The Best SAE 30 Diesel Engine Oil

Straight 30 is so obsolete. I know most say to follow the manual, but things have come a long ways too. I doubt you’re running these in the cold so I’ll spare you the finer details, but this stuff isn’t exactly easy to find either.

15w40 is the new straight 30. Has been since like 1987. $12 a gallon at your local Walmart. 👍
Yes I know. The new CK-4 is very low on zddp. Both of my tractors use flat taps on the cam. If you do a little research straight weight oils are still in use in locomotives and Marine engines. Engines that are under a high load consistently. Pulling a 10 ft bush hog loads my 100hp tractor up pretty good.

Yes I know. The new CK-4 is very low on zddp. Both of my tractors use flat taps on the cam. If you do a little research straight weight oils are still in use in locomotives and Marine engines. Engines that are under a high load consistently. Pulling a 10 ft bush hog loads my 100hp tractor up pretty good.
I don't think the flat tappets are that big of a deal, the problem comes from high tension springs and aggressive cam grinds, I'm sure a low reving diesel tractor probably isn't gonna destroy itself because the oil doesn't have above 800ppm of phosphorous, although a good portion of HDEOs have between 1000-1200ppm. Probably any modern HDEO is better than whatever JD was suggesting you put in these back in the 60s.

Definitely not the same, but dad has an old Ford 2 cylinder diesel. They definitely have a sound of their own. Less refined. Slight misfire perhaps? Quite enjoyable.
Two cyl. diesel engines of any brand not only sound good to some people, but less is more (as in fewer number of moving parts). It's 2 cyl. diesels for the win every time in my book.

Back