Test Drove a new 2015 WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wanting to test drive the new WRX for awhile now, but finding a dealer with one in stock has been tough. Well, today I finally got that chance.

I was blown away by the CVT. I will not make fun of a CVT again. Subaru has delivered a phenomenal transmission in this car. The shifting was lightning fast in Sport #. There is no way I could even come close to shifting that fast.

I don't want to make this into a MT vs CVT thread, but after 15 years of driving MT's and driving the new CVT WRX, I'd most likely get this car with the CVT.

The handling was fantastic. Steering was very responsive and wasn't too light/heavy. Had a great feel to it. Traction was great as expected. It had just rained too so i was able to test the traction out.

When it first came out, jaws were dropping when the news rolled out that the new WRX would also be available with the CVT. However, as more people started to actually drive it, they all came away impressed.

The CVT does an fantastic job keeping the car in the power range. I felt very little turbo lag.

There were a few professionals that actually chose the CVT over the MT in the Rex, and I can see why.

Next up will be the MT version, which from what I've read is a decent 6spd, but has that Subaru clunkiness/notchiness to it.

I also drove a new 2015 Mazda 3 with the 6spd. Great transmission as well, although again, not better than the AT alternative.

Where the WRX fell a bit short was interior build quality. The Mazda 3 and 6 both have better interior build quality. It wasn't bad, but not on par with the 3, 6 or GTI.

For a DD in the Northeast, I can't think of a better car than a WRX. With snow tires, it will become a blizzard slayer.

There are some autos/cvts that respond very quickly, but they still can't look down the road and get the right gear in anticipation of the corner/hill/stop sign..
That said, I'd be interested to try it and see how it feels.

Originally Posted By: Olas
There are some autos/cvts that respond very quickly, but they still can't look down the road and get the right gear in anticipation of the corner/hill/stop sign..
That said, I'd be interested to try it and see how it feels.

Well, that's the great thing about paddle shifters. I think having that option really helps.

Originally Posted By: buster
... The shifting was lightning fast in Sport #. ...

Shifting? If it is a CVT, isn't is supposed to be able to shift continuously to maintain ideal engine RPM for the driver's pedal input?

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

Shifting? If it is a CVT, isn't is supposed to be able to shift continuously to maintain ideal engine RPM for the driver's pedal input?

Most modern CVTs are programmed in such a way to simulate shifting of a traditional AT. I guess research showed most buyers prefer it that way.

QP, I understand, yet I still find it goofy.
wink.gif

until a CVT or ATX is as mechanically efficient as an MTX, I'm not having one in my car.

Yes, I shouldn't have said shifting. I was referring to the psuedo shifting with paddle shifters in sport #. Otherwise it's just ratio changes. No gears.

I'm not saying all CVT's are great. This one is though. You'd be surprised if you drove it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Most modern CVTs are programmed in such a way to simulate shifting of a traditional AT. I guess research showed most buyers prefer it that way.

Actually, if I owned CVT and it did that pseudoshifting, I would be not happy. This is the sign of out times. Appearance is more important than the function.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
How much is insurance coverage?
Just for the heck of it I logged on to my insurance policy. My 2005 Altima SE is $230 for six months. The 2015 WRX is $311 for six months.

I own an 07' WRX with a stick I bought new and have posted a UOA on here. It has been an excellent car. Regardless of the transmission, WRX's are great cars to drive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back