That's just great. Now the rodents will be eating your tires...

And I wonder if it will have an expiration date along with the manufacturing date? Can you keep it fresh longer by refrigeration???

Someone will have to make a tire shine formulated with hot sauce to keep the mice away...

If you roast rice kernels in the oven before cooking (reduces glycemic properties) it smells like popcorn!

Michelin was using sunflower oil 13 years ago, this just seems like an evolution of that.
I was gonna say Michelin too - all their snow tires, as well as the Pilot Sport 3(+) A/S, Pilot Sport All Season 4 and Primacy MXM4 use their Helios compound with sunflower oil. Yokohama has been using orange oil in their BluEarth compounds(Avid Ascend series/Geolandar G015 and their Discount/America’s Tire rebrands as well as the OE tires for the Prius and the non-Adventure Forester/Outback). And I think Toyo or Hankook has been using crushed walnut shells in their winter tires.

Soybean oil has been used for decades to make alkyd resin for paints, it’s not a “drying oil” like linseed oil but it’s a building block to make the resin in oil-based paints and today’s “hybrid” waterborne alkyds. Pine resin has been used for centuries for many things. Creosote and pine tar from the burning of pine resin have been used for preserving wood and leather and treating dandruff.

It might be a bold step in rubber Goodyear is doing - natural rubber is a natural product but the trees can’t make enough and the plantations are few and far apart(Libya/Liberia/Nigeria, Indonesia/Malaysia, Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia and Brazil).

I was gonna say Michelin too - all their snow tires, as well as the Pilot Sport 3(+) A/S, Pilot Sport All Season 4 and Primacy MXM4 use their Helios compound with sunflower oil. Yokohama has been using orange oil in their BluEarth compounds(Avid Ascend series/Geolandar G015 and their Discount/America’s Tire rebrands as well as the OE tires for the Prius and the non-Adventure Forester/Outback). And I think Toyo or Hankook has been using crushed walnut shells in their winter tires.
Yes, the Toyo GSI-6s I put on the Corolla have crushed walnut shells in the compound. I hope the local Varmint Cong doesn't find out!

they (mice anyway, not sure on thee real hassel - squrriels) will chew on stuff w/o nutritional value. We get engine harness & other wire repair all the time w/REAL mice damage.
why? Why WHY?!?

they (mice anyway, not sure on thee real hassel - squrriels) will chew on stuff w/o nutritional value. We get engine harness & other wire repair all the time w/REAL mice damage.
why? Why WHY?!?
Their teeth never stop growing, so they have to chew to keep them from growing too large. Wires are a comfortable size for them.

Could have been worse. The tire could have contained peanut butter. Rodents love peanut butter.
Pro tip: when I worked in drug store years ago, we kept back stock candy bars locked up in closet. We had some mice issues and their favorite bar to gnaw on was 3 Musketeers. Use that to bait traps.

Back