The 2019 Audi e-tron

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Can't recall seeing a thread on this yet?

https://www.audi.ca/ca/web/en/models/etron/e-tron-quattro.html

[Linked Image]

When I was in San Francisco, there was a big banner for this down near the water front, so I hopped on the computer and took a peek at it when I got back to the hotel. Appears to be a much more "conventional" approach to an EV, looking and feeling more like a regular car than a Tesla does. My local VW dealer will be getting them, so I think I may take one for a test drive to see how it compares to the Model S.

Base price in Canada is $90K sticker.

Specs:
- 95kWh battery
- 329km range
- 0-60 in 5.5 seconds

Lots of pictures and a full review can be found at Motortrend:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/e-tron/2019/2019-audi-e-tron-first-drive-review/

Originally Posted by Pelican
That's great till they start to raise hydro rates! The one and only solution is the hydrogen fuel cell.

Hydrogen leaks, very easy. expensive to store and use.

Rod

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
see how it compares to the Model S.
Model X is the competitor here.

Audi ran an E-Tron commercial a couple of times in the movie I just watched, "Avengers: Endgame":
"Since Tony Stark introduced the world to the iconic Audi R8 in 2008, Marvel fans have really embraced the brand. We're eager to introduce them now to the all-electric Audi e-tron SUV and expect an equally strong fan reaction to Tony Stark's new supercar the all-electric Audi e-tron GT concept," --- https://electrek.co/2019/04/29/avengers-audi-electric-e-tron-engine-noise-product-placement-fail/
Funny: they used IC engine noise for it !!

Last edited:
When we were in Norway last spring we briefly rented an Audi hybrid about the size of a Golf. Overall it was a very nice car though I didn't care for the tablet that ran up and down out of the dash. I couldn't help wondering how long it would be before that "feature" stopped working.

The rest of our crew rented a Mercedes hybrid of a similar size. It was fancier that the Audi, but the crew liked the Audi better primarily due to more room in the back seat.

Earlier in the trip we had rented a VW GTE (a GTI hybrid). I liked that the best of all.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
see how it compares to the Model S.
Model X is the competitor here.

Audi ran an E-Tron commercial a couple of times in the movie I just watched, "Avengers: Endgame":
"Since Tony Stark introduced the world to the iconic Audi R8 in 2008, Marvel fans have really embraced the brand. We're eager to introduce them now to the all-electric Audi e-tron SUV and expect an equally strong fan reaction to Tony Stark's new supercar the all-electric Audi e-tron GT concept," --- https://electrek.co/2019/04/29/avengers-audi-electric-e-tron-engine-noise-product-placement-fail/
Funny: they used IC engine noise for it !!

I used the S based more on price. The X starts WAY above the cost of the Audi.

Apples to oranges. The "S" is going to handle much better, since its a car with a low c.g.
Prices from truecar.com:
'19 Audi e-tron: $78k
'19 Tesla X: $84k
'19 Tesla S: $79k
Percentage-wise, not much diff only 8% delta....
Audi has U.S. Federal subsidies in effect, where Tesla's are running out.... so that makes the Audi even cheaper. Dunno what Canada does, eh?

It's a good looking car (except the ugly fake grill) and will sell well to existing Audi owners due to it being very similar to ICE Audis. However, it is quite inefficient and lacking in range compared to a comparable Tesla.

I am glad Audi is into game as they actually know how to design and build great cars just need to add the electric in.

Tesla is learning everything.

Tesla built their cars as electric from the ground up; unlike any other car maker.
I wish Audi and all the other car companies good luck in their EV endeavors.
Other companies are playing catch up; Tesla has billions of miles and hundreds of thousands of cars sold.
I am not sure how many EV's Audi has built and sold, but they have been in the car business for a long time.

Tesla killed it in the 2nd half last year; I understand the company is in financial trouble now.
Whatever happens, Elon Musk and Tesla have changed the world.

