That Art of Mount/Balancing a Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
My former town where I lived, I had a amaaaazing tire guy. I paid him extra for it, but he would spin the wheel, match the heavy to the low spot on the tire and minimal wheel weights as possible.

I suppose different tire manuf. can be more worse than others....

Just got new tars mounted on a existing set of wheels. There is a boatload of lead on them. I'm not in front of my wheels now but for the inner of the wheel, I can swear there's like double row x 8 strips of lead.

I suppose it could that the shop only carried 1 size on the stick ons ?

Whatever it takes to get that tire balanced.

Some tires are worse then other in regards to how balanced it is from the factory. Some are mounted and come out at ZERO and don't need any weights, another from the same batch will require a ton.

OT, but I'm curious as pricing is regional ...
How much is RF in your neck of the woods.

My good shops are generally $40 for M/B a wheel.

There are some shops charge $90 for the same setup RF m/b....but I use shop that I trust on my $6K+ wheels....

Most ignore the Red and Yellow dots on the sidewall when mounting a new tire. They have a purpose, critical part of balancing. Red has priority, if not yellow over the valve stem. Do that right, the balancing is minimal. Do that wrong, you have a ton of weights all over the tire, and a bad experience over the life of the tire.

18$ to road force mount and balance here at the dealer.

some places gouge you for more.

Last edited:
They might be gouging for more because of the lower profile. A lot of places here will mount/balance a 60+ aspect ratio tire for 15 bucks. A 40 ratio tire would be double that and below that you'd have to call around for someone willing to do it.

Capri has never (that I recall) gave any more information on the dots than that it varies by manufacturer and even within the manufacturer for OEM tires. I can say our Accord had the OEM tires with the dots opposite the valve stems and our Highlander had the dots over the valve stems. I dunno any more than that.

I used to mount and balance tires as a kid at the local garage. Mounting the tire with the dots correctly aligned tweaks your back because you have to tug the tire on the rim. The veterans told me to..rather than tweak your back, just quickly wash the dots off, slap the tire on the rim any old way, and bang 10 tons of weights on it. People are clueless, think the weights and the spinning machine are the balance. Wrong! Its the back tweaking mounting makes all the difference.

I couldn't do that to people, would bug me knowing the tire was mounted wrong. So I quit.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

Capri has never (that I recall) gave any more information on the dots than that it varies by manufacturer and even within the manufacturer for OEM tires. I can say our Accord had the OEM tires with the dots opposite the valve stems and our Highlander had the dots over the valve stems. I dunno any more than that.

It only varies that on the cheaper tires they dont bother with the dots, because they are out of round, thick and thin all over the tire. But the dots always mean the same thing throughout the tire industry. Comments like that are just an excuse for a lazy installer on the floor. Here's some reading about the dots. Makes all the difference, will hardly need weights at all! Once its mounted and has air, its over, up to the balancer and the weights from there. And you'll never know how close it is until a few months later your feeling a vibration.

That's a fantastic article, thanks. I think on our Highlander the new tires either don't have dots or they are on the inside (whitewall but also the only side with the DOT code) and I haven't looked at our Sienna. So I'll have to see what's what tonight.

I bought our Highlander tires on Black Friday (10% off and buy 3 get one free) so if there was a day an installer would be lazy/rushed it would be on a day with a 6 hour wait and a line out the door. I'll really be blown away if it appears any attempt has been made. On the other hand they have very little weight on them (but they are 70 aspect ratio Michelins so they're decent to start with).

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Most ignore the Red and Yellow dots on the sidewall when mounting a new tire. They have a purpose, critical part of balancing. Red has priority, if not yellow over the valve stem. Do that right, the balancing is minimal. Do that wrong, you have a ton of weights all over the tire, and a bad experience over the life of the tire.

This post has all kinds of wrong with it.

The purpose of match mounting is for uniformity (think roundness and you'll be close) - not balance.

It only varies that on the cheaper tires they dont bother with the dots, because they are out of round, thick and thin all over the tire. But the dots always mean the same thing throughout the tire industry.......

Sorry, but I am a TON closer to this that you are - and the dots do NOT have the same meaning.

.......Comments like that are just an excuse for a lazy installer on the floor. Here's some reading about the dots......

That may be true for Bridgestone heavy truck tires, but it is NOT true throughout the industry - and especially passenger car tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

This post has all kinds of wrong with it.

The purpose of match mounting is for uniformity (think roundness and you'll be close) - not balance.

Bull [censored]. What the yellow dot is for.

no hope for some cheap tires, balance great , but still thump since they are out of round or not uniform in their "springiness", mechanics then blame shocks, struts, warped rotors etc etc
try michelin, expensive, but for me the balance issue go away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
It only varies that on the cheaper tires they dont bother with the dots, because they are out of round, thick and thin all over the tire. But the dots always mean the same thing throughout the tire industry.......

Sorry, but I am a TON closer to this that you are - and the dots do NOT have the same meaning.

.......Comments like that are just an excuse for a lazy installer on the floor. Here's some reading about the dots......

That may be true for Bridgestone heavy truck tires, but it is NOT true throughout the industry - and especially passenger car tires.

Ridiculous response. Grow up.

I used to mount and balance tires as a kid at the local garage. Mounting the tire with the dots correctly aligned tweaks your back because you have to tug the tire on the rim. The veterans told me to..rather than tweak your back, just quickly wash the dots off, slap the tire on the rim any old way, and bang 10 tons of weights on it. People are clueless, think the weights and the spinning machine are the balance. Wrong! Its the back tweaking mounting makes all the difference.

I couldn't do that to people, would bug me knowing the tire was mounted wrong. So I quit.

thumbsup2.gif

I hated tires. I was a service writer but sometimes when we were busy, in order to keep the "59 minute installation guarantee" I would have to run out to the service bay and start mounting and balancing tires. Manager would always complain that I was "dilly-dallying" by lining up the dots. I successfully demonstrated that my tires always balanced with minimal amounts of weights. The full-time installers didn't care. They'd have that gigantic lead weight on it adjacent to another and would quit trying if they got it under a half ounce.
I don't know why he was complaining. I was missing out on sales and spiff while I was sweating in the service bay.

I didn't have to quit. Sears' mismanagement led to the end of that career-road.

The worst thing about tires is the vehicle owners. They want the $15.99 advertised private label tire but they want it to stick in the wet, run quiet, and last 100,000 miles.....for $15.99. Then they are all [angry] at me because I "ripped them off". The tire costs $15.99. It does an outstanding job for $15.99. I can sell you a better tire, but it will be more expensive.
"you think I'm stupid enough to give you more money for your junk tires? I'm going to PepBoys."
"Better them than me."

As far as the dots...
21.gif
I haven't sold tires in the better part of two decades. But it worked on the cheapest private label tires manufactured by Cooper at the time

Spaz, everything you said is true about the customers. One of my closer friends for a number of years was a manager of a tire shop. He always said the same thing and many people cop an attitude before they even open the door.

Ridiculous response. Grow up.

Capri is a former tire engineer and currently in warranty claims for a major tire manufacturer. I'd love to hear how you're qualified.

Capri is right, there is no uniformity of meaning for the dots. Was taught that when I worked for Sears and have had it confirmed in calls to different tire manufacturers, each have their own system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back