The Best SAE 30 Diesel Engine Oil

If you're asking for straight 30 grade for an old 2 stroke diesel, then whatever you can find that's CF-2 rated, if it's a 4 stroke diesel you're looking for oil, look for any 10W30 HDEO that meets the specs you need for the interval spec'd by the manufacturer, if whatever you're running doesn't specify any specifications just use any CK-4 10W30.

Chevron Delo 400 would be great for that application
If you can find it. Rotella T1 is probably more available, if retailers haven't pulled it from shelves yet, straight grades are getting harder to find, and some of the straight grade diesel oil is only for two stroke diesels, 10W30 or even 15W40 oil can be used as a substitute if you want something more locally available, although with them being 50+ year old engines if high consumption is seen on a multi grade oil, going back to straight grade may work out better.

If you're fine with 5 gallon buckets, If you got a rural king nearby, you could see if they still got any of the 5gal Jugs of 15W40 Delvac MX F3, which is CI-4+ diesel oil for pre 2007 diesel engines and off highway diesel equipment running higher sulfur fuel, they're clearancing it for like $17/pail

If you can find it. Rotella T1 is probably more available, if retailers haven't pulled it from shelves yet, straight grades are getting harder to find, and some of the straight grade diesel oil is only for two stroke diesels, 10W30 or even 15W40 oil can be used as a substitute if you want something more locally available, although with them being 50+ year old engines if high consumption is seen on a multi grade oil, going back to straight grade may work out better.
Both Tractor Supply and Walmart in my area have the Rotella T1 straight 30 wt. (1 gal. jug) on the shelf. Tractor Supply also has the Traveller brand straight 30 wt. HDEO (1 gal. jug) in stock as well.

Last edited:
Both Tractor Supply and Walmart in my area have the Rotella T1 straight 30 wt. (1 gal. jug) on the shelf. Tractor Supply also has the Traveller brand straight 30 wt. HDEO (1 gal. jug) in stock as well.
I was just at our WalMart and they had cf-2 sae30 in their supertech brand. Kinda strange as the engines that use it were banned in Ca 20+ years ago.

Thanks! I have 2 60’s John Deere diesels (4 strokes)
Straight 30 is so obsolete. I know most say to follow the manual, but things have come a long ways too. I doubt you’re running these in the cold so I’ll spare you the finer details, but this stuff isn’t exactly easy to find either.

15w40 is the new straight 30. Has been since like 1987. $12 a gallon at your local Walmart. 👍

The last I known the traveller brand SAE 30 HDEO they carried was CF-2 and meant for 2 stroke diesels. Maybe that's changed, I'm confused by their website when you find the oil in different sized containers the description gives conflicting info and they don't show the backs of the bottles/pails. One says it's CJ-4, another size mentions SN, then when you look down in the specifications table it says "performance specifications: API CF-2"

Back