The Best Winter Tires Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: Pablo
I don't get it. No Nokians to fit the 2017+ 18" CRV rims. That's terrible.

Um, the hakka r2 is available in 235/60r18

Please provide a link to Discount and Tire Rack. Searching around on their sites gives me a head-ache and comes up empty. Thank you!@!@!

It's listed on Nokian's website
https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2-suv/

Just because DTD doesn't have it listed it doesn't nokian doesn't make it.

Thanks! And it looks like they list Discount Tire

Great tires. Been running them in the exact same size on wife's Q5 for a few winters now.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
For truck tires Bridgestone Blizzaks are called Bridestone Dueler. They are great winter tires but will wear out fast if you run them in warm weather. They have a soft rubber that has microscopic holes in it that allow the tire rubber to get through the microscopic layer of water that forms on the surface of ice when a tire comes into contact with it. Getting through that surface layer to the hard ice is why they have traction even on ice without studs. Don't expect the kind of traction you have on dry pavement when you are on ice, but if you take it easy you will be able to have complete control on ice.

They are NOT called Dualer.
Dualer is Bridgestone's truck tire for everything else except winter. Winter is designated as Blizzak as any other Bridgestone's winter tire except their designation starts with DM. Current Bridgestone Blizzak for trucks is DM-V2.

That's incorrect. Blizzaks are for all of their studless winter tires, whether it's WS, LM, or DM. Bridgestone has a line of studded winter tires line called Noranza that's available in certain markets.

And those markets would be? The U.S?

Originally Posted By: edyvw
For truck tires Bridgestone Blizzaks are called Bridestone Dueler. They are great winter tires but will wear out fast if you run them in warm weather. They have a soft rubber that has microscopic holes in it that allow the tire rubber to get through the microscopic layer of water that forms on the surface of ice when a tire comes into contact with it. Getting through that surface layer to the hard ice is why they have traction even on ice without studs. Don't expect the kind of traction you have on dry pavement when you are on ice, but if you take it easy you will be able to have complete control on ice.

They are NOT called Dualer.
Dualer is Bridgestone's truck tire for everything else except winter. Winter is designated as Blizzak as any other Bridgestone's winter tire except their designation starts with DM. Current Bridgestone Blizzak for trucks is DM-V2.

I apologize for being wrong. I was repeating what I was told a few years ago by a tire supplier that sells Bridgestone tires.

Thanks for setting things correct.

We all assume that people who sell tires know what they selling. That is how guy in Discount Tire wanted to sell me typical all season tire as snow tire. After I lost patience explaining that all season and winter tire are not same, and manager took over, he asked question: well it says all season? right? for all season?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

Also here:

https://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tiresearc...=Nokian%20Tires

Very cool. Got them for $190 from DT. They had them at a different location and the guy too got a little confused until I told them he must put SUV after the R2. Then Bingo! The Blizzaks were $165-$170 as I recall, it's for the wife. I so I went big!!
lol.gif

Nokian Hakkapellitta R2 were absolutely AMAZING on the CRV last night. Passed all sorts of 4x4's trying to go up hills. I really didn't detect any slipping so the snow must not have been that bad - mostly people just freaking. Wife should be able to get about as needed.

Nokian WRG3 SUV All weather. Directional tread. 50,000 tread life. Can stay on all summer. Changed my AWD mountaineer from go no where to go any where in winter. Purchased from (the automotive works). On line.

Last edited:
I’ve a few years experience with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2. Fantastic Winter Performance tire in freezing, wet, slush, icy, and snow conditions. They lasted my quite a while. +2 years with plenty of tread left.

For an AT tire, I highly recommend the Goodyear Dura-Trac. Mine have about 29k miles on them with about 8/32" tread left[50k warr], and this last Christmas day, my Colorado had no problems driving in 6" of snow in 2WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back