The annual "polish + protection" detail

My 2012 Accord has Taffeta White paint, which at least on the 7th and 8th gen Accord's is single stage. I live in Florida and most days the car sits outside during the day exposed to the sun and elements. This takes it's toll even though I am faithful in washing and using a spray wax on a regular basis. I know that keeping it washed and spray waxed has helped, as my former co-worker has the exact same car as me (same year, model, paint color and even purchased with the same milage as mine only 2 weeks after I purchased mine) and her car's paint is very chalky and dingy looking.

Over a years time I can tell the paint has lost a bit of it's luster, though most probably wouldn't see a difference. I like to keep our cars looking as new as possible so once a year I try to do a more though detail. This typically involves using a polish of some sort, followed by a layer of sealant or a more heavy duty wax (vs using spray wax). The products used have varied over the years.

Today I started off with a wash, then used IronX by CarPro to decontaminate the paint. I then followed by using NuFinish (gasp). I have used NuFinish many times before with excellent results, however today was different. Trying to remove the NuFinish was very difficult. It was just smearing around, it was an absolute nightmare. It may have had to do with the 100% humidity, I don't know. I ended up giving up as by this point I was nearly 4 hours into the detail. I removed what I could with IPA wipe down then topped the areas with spray wax. I figured I would finish at a later date since the weather forecast was predicting thunderstorms the rest of the day.

As it turned out (Florida weather) the sun came out and the rain chance went away. I decided to start over again. I began by washing with dish soap to remove as much of the left over mess of NuFinish as possible, followed by a towel dry. I then applied Zaino AIO via dual action polisher which once dried, was easily removed by clean microfibers.

I finished by topping the paint and wheels with Optum Opti Seal. The results were excellent. The paint has a nice glossy shine and is very reflective once again. The interior got the weekly wipe down.

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

Very nice greg! Have you offered to do your co-worker's car? That might be fun to make it shine a bit.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Very nice greg! Have you offered to do your co-worker's car? That might be fun to make it shine a bit.

I have not. It would be satisfying to see the before and after; however, the former co-worker could care less and the car would be dirtied up in a matter of days.

Originally Posted by PimTac
OptiSeal is a great product. It has been overshadowed a bit by the ceramics but it is super easy to use. All of Optimums products are top notch.

Looks great.

I haven't delved into the ceramic market yet. OptiSeal lasts so long, thats one of the things I love about it. I typically only use it on my headlights after every wash.

How did you like the Zaino AIO? I recently picked up some but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Prob have to wait till May when it warms up.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
How did you like the Zaino AIO? I recently picked up some but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Prob have to wait till May when it warms up.

It's a good product. Easy on easy off is what I like about it. I can not speak to how long it lasts, since after every wash I use spray wax so there is never a time that water isn't beading. If you are using it to remove swirls you will absolutely need a DA or other similar machine. It won't remove swirls by hand, at least not easily. However, that isn't the point of this product as an all in one. It does a good job at what it's designed for. Polishing and protecting in one step, and with minimal effort.

Originally Posted by Trav
Looks great! Not being critical but the inside of the wheels jumps out at you a little.

Ouch! You are triggering my OCD Trav. Haha. I actually have never cleaned the inside of any of my wheels. I presume that would involve removing them, or using a lift. Neither of which I care to do on a daily. If it were a nice garage queen or if I had some wheels with large gaps between the spokes, then believe me I would be all over it!

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Looks nice! You'll have to let us know if it lasts all year, especially the Florida summer.

My current detailing routine involves a weekly wash followed by spray wax. So I will not know how long it holds up. I can tell you though, on my previous Accord I used this with no additional protection at one point. Water beading capability was less and less with every wash. I may have got 1 month, 2 months at best with a weekly wash.

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
That's an amazing job, it looks almost brand new.

Can I be that coworker?
laugh.gif

I'd be glad to help.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
There's something so satisfying having an older but well maintained car

Yes, I know the feeling.

As usual, your car defies its age with the care you take of it. The exterior looks great, but that interior looks like it was just installed on the assembly line!

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by Trav
Looks great! Not being critical but the inside of the wheels jumps out at you a little.

Ouch! You are triggering my OCD Trav. Haha. I actually have never cleaned the inside of any of my wheels. I presume that would involve removing them, or using a lift. Neither of which I care to do on a daily. If it were a nice garage queen or if I had some wheels with large gaps between the spokes, then believe me I would be all over it!

No, its just me. A door ding in a panel wouldn't bother me I just see the odd details like exhaust outlets that are off center or a different height.

Back