was the lock downs, then it was costs too high, labor too short, and supply of wholesale food was too unreliable - wasn't worth the hassle anymore. We didn't' frequent it but went a couple times and it was always busy and I had no complaints.

Wife read in the local news that a nearby family run breakfast / lunch café decided to close its doors - been there 15 years. They said first it was the lock downs, then it was costs too high, labor too short, and supply of wholesale food was too unreliable - wasn't worth the hassle anymore. We didn't' frequent it but went a couple times and it was always busy and I had no complaints.

Yep. So many uncertainties that can destroy a mom & pop business.

Not once in my life have I ever heard of back staff (cooks, bussers, etc) working off tips. The whole idea of tipping comes from direct interaction face to face between servers and customers (hence the server is basically working directly for the customer). I've known many servers who couldn't cut it being a server, and moved to the kitchen where they'll have zero interaction with the customers and went from a tipping type salary to an hourly wage type salary.

You are way nicer than I am. I go to a restaurant to have hot food (if hot) and cold food (if cold) served to me in an orderly fashion. If I don't get that, someone is hearing about it, whether it's the waiter, the manager, or the owner. I have absolutely no problem getting up and walking out when service is complete crap.

I don't tolerate people being terrible in general. We were at the state fair yesterday....my FIL, me, and my two children. We had 2 strollers and most people generally follow the universally known walkway paths of forward on the right, oncoming on the left. This retard and his wife/gf were standing in the middle doing absolutely nothing. As we walk up to him, he says to his wife/gf, "what are we doing?" To which I said, as we passed, "standing in the middle blocking peoples' paths, doing absolutely nothing." I don't think he could comprehend my statement or how I was making fun of him.
It never fails. You try to walk in a Walmart or especially a Costco and large families or large people just stop in the doorway and look around. A busy place like Costco, where you know you need a membership card to get in, they walk in the front door, go whoa where's my card and look for it while people with carts pile up behind them. I've gotten to the point where I say Excuse you for standing in the front door.

I don't tolerate people being terrible in general. We were at the state fair yesterday....my FIL, me, and my two children. We had 2 strollers and most people generally follow the universally known walkway paths of forward on the right, oncoming on the left. This retard and his wife/gf were standing in the middle doing absolutely nothing. As we walk up to him, he says to his wife/gf, "what are we doing?" To which I said, as we passed, "standing in the middle blocking peoples' paths, doing absolutely nothing." I don't think he could comprehend my statement or how I was making fun of him.

National Parks have a lot of tour-bus and instagram tourists like that; groups using entire walk ways, walking right down the middle, or clogging up a foot bridge. I eventually stopped caring and walk straight into folks who do that.

Not once in my life have I ever heard of back staff (cooks, bussers, etc) working off tips. The whole idea of tipping comes from direct interaction face to face between servers and customers (hence the server is basically working directly for the customer). I've known many servers who couldn't cut it being a server, and moved to the kitchen where they'll have zero interaction with the customers and went from a tipping type salary to an hourly wage type salary.

Worked as a cook for several years in high school and early college at a Happy Chef (think Perkins or Village Inn), and got tipped a few times every weekend for well cooked meals. I certainly never counted on it, but it was nice.

The lady friend and I went to Long John's 10 days ago . We like the fish. When we came in, a out of town manager substitute was just starting to train a new person. Our food took about 7 minutes to be delivered by the temp manager. We struck up a conversation. She said the young lady who took my order just walked out after 35 minutes on the job. It's a crap shoot out there . The food was good.

Restaurants need to be creative to retain and hire employees. They have to offer MORE. For example-any chain restaurant that is traded under a corporate umbrella on the stock exchange should offer some sort of deal on it's stock for an incentive to the people who actually serve, cook and bus the tables. . Instead-the CEO's and other top employees want to make millions of dollars in salary and stock options.

Sometimes-business is not rocket science and the answers are there.

Back