Tesla's reputation tanks - Did anyone see this coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When business personalities get political they risk blowback from the other side.

This is my main criticism of musk, after delivery promises.

He risks investor money to further his ego. This is a downfall of young leaders.

When's the last time you heard Larry Ellison spouting off on twitter?

Imagine, say, a Steve Jobs spouting off on Twitter. Him and Musk probably had a lot in common except Jobs knew when to be quiet.

Reactions: Pew
Imagine, say, a Steve Jobs spouting off on Twitter. Him and Musk probably had a lot in common except Jobs knew when to be quiet.

Steve Jobs rarely said