The 25 Greatest Songs Of All Time

Here's Rolling Stone's list of top 500 songs. Their previous lists are from 2004 and 2010. They really changed it last year.

I like various Public Enemy songs, but Fight The Power as the #2 greatest song ever? Come on now. And that song came out in 1989 and wasn't on the 2010 list at all but suddenly it's #2.

And Missy Elliott Get Ur Freak on at #8. That's even more absurd than putting Hey Jude at #8.

I'll save you a click... Aretha Franklin Respect is #1.

The entire album imo is awesome!
I was Beatle's fan #1 in the early 60's in the U.S.A. I think the Beatle mania period was their cachet. The other stuff is continioosly overplayed, and though I am (was) and fan I just cant take it anymore .... HELP!

I can hear I dig a Pony from that awesome rooftop session a few more times. A good raw essence was exposed there

of course the list is missing some great tunes and therefore it’s incomplete

To be in the best 25 songs, the songs need to be different on many levels than just say an average song in its lyrics, style, arrangements, length, overall it’s atmosphere etc etc

On that note, I’d vote Deep Purple, Child in Time, among 25 best tunes off all time

For its age, it was well advanced and beyond its age and with extraordinary +10min in its length that kept the listeners constantly captivating and involving to the song

Sadly these type of the songs are never coming back…

I was Beatle's fan #1 in the early 60's in the U.S.A. I think the Beatle mania period was their cachet. The other stuff is continioosly overplayed, and though I am (was) and fan I just cant take it anymore .... HELP!

I can hear I dig a Pony from that awesome rooftop session a few more times. A good raw essence was exposed there
I'm the same way. I've never liked their "big hits", but instead prefer their unknown to little known b-sides and between the grooves album tracks.

The only one I agree with is The Doors "Light My Fire". Probably one of my all time favorite songs. The organ solo (has to be the full length LP version, the 45 version leaves out the organ solo) still gives me chills to this day! (y)

The original mono LP mix is even better! I found two copies at a used book store for a dollar years ago.
Another Doors favorite. ;)

Another Doors favorite. The b-side of Light My Fire. Again, this one has to be heard on the original mono 45:

Back