The car connection talks about oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda got in trouble with Civics IIRC. The "fine" was relatively minor, they had to install free spark plugs on a certain bunch of cars. Their press release went to the effect of "we regret our interpretation of emissions laws is not the same as the EPAs."

" ... Viscosity is a fluid's resistance to flow. Turn over a bottle of Heinz ketchup. It doesn't want to flow. That is a high viscosity, say a 50-weight. ... "

lol.gif

Hey, what about those poor BMW owners running 10W-60 in their Driving Machines? Or those unenlightened souls over in Oz, using 20W-70? Might as well pour epoxy in the engine, eh?

quote:

" ... Viscosity is a fluid's resistance to flow. Turn over a bottle of Heinz ketchup. It doesn't want to flow. That is a high viscosity, say a 50-weight. ... "

That's wrong. I use a 20W-60 and the oil still flows off the dipstick like any other oil.
grin.gif

As for the engine not turing over on a 30wt oil at 10F, he needed a new battery, not thinner oil.

Dave

[ March 03, 2004, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

quote:

The bulk of cars today use 5W30, but if you have a late-model Honda or Ford you will find special notices requiring 5W20 oil under threat of voiding your warranty. This is an emissions issue, not an engine protection issue. You see, all engines burn some oil, even if it's not enough to notice on the dipstick. And the sulfur in the oil takes its toll on the catalytic converter. 5W20 is low-sulfur oil.

that is new news to me. I thought the migration to 5w20 was only CAFE/EPA and fuel economy. I wonder where is info source is from- for 5w20 being low sulfur.

Additionally, if the reason for 5w20 oil is emissions, it seems counter-intuitive. I would think the 20 weight would be more apt to get past the rings and burn, especially as more miles are put on the motor. And doesn't thinner oil have a tendancy to burn off quicker when hot?

quote:

Oil is rated is rated by its viscosity. Viscosity is a fluid's resistance to flow. Turn over a bottle of Heinz ketchup. It doesn't want to flow. That is a high viscosity, say a 50-weight.

grin.gif
grin.gif

The viscosity of Heinz Ketchup needed investigating. So here are a few facts

Motor Oil SAE 40
Viscosity (in centipoise) 250-500
Heinz Ketchup (no onion)
grin.gif

Viscosity (in centipoise) 50,000 to 70,000

So you can see there is no relationship between the viscosity of motor oil and Heinz Ketchup.
ref:
http://www.research-equipment.com/viscosity chart.html

cheers
Dave

[ March 04, 2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

Motor oil is close to Newtonian. The viscosity does not change much with shear or time. Ok, it may shear down, but that is permanent, it doesn't recover. Catsup is very different. Take the cap off, turn it over, and none comes out. Shake it up good with the cap on, and it may pour. Let it set for a while, and it won't pour again. Turn it over and hit the bottom, and it all comes out.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
20W70 is for sheila's. Men use 40W70!

Too freakin' funny!!

I think you need to put this on a t-shirt. One sentence on the front, the other on the back.

quote:

Originally posted by DavoNF:
Heinz Ketchup (no onion)

And you guys get ketchup w/onions?! Man, life's just not fair ...

[ March 05, 2004, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Eiron ]

quote:

Originally posted by DavoNF:

quote:

Oil is rated is rated by its viscosity. Viscosity is a fluid's resistance to flow. Turn over a bottle of Heinz ketchup. It doesn't want to flow. That is a high viscosity, say a 50-weight.

grin.gif
grin.gif

The viscosity of Heinz Ketchup needed investigating. So here are a few facts

Motor Oil SAE 40
Viscosity (in centipoise) 250-500
Heinz Ketchup (no onion)
grin.gif

Viscosity (in centipoise) 50,000 to 70,000

So you can see there is no relationship between the viscosity of motor oil and Heinz Ketchup.
ref:
http://www.research-equipment.com/viscosity chart.html

cheers
Dave

OK, ketchup is too thick for my motor - would mustard be OK?

More intelligent comments on oil from "the experts" on these various fix-it forums and shows.
rolleyes.gif

Who were the rocket scientist mechanics who once compared thicker motor oils to peanut butter?
rolleyes.gif

Is it any wonder BITOG has been a hit?

--- Bror Jace

[ March 05, 2004, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Bror Jace ]

Shucks I wounder how all those grease or vasoline primed oil pumps have ever survived! I would thinck grease or vasoline would be at least as thick as heinz with not a single engine failure! No I do not use vasoline put knew of tech.'s that did. I used white grease.

I'm sitting here at work with a quart bottle of Pennzoil Performax 100 5W50 and I can assure you it's a lot thinner than the glass of V8 vegetable juice I'm drinking, a lot thinner. It appears the majority in the US/Canada have never seen a 50/60/70 weight oil. It just ain't that thick fella's!!

WOW! You can extend your OCI all the way to 5000 miles with synthetic!

Sometimes I feel like hitting my head against the wall...

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Don't know if I buy that Honda got in trouble for their emissions.

Honda got in large trouble for their emmissions and it covered our butts. My fiance left her check engine light on her 96 Civic for two years until the car started to stall after high speed. At 140k and 8 years old Honda replaced the Cat converter and two oxygen sensors due to this ruling for free.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
I'm sitting here at work with a quart bottle of Pennzoil Performax 100 5W50 and I can assure you it's a lot thinner than the glass of V8 vegetable juice I'm drinking, a lot thinner. It appears the majority in the US/Canada have never seen a 50/60/70 weight oil. It just ain't that thick fella's!!

That is because it is a 5w at 40 celsius. You need to hold a straight 50w or 60w non synthetic to get the effect.

Heat it up to 100C and then heat up a 5w20 and compare the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back