Range isn't everything. How many people drive 200+ miles every day? I've got an electric car with a 76 mile range, and I simply plug it in at night, and run errands or take trips totaling mostly 20 to 60 miles per day. ------ For somebody who lives behind their steering wheel, sure, you need to be in there 4 hours a day to get to 200+ miles. For those people, get a life, that's too much driving.
For long trips, I just choose my hybrid or normal gasoline engine cars anyway. These electrics are too expensive. Who wants to pay $80k for a mega-range hipster Special like this? Mine was $15k net cash.

An electric car has its place.

Range isn't everything. How many people drive 200+ miles every day? I've got an electric car with a 76 mile range, and I simply plug it in at night, and run errands or take trips totaling mostly 20 to 60 miles per day. ------ For somebody who lives behind their steering wheel, sure, you need to be in there 4 hours a day to get to 200+ miles. For those people, get a life, that's too much driving.
For long trips, I just choose my hybrid or normal gasoline engine cars anyway. These electrics are too expensive. Who wants to pay $80k for a mega-range hipster Special like this? Mine was $15k net cash.

An electric car has its place.

This is a good point.
An Audi is a luxury car and is expensive.
I believe Nissan has sold more Leafs than any other EV.
A Tesla is so much more than just an EV with it's futuristic tech and is priced as such.
I have talked to a lotta Volt/Bolt owners and they flat out love 'em.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

This is a good point.
An Audi is a luxury car and is expensive.
I believe Nissan has sold more Leafs than any other EV.
A Tesla is so much more than just an EV with it's futuristic tech and is priced as such.
I have talked to a lotta Volt/Bolt owners and they flat out love 'em.

Love my '16 Ford Focus Electric, low range, but great handling, steering, peppy torque, yadda, yadda.
It is true Tesla has done some great things on their tech. https://insideevs.com/news/341909/munro-talks-tesla-model-3-motor-magic-and-profit-potential/ is an article that outlines some of it (Model 3 anyway).

Yet Tesla bodies aren't all that great, at least in the case of the Model 3. Assuming the 'S' is similar. The Model 3's body is very heavy and not optimal.
Based on all that, Audi should build the bodies, and Tesla the skateboard electrics/electronics. Tesla could just joint-venture with one of the great body makers. Honda-Acura maybe? That'd be hot.

For those people, get a life, that's too much driving.

Judgemental much?

Believe me, the guy I know is anything but a hipster. He'll pay $80k for a car because he can and it's his business, and if the E-tron doesn't work out traveling between his homes in Flagstaff and Phoenix he'll move it along.

He probably paid $15k for his lawn tractor. We're all in different situations.

The e-tron really missed the mark on efficiency and range.

Not anywhere near as efficient as a 7 year old model S almost 1/3 or less range from a battery within a few KWH

Wait for the charging network to disappoint next.....

The big boys are finding its not so easy to match what tesla has done.

UD

8c80wcj608u21.png

Last edited:
Apples to oranges. The "S" is going to handle much better, since its a car with a low c.g.
Prices from truecar.com:
Audi has U.S. Federal subsidies in effect, where Tesla's are running out.... so that makes the Audi even cheaper. Dunno what Canada does, eh?

Yes, as I said, I was JUST going by price, and that was the Canadian price.

Audi up here starts at $90K, S starts at $93K, X starts at $100K. So that's a 10K difference before you start adding features. All of the X's in stock are 120K+, the S's are 100K+.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
The e-tron really missed the mark on efficiency and range.

Not anywhere near as efficient as a 7 year old model S almost 1/3 or less range from a battery within a few KWH

Wait for the charging network to disappoint next.....

The big boys are finding its not so easy to match what tesla has done.

UD

Yes, both the range and 0-60 times pale when compared to the Tesla offerings.

Prices from truecar.com:

Yes, as I said, I was JUST going by price, and that was the Canadian price.

Audi up here starts at $90K, S starts at $93K, X starts at $100K. So that's a 10K difference before you start adding features. All of the X's in stock are 120K+, the S's are 100K+.

Canadian prices are very different. Not sure what's going on there. Tariffs and the exchange rate? Makes my neurons hurt thinking about it....

Dude, how about a Jag I Pace? For some reason, here in the states they are going for less than MSRP ! Looks great, electrics & computers are almost as good as Tesla's. ...
[Linked Image]

jag.JPG

Back