Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Sampling of Automaker oil change recommendations for NORMAL and SEVERE driving
AUTOMAKER NORMAL SEVERE
FORD 7,500 miles 3,000 miles
CHRYSLER 5,000 miles 3,000 miles
TOYOTA 5,000 miles 3,000 miles
NISSAN 7,500 miles 3,750 miles

Toyota in 2005 dropped any severe comments. ALL of their vehicles no matter service conditions the OCI is 5k or 6months. I've posted the page in the manual here too many times.

Take care, bill

I generally think 5,000 miles or 6 months is the new 3,000 miles. It's as safe as 3,000 mile changes were way back when with carbeurated engines and lackluster lubricants. Depending on driving style, if you rarely operate a car but when you do, it's not all short trips, I'd say 5,000 miles or 1 year is perfectly safe and even conservative (TBN wise).

Valvoline makes great products, but their marketing department really irks me the wrong way. I'd much rather see commercials with a bearded Scottish man whipping people with a dipstick or Pennzoil's "Feel the Clean" commercials any day than to read their B.S... yet I still like their products. There's something wrong with me. I just won't follow their recommendations
grin2.gif

Selling oil unnecessarily to make more profit at the expense of the environment and owner's wallet..

Goodbye Valvoline, I won't be giving you my money.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
What's that smell? *sniffs*. Smells like a bull just defecated. That's my thoughts on their outdated tripe
lol.gif

You hit the nail RIGHT on the head!

I've used Valvoline for decades, and up until 2 or 3 years ago used it pretty much exclusively. But I agree with others I don't like their marketing.

I've always hated their slogan: "Those who know use Valvoline". Those who know what? How to make the most money? How to put out the most baloney? (since the words I'm thinking of will be filtered)

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

I've always hated their slogan: "Those who know use Valvoline". Those who know what? How to make the most money? How to put out the most baloney? (since the words I'm thinking of will be filtered)

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
Selling oil unnecessarily to make more profit at the expense of the environment and owner's wallet..

Goodbye Valvoline, I won't be giving you my money.

No different than Quaker State and their 3000 mile guarantee geared for the fast lubes.

Chevron doesn't advertise their oil such as the Delo400 ... marketing for quarts to slow. Their bulk are 50 gallon drums for commercial usage not for fast lubes.

Their marketing is certainly no worse than Castrol's.
At least there is no "think with your dipstick" nonsense, an obvious phalic reference.

"Older vehicles, older recommendations

Want another reason to change the oil every 3,000 miles? The median age of passenger cars in operation in the U.S. was 9.4 years in 2008, according to R. L. Polk & Co. Just over 41 percent of all cars were 11 years or older. Automakers recommended the 3,000 mile oil change interval for most of those 100 million older cars and trucks."

Well, if I was using the same old SJ oil from 11 years ago.....yeah.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
"Older vehicles, older recommendations

Want another reason to change the oil every 3,000 miles? The median age of passenger cars in operation in the U.S. was 9.4 years in 2008, according to R. L. Polk & Co. Just over 41 percent of all cars were 11 years or older. Automakers recommended the 3,000 mile oil change interval for most of those 100 million older cars and trucks."

Well, if I was using the same old SJ oil from 11 years ago.....yeah.

Shoot, most of the Toyotas and Hondas from the early 90s had 7,500 mile service intervals for normal conditions.

Originally Posted By: semaj281
Originally Posted By: buster
ValvolineMobil1/Amsoil.

Please explain.

Valvoline is catering to the quick lube market, which pushes 3,000 mile oil change intervals. I can't even think of a modern car today that specifically states 3,000 mile OCI. Most are at least 5-7k now.

Mobil and Amsoil on the other hand, offer and suggest longer intervals with their synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back