TGMO VOA 0W16 API SP GF6

Didn't look into the 9 1/2 sorts of PP or the CCS procedures but I could imagine lower CCS temperatures happen. Is there a formal preclusion?

Forgive the bump but I am highly inquisitive about some specific things here.
And I managed to get myself done in on another thread. Thread closed. Admonished.

It is said by learned folks that fuel dilution, if present, causes significant amounts of ZDDP to be washed away. This is with viscosity loss to boot. I am wondering about the Moly. The doses are up. How much Moly gets washed away by fuel dilution ?

Thanks for the VOA. Aside from the moly, is there any reason to pay extra for this oil over the mostly PAO Mobil 1 0W-16?
I suspect it is formulated similar to TGMO 0w-20, which was extremely light Group III based with a big slug of dimer (not trimer) moly and a lot of VII (hence the high VI). Mobil blends their own oils using trimer, while complementing it with organic FM's and AW additives which Molakule suspected were borated compounds, which apparently Mobil is quite fond of.

Would be nice for the PQIA to do one of their tests on it to give us a KV40 so we could calculate the VI, that would give us an idea of how light of base they used and how much VII, which, if the 0w-20 was any consideration, was considerable.

This is interesting in that Toyota is actually dictating ExxonMobil how to blend TGMO 0W-16—high moly, high boron, and high phosphorus—the three things Toyota believe in.

It would be interesting to know the oxidation value to see if POE is still present as in their previous 0W-20 formulations, which was unusual for ExxonMobil-made ILSAC oils.

You won't go wrong with it if you have your oil changed at the dealer. I am glad to know that I I have a stout 0W-16 in my Prius Prime. I am getting my second oil change on Friday, with vehicle almost at 17,000 miles as of now.

This is interesting in that Toyota is actually dictating ExxonMobil how to blend TGMO 0W-16—high moly, high boron, and high phosphorus—the three things Toyota believe in.

It would be interesting to know the oxidation value to see if POE is still present as in their previous 0W-20 formulations, which was unusual for ExxonMobil-made ILSAC oils.

You won't go wrong with it if you have your oil changed at the dealer. I am glad to know that I I have a stout 0W-16 in my Prius Prime. I am getting my second oil change on Friday, with vehicle almost at 17,000 miles as of now.
Question. Are you really concerned about warranty issues with this particular vehicle ?

Question #2. Most of your driving is Paramount <> campus, I do believe. With a PHEV, I would suggest HPL PP 0W8 and extended OCIs. Why not ?

$0.02

You won't go wrong with it if you have your oil changed at the dealer
I assume because your assuming the dealer uses TGMO? Most dealers get crap out of a barrel from whomever is cheapest - Toyota dealers included. If you really want TGMO then you should do it yourself.

I assume because your assuming the dealer uses TGMO? Most dealers get crap out of a barrel from whomever is cheapest - Toyota dealers included. If you really want TGMO then you should do it yourself.
Maybe it is a regional thing, but all of the dealers here use TGMO for the Toyotacare services due to the incentives and reimbursement program. Customer pay can be different.

Question. Are you really concerned about warranty issues with this particular vehicle ?

Question #2. Most of your driving is Paramount <> campus, I do believe. With a PHEV, I would suggest HPL PP 0W8 and extended OCIs. Why not ?

$0.02
SAE J300 and HTHS (measured at 10⁶ s⁻¹) are obsolete useless.

What matters are the cold spec in the SAE J300, HTFS (measured at 10⁷ s⁻¹ or higher), and VI. See my table for HTFS and VI.

For the best wear protection, you want the highest HTFS. HTHS and KV don't matter for wear protection.

That said, the thinnest and most fuel-efficient oil to have ever been walked on the face of Earth was TGMO 0W-20 SN. It was thinner than a 0W-8 due to its ultra-high VI (~ 227 or higher), making it the most fuel-efficient oil ever due to both the lowest HTFS and highest VI.

A typical 0W-8 is a little thicker than the TGMO 0W-20 SN.

TGMO 0W-16 SP is thicker than the TGMO 0W-20 SN.

