testing propylene glycol coolant?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the density float tool for measuring the concentration of ethylene glycol work with propylene glycol?

the densities are:

Pro-gly is 1.036 g/cm³

Eth-gly is 1.1132 g/cm³

it doesn't look like it will work, but I don't know how far off they would be. the float tool doesn't work with Dex-Cool

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scimmia
why won't it work with Dex-Cool, it's EG.

I don't know. The ones I tried did not work. the float would not rise.

Water and Salt Water both contain water
crazy2.gif
, but saltwater has a higher density, and things float higher than in plain water.

Last edited:
I found this on wikipedia

Propylene gycol oxidizes when exposed to air and heat. When this occurs lactic acid is formed. If not properly inhibited, this fluid can be very corrosive.[citation needed] Protodin is added to propylene glycol to act as a buffer, preventing low pH attack on the system metals. It forms a protective skin inside the tank and pipelines which helps to prevent acid attack that cause corrosion.

Besides cooling system breakdown, biological fouling also occurs. Once bacterial slime starts the corrosion rate of the system increases. In systems where a glycol solution is maintained on a continuous basis, regular monitoring of freeze protection, pH, specific gravity, inhibitor level, color and biological contamination should be checked routinely.

Propylene glycol should be replaced when it turns reddish in color.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

Yep. Since it is digestible by dogs, cats and people, bacteria find it very nice as well. Only the engine heat keeps it sterile. But if allowed to "set a spell", PG can grow bugs, slime molds, etc. I would only use this if I had to and then it would have to be a very compelling reason. EG can also be digested by bugs but not as easily. It is, however, enough of a food source that it can be broken down in a municipal sewage system if not too much is present.

The problem with bugs feeding is that you really don't know all of the chemistry of the waste products. Some of these, I'm sure, can go after metals.

I got started running Sierra. When I became an Amsoil dealer/user I started running their Propylene glycol, that was in 1995. I feel it held up better than the Sierra.

I am now running the newer Amsoil formulation for around 5 years + or -

The tester for freeze/boil protection is different.... What brand are you using or going to use?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

The tester for freeze/boil protection is different.... What brand are you using or going to use?

I plan to use Prestone LowTox

I emailed Prestone some questions

Is your Super Radiator Anti-Rust and Cooling System Treatment compatible with your LowTox coolant?

Quote:
The Super Radiator Anti-Rust and the Cooling System Treatment is compatible with the Prestone Lowtox Antifreeze/Coolant

Will either of the two products listed above improve the LowTox coolants ability to prevent corrosion and increase component (water pump, radiator, heater core, etc) life?

Quote:

The Prestone Super Radiator Anti-Rust provides rust protection between coolant changes. It also boosts the corrosion protection of depleted antifreeze/coolant. The Prestone Cooling System Treatment is designed to help improve the protection of neglected antifreeze/coolant or extend the benefits of new antifreeze/coolant. It also helps to protect nearly every major component of the cooling system.

Does the standard coolant testers that rely on fluid density work with the LowTox coolant.

Quote:
The standard Coolant Testers will only work with Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze/Coolants. The Prestone Lowtox is a Propylene Glycol Antifreeze/Coolant and will require a tester that is rated for Propylene Glycol.

In your FAQ it says that the antifreeze should be between 50% and 70% of the coolant. It says not to go under 50%, but you sell 50/50 coolant. Isn't that cutting it a bit close? Why don't you sell 60/40 coolant?

Quote:
The 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze/Coolant should only be used for topping up when you are running low on antifreeze/coolant and should never be used after a flush. After a flush it is always recommended to use the concentrate Antifreeze/Coolant. The proper method of filling after a flush is to first find out the cooling capacity of the vehicle and pour in half the amount of concentrate antifreeze/coolant into the radiator if you require a 50/50 mix and then top the remaining with distilled / demineralized water.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back