TEST/ DEMO - the story on additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
why does my rear axle fluid with Lucas does not bubble? I have pulled the plug after 3 hours in 100 degree temperature and the axle fluid looks NORMAL. The rear end was also so cool I could put my hand on it. Come on folks. Let's compare apples to apples and do the test in a rear axle) not a blender) under real life conditions.

I use Castrol Syntec in my engines, Red Line D4 in my automatic transmissions and Torco 75-140 in my rear ends.

I'm getting over 200,000 miles on transmissions, over 350,000 on engines and even more on rear ends.

When an engine begins to get "tired" (gas milieage and oil pressure begin to slip), I have found conventional Lucas Oil Supplement a cost-effective band-aid good for an additional 100,000 miles of like-new performance.

I do not use it in transmissions or rear ends; based on my experience it has minimal positive effect in these applications, as your demonstrations show.

However, for rings, bearings, etc. I find Lucas to be quite effective.

Climbing Oil? I see this stuff in the auto parts store all the time. Huge displays that include a test like you did. They have 2 sets of plastic gears in a plexiglass case. One side is just oil and the other side is treated with the Lucas. I have this to say about the test. I could feel more friction on the Lucas treated side. It was harder to turn the side with just oil in it. I contribute this to the drag caused by the oil sticking to the gears (where it belongs) on the untreated side. The Lucas side did climb up quick and in fact left very little oil at the bottom. There was a film that grew on each gear, but too far from the mating surfaces to be of any use. If you have seen this display, you know what I mean.
I couldnt turn it fast enough to create the air bubbles, but I could just feel that the oil only side was better protected. Period!

I won't to know how good duralube is . I have been reading alot and can't find any information if causes damage to your engine.

Lucas stuff = tackifier looks sexy but looses or shears away its "stickyness" in a gear set.

Duralube = chlor alkane (wax) cause rust and corriosion not good

bruce

I purchased a case of Lucas and put it in my CTD as well as daughters mini van. Then I saw the demo, which used to be on the front page. But decided to run it anyway, keeping an eye on it though. First good trip in summer pulling the RV, I stopped after about 4 hours and the oil was milky white as in the demo. It was changed the following day. Good 500 mile flush :>). The daughters oil did not foam in the Dodge mini van, but the mpg dropped from a consistant 18-19 to 13 or less. At 3000 miles I dumped it and the mileage went right back up. So I have 8 quarts of Lucas that is being used to lube the 5th wheel hitch. :>(

Ok, but I have a question.
I dont know if you all have seen those little plastic gear thingies that Lucas uses to show how effective their oil is at clinging to the gears, they are similar to the ones used in this test, only plastic and hand powered. They of course had one with regular oil and one with Lucas in it, and the Lucas clung to the gears better. Fine. Here's my question.
The other gears still had oil on them. Sure, it may not have been a giant clingy goober like Lucas totes, but the oil is on there. Oil films are very thin correct? Like just a few micrometers? This is very thin, so thin, we may not be able to see it well. But the oil is still there. This is what I dont understand, if the oil is there, why do we have to have additives that make giant oily goobers to prove to us that there is oil on the gears, we can see that the gears are wet, it's obvious. In fact why should it matter if the oil is foamy, especially gear oil. What matters is the wear.

I think we should look at the wear numbers and not oil goobers and decide the better oil. Am I correct in my thinking? This is the only logical conclusion I can come to.

Well, these hand-crank gadgets showing oil climb aren't about wear numbers, they're about an impulse purchase for the poor unknowing mopes at the counter waiting to ring up their oil filters and wiper blades.

Meanwhile, Sub006 uses it in his engine for his own purposes to, for him, good effect. But if it mixes with air in the tranny and turns to spooge, why not in the crankcase? And why doesn't VSOT turn to foamy spooge in the crankcase? Or any additive? I do the VSOT in my engine, but in the tranny, it's just the oil.

This is exactly my point, if it works well, what does it matter if it foams? What does it matter if it doesnt cling? How exactly does this test prove anything whatsoever?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does anyone care?

I was wondering. Did you add the same ratio of Lucas oil stabilizer in the test? I mean, normally you add 1 quart of Lucas to a whole crankcase of oil.

quote:

Originally posted by WiredForStereo:
This is exactly my point, if it works well, what does it matter if it foams? What does it matter if it doesnt cling? How exactly does this test prove anything whatsoever?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does anyone care?

What do you mean? Bubbles in the oil are bad! That's less lubrication over the surface area of the piston, gears, etc. Same reason you put antifreeze in your coolant. So the water doesn't boil at lower temps causing bubbles that lower the cooling capacity. How would you know if it works? Just because it says it does on the label.
lol.gif

wcb, well said.

Haven't you heard of "scrubbing bubbles", works in my sink so why not in my gear,motor,trans oil!

Wired, Entrained air is not a good lubricant, really!

I had bought four gallons of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer pre-BITOG which I now use only for my garage door, bicycle chain, crosscut shredder and anywhere I need a clear-base oil except in any crankcase. These are good uses for the stuff and four gallons should last me a week or two.

Just my two cents' worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back