My second oil change at West Coast Toyota of Long Beach on Friday will be a free courtesy one like the first one. I don't change the oil myself anymore.

Last edited:
Interesting that Toyota is using high dose Boron. Many others go for very high dose Magnesium.
Literally high magnesium?? Why would anyone do that? That would increase the TAN and wear. You want a modest amount of magnesium with a somewhat larger amount of calcium that passes the LSPI tests. Magnesium is good for TBN retention but not good neutralizing all types of acids like calcium is, which would increase the TAN and hence the wear. So, a good balance of both calcium and magnesium is necessary.

Moreover, boron is a dispersant, not a detergent like calcium and magnesium. Toyota has been using it to reduce sludge since the Toyota sludge lawsuits.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the Toyota part number for their 0W-16? Searches for 00279-16QTE show up as discontinued with no new part number listed.
The part numbers are the same, but https://parts.toyota.com/ no longer sells oil and oil filters because Toyota does not want you to do do-it-yourself oil changes.

Code:
00279-16QTE-01 MSRP $8.15 (bottled quart)
00279-16QTE MSRP $48.90 (six-pack-case bottled quart)
00279-BLK16-01 MSRP $5.06 (bulk quart)

90915-YZZN1 MSRP $5.69 (oil filter)

90430-12031 MSRP $1.16 (oil drain-plug gasket)

I got my last free TGMO 0W-16 SP oil change at West Coast Toyota of Long Beach today. They are one of the better dealers in the area for service. The car was at 17,091 miles and two years. Strangely, they recommended both engine air filter and cabin air filter changes for next time, with less than 20,000 miles on the car driven on urban roads—just in time for nonfree service. ;) I will simply by the filters from the dealer and do it myself if necessary, which would cost me $60.05 ($14.93 + tax for engine air filter and $39.54 + tax for cabin air filter at the same dealer) instead of $115.33 as they quoted for that work and be done right for sure.

us_c7dyVX28o6LKu2X7flV1dQ5h_1JudKRTJfLcEZE6j_FMgPFuvi2xCp_1K8JD2hcReg2O9tpiMh4h9pl6K_HYd7jVQ1hZrgYCmqsqcCdoN9SGsT-1jp3es-5iGmi7i84MUYfVH2xcPV5-C4GwqUtyGCaPPqS6L0Rzp_wJ3625vbFWDzd9NKkBl6omaem5Fr6yaNREBkfbQTqoiawKG4TLnBPzSYwuVrqscXkJPmLmgKa871DJaC7uPcr2HPpDgGWWKG6WKLGr6YfVBayYQgA-MtEifs0dIQ_Jt1bufmGcOeHPPdALvnTj3iuOpffIrLutJ6i1gwDGYTLiiOzn1-ckDcYaVJ6_lSEwg0ziwlgr5JDFlNqNMGY6H_1oWugtIDRb_CZC_FG1sO1euBNRFIdxDJgYCFdbFvnf45rw9QSmneu2_XQdbU6OxyyhI402XyrAyAwBdaCGTqAem16Fb5TbyWZpBb1eZqGymuWgS1HwzIKsKl8x1ZASn4YCEwgeknBTJdbuiCRLHJPVaBB62CtBwPBpSSO8n6RDOEmeMa_6CgpNQoI9-XeuJ7tba9j_w67ENTdFoV8wD2yQ9YarqIw0XK2ox0bctmKPgagsVoEG0d2TAYIPT2H5gO9hIZ38ENp3cc4BA0nrEu-41Ifdw64oM4T2a6RZaNTsf5T655asq0w51eRTz-ZRWy6TXcM27egUcm3uc4dIF7Uzhe9SB_1vwJ4wN9_gE-nsnJnT3I7jmJg21PY0lPuT1eWmzZjE8HdzLA6D85kkdQ-Lf1u0Rx_CZv_QFcVjjXxGJYtLsS2jaLgvNU5zniSCP4QF3E6hfvrnic_mMtptN1Sv4c0TvRnPf0HW5aKZ2jlBQ1kln_gXjP4ifAMRd14fJ2WMmqnHp9EWRcTKQMNP8mf2MoVh2a_GxNopTZ-asZcNJ9KWFQluW8bDH_tkFpvNUYInmDU-BmFkKUhlUWNFDQgc4ueABdbg=w1995-h2124-no

