The BMW i4's are coming!

I also think the car looks pretty good. I've been watching videos and oh, did I mention, I really like the look of the BMW!
I find it interesting that the BMW accelerates harder than the Tesla at higher speeds. Keep in mind that by the time the BMW passes the Tesla, it's long been accelerating harder.

With that in mind, I'd like to see a comparison of acceleration graphs, much like dyno graphs, that show at what speed cars like the BMW are more powerful. It is one thing to match up at 30MPH, and quite another to be on Interstate 95 at normal speeds.

Last edited:
This is a good review:

Thomas liked the styling and the driving experience but the interior was tight, especially in the rear seats and the lack of manual climate control knobs were negatives from his review.

Considering how long that car is it’s puzzling why the interior space got so cramped. It would seem the designers and engineers were constrained.

I also think the car looks pretty good. I've been watching videos and oh, did I mention, I really like the look of the BMW!
I find it interesting that the BMW accelerates harder than the Tesla at higher speeds. Keep in mind that by the time the BMW passes the Tesla, it's long been accelerating harder.

With that in mind, I'd like to see a comparison of acceleration graphs, much like dyno graphs, that show at what speed cars like the BMW are more powerful. It is one thing to match up at 30MPH, and quite another to be on Interstate 95 at normal speeds.

Power to weight becomes less important at higher speeds, and power as such becomes more important

12 second qtr is the slowest Model 3 Performance on the planet... Ha!
How much is that BMW electric rocket anyways? Looks like a worthy competitor to the best out there.
I'll bet I could get trouble real quick in that car...

Last edited:
Thomas liked the styling and the driving experience but the interior was tight, especially in the rear seats and the lack of manual climate control knobs were negatives from his review.

Considering how long that car is it’s puzzling why the interior space got so cramped. It would seem the designers and engineers were constrained.
It's the same inside as a 3/4 series, the complaint stems from the physical size of the car and, with there being no conventional powertrain, why the interior wasn't opened up a bit more. I thought his remark on the steering being "light" and it getting a bit wild under hard acceleration was also interesting, as I watched another review:

And he had basically the same criticism. Seems there's a bit too much bias allowed for the front wheels that gives you a bit of torque steer. BMW may want to adjust that, increase rear bias a bit more to correct this.

If you look at this picture that @wemay posted earlier in the thread:
1647472167276.jpg

you can see that the "centre tunnel" is in fact being used for EV purposes with this design, despite the comments about it being an artifact of the car being an ICE platform (which isn't true, the platform was designed to also be hybrid and EV). This car has its own floor pan and own rear subframe, so they could have gotten rid of the centre section if they wanted to, but it seems they instead decided to add it to the pan and use it for wiring. I suspect this also allowed them to recycle more of the 3/4 series interior bits too, which I'm sure was on their mind with the design.

Last edited:
12 second qtr is the slowest Model 3 Performance on the planet... Ha!
How much is that BMW electric rocket anyways? Looks like a worthy competitor to the best out there.
I'll bet I could get trouble real quick in that car...
The M50 version is very close in price to a Model Y Performance.

It's the same inside as a 3/4 series, the complaint stems from the physical size of the car and, with there being no conventional powertrain, why the interior wasn't opened up a bit more. I thought his remark on the steering being "light" and it getting a bit wild under hard acceleration was also interesting, as I watched another review:

And he had basically the same criticism. Seems there's a bit too much bias allowed for the front wheels that gives you a bit of torque steer. BMW may want to adjust that, increase rear bias a bit more to correct this.

If you look at this picture that @wemay posted earlier in the thread:
View attachment 92967

you can see that the "centre tunnel" is in fact being used for EV purposes with this design, despite the comments about it being an artifact of the car being an ICE platform (which isn't true, the platform was designed to also be hybrid and EV). This car has its own floor pan and own rear subframe, so they could have gotten rid of the centre section if they wanted to, but it seems they instead decided to add it to the pan and use it for wiring. I suspect this also allowed them to recycle more of the 3/4 series interior bits too, which I'm sure was on their mind with the design.

It makes sense to have one floor pan for both.

Nice vehicle for sure!! Unfortunately the cost of BMW ownership is not within my budget. The grill looks like a copy of the Lexus split down the middle.

So, I tried today iX.
Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
1. Performance.
2. Range is not bad, 360mls.
3. Handling is ridiculous considering the weight.
4. Built quality.

Cons:

1. Everything is on the screen.
2. Electric handle inside. There is a mechanical at the bottom to get out.

And that is where the red line is for me. Why complicate AC features? Yes, the menu is simple, but still, I have to look at the screen to find what I want to do.
And then that Tesla BS with an electronic button to get out. Absolutely no way.

Regardless of very good performance, light years better handling than similar EV's, as well as built quality, everything on screen and that electronic handle are non-starters.

So, I tried today iX.
Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
1. Performance.
2. Range is not bad, 360mls.
3. Handling is ridiculous considering the weight.
4. Built quality.

Cons:

1. Everything is on the screen.
2. Electric handle inside. There is a mechanical at the bottom to get out.

And that is where the red line is for me. Why complicate AC features? Yes, the menu is simple, but still, I have to look at the screen to find what I want to do.
And then that Tesla BS with an electronic button to get out. Absolutely no way.

Regardless of very good performance, light years better handling than similar EV's, as well as built quality, everything on screen and that electronic handle are non-starters.
Should also take a peek at the i4.

Back