Texaco Havoline FULL SYNTHETIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
AAP have 5QTs of Texaco / Cheveron Havoline FULL Synthetic Motor Oil 5W20 5W30 10W30 So on and a free Oil filter for 22$

is that a good deal?

Has anyone ever used Texaco Havoline FULL SYN???

I know my Granpa who worked at GM in the Expermental Department for over 20 years said out of all the oil test they ever did Texaco Havoline was the best oil to use.. Now he was talking about Conventional oil and this was back when I was like 15 or 16 years old and I always would put Texaco Havoline Oil in my cars...

However Synthetic... I have not heard anyone talk about it.

Is is a TRUE SYN?? or GROUP III mixed or a TRUE GROUP 4 or 5
sorry not sure on technical talk on syn oils , I just know all are not made the same

SO what can you tell me about this oil.

Also my Grandpa years ago said Syn oil was good but not worth the $ if you changed your oil each 3000 miles he said you would be fine, this was back in mid 80s

Also they are giving a free Driveworks oil filter but you can upgreade to PUREONE for 1$ more.

Please any info on this oil would be nice..

is it as good as Mobil 1 or Royal Purple or is it like a Valvoline or Quaker State Full Syn for all brands listed.

Thanks

Saw it today, $23.99 for 5 quarts and a driveworks filter....I'll trade up for a better filter but that's actually the deal I'm going for this week. Havoline Syn is fine oil, though not talked about much and a only 1 or 2 UOA's. There is an excellent UOA for it in a Dodge Caliber SRT4, just google it.

It's a decent deal, although they've offered the same for $20.00 in the recent past.
The Driveworks looks like a well constructed filter and I'm not sure that the P1 would be an upgrade given the media failures that are well documented in the oil filters forum.
The oil itself will contain a substantial proportion of Grp III basestock, as is true of most OTS oils.
Nothing wrong with that.
The oil itself is probably as good as anything else you'd buy off the shelf, which means it's pretty good stuff and probably more capable than what most of our engines actually need.

Originally Posted By: babbittd
Is Havoline ProDS the same thing as the Synthetic with Deposit Shield or did they change the formulation as well? I think ProDs replaced the latter. http://www.havoline.com/products/motor-oils2.aspx

It looks like the ProDS meets more manufacture specs than the synthetic Havoline with with Deposit Shield. The ProDS meets DEXOS 1 and Fiat specs plus other manufacture specs the "plain" Deposit Shield didn't, at least as shown on the bottle. For four of my purchases I "upgraded" to the Pure One oil filter
smirk.gif
. These cost me $21.99. The last purchase, after the "Purolator filter controversy" was with the Drive Works oil filter, which I'll probably return for store credit. This one cost $19.99 because I didn't "upgrade" the filter.

Whimsey

It's a good oil OP, I've been using it for about 2 years in my 2000 Century. I wish they'd offer it with a FU or Mobil 1 filter though. Actually they're doing me a favor by not doing so since my stash is still pretty well stocked up.

Used both Havoline and Pep Boys (re-branded Havoline) synthetic 10W-30 in the early 90's in my 89 Accord. At the time it was $3/Qt. That was expensive for oil at a time when conventional oil was selling for less than $1/Qt.

Last edited:
I think Havoline has always had a consistently good product line up, and Chevron is one of the pioneers of PAO base oils. That being said, I suspect it's probably mainly Group III with some blend of IV/V in it. It meets some tough certs and has very good cold cranking performance. I'm probably using it this winter if I don't go with M1 AFE...

Edit, speaking only about the current "Deposit Shield" stuff here...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Havoline is Chevron's premium brand - it better be good. They have a new product name - HAVOLINE® PRO DS™ FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL® WITH DEPOSIT SHIELD® TECHNOLOGY

http://www.havoline.com/products/motor-oils2.aspx

The PDS was just updated Aug 28, 2014

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=415937&docFormat=PDF

- lots of certs including Chrysler MS-6395 & Dexos1 for the 0W-20

Most likely this new Havoline Synthetic PRO DS is the reason for the $4 increase in the AA Havoline synthetic oil change special.

Whimsey

I've used both their conventional and synthetic, and have no issues to report. My UOA with the conventional stuff came back great on my Integra and I'm using the full synthetic in it right now. Use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I've used both their conventional and synthetic, and have no issues to report. My UOA with the conventional stuff came back great on my Integra and I'm using the full synthetic in it right now. Use it with confidence.

X2 We run the conventional in my daughters Chrysler Sebring 2.4L Runs well in the machine
wink.gif

A premium "sleeper" brand. It has always been in the shadows of M1 and others but it has proven to be as good of a product often at a discount without being a store brand. Texaco Havoline was even a better value for the price but I think that a lot of the oils have become fairly equal with all things being said.

I used lots & lots of Havoline conventional growing up in and living & working in South Texas, especially when Western Auto was open. I could almost always get a rebate on it and a Western Auto brand oil filter and they worked well for me.

Advance Auto Parts is the only place where I now live that carries Havoline in 5W-20 that I need and synthetic as well as conventional. If I hadn't scored some real deals on QS UD at Menard's with rebate and PP at Walmart with rebate recently, I'd be starting to use Havoline synthetic for my next oil change. There's too many months here where crawling under a vehicle in my driveway is one of the last things I want to do, and I don't really like paying someone else to change my oil & filter like I have the past few winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back