GGxB4YWgzyyS3Kj9qKgZg0fbNcbRwCveveiqiKlpTquJy7X3XuDmNqVvpavp5_EQ2vabmT4KMxk08uuLwyADCkYK7Eet1cy8hz3h2PjWWqW638gZG-AG_SONTpgg9u18hRLTIPYujfbJ5N0L2Ip9r444o1tn6a0Dw-RGhz35O0TOrHJWr9XPW9KV4TO5t75XKXsPkFzUCDlnEgwhEOjcXfKoNw1HeP2bs-PoUW667JgzuOzjb8dRU5agQQz0QAC7BaUndE6klZ6phNVHzzC7EW34-ScyAiNVt3QJIM-nUEzabo13JGE7_K8TmnIA3VJCL-Bi5k4SqEzPhJIl-uqwRl-uz4aIoRglC8msqBT0Bvy_vnNSiLMVmJApcGMkE8RuugvnFx20GE__RyNN5T57j_41C6brirmmZKHvt4VhMR21MOrwbNOl60AEw3PHMkT_P8FAm2GhOngvy6euPwMm3DY5zPeRb7k_d6G1LDTmO51UKgDviEKwZKJ7sklpbK25H-F-MzjzhyZmyME0Bpuoktwq0e_5cwsaHyhQgPAZDy5djQPhw1xT2sIj0y78WZsfOzGEV-67BWNgcrsrDrJI4OzJNOnVe5WiXvD1CVm9YreLyTagB1Nc5pG7FmVbeqZh2jrW1stFVhW9XyxnlccboXfphXnrwTxuZXySkN-j5bZ5elxcs2bECi7Ls_Sg5XIBn96gTU64qiTxPKNDHgx3ShQORRBlc5XQHfgMWymNlZYHvUNDWTMrCM8Ax_-lm4dXF8RukOhA6dgnjGBDLK6B9hWIcWIv9fgZhk3Rrams6S-7SNR3iIZssfRRt7nezqG9i6FS96dTnqoUXm7BDUAUxy-DmDI5yvJEjee7gVOVGunngt_D8sffe5ywqENXaLsL0GO2qW3KN4CbaM4qX5SumWV4xDdlgLfik5sZb_hYyTaMNAyu2zwG6NzI8nzF-huo-vjTLlP1HlmnN4WLOlH_6hA=w2184-h2160-no

Last edited:
I found out that the dealer is participating in a program called AdvantageCARE, which is a $50 oil change + tire rotation + multipoint inspection deal if you purchase three sets in advance. I will do this because doing oil changes once a year and tire rotations twice a year would cost more than that, and I don't have to worry about going over 10k miles in a year and moving my service dates to earlier. Moreover, I found out that fresh oil has a lot better fuel economy than used oil; so, you save money on gasoline by keeping your oil more fresh, too. Interestingly, many dealers are participating in this AdvantageCARE or AdvantageCARE program, including Honda, Nissan, Ford, etc. dealers.

WCT_AdvantageCare_1000x1500.jpg

I found out that the dealer is participating in a program called AdvantageCARE, which is a $50 oil change + tire rotation + multipoint inspection deal if you purchase three sets in advance. I will do this because doing oil changes once a year and tire rotations twice a year would cost more than that, and I don't have to worry about going over 10k miles in a year and moving my service dates to earlier. Moreover, I found out that fresh oil has a lot better fuel economy than used oil; so, you save money on gasoline by keeping your oil more fresh, too. Interestingly, many dealers are participating in this AdvantageCARE or AdvantageCARE program, including Honda, Nissan, Ford, etc. dealers.

WCT_AdvantageCare_1000x1500.jpg
Autonation has something similar. Be careful, they don’t always use OE filters and the correct oil for those programs. I would ask questions.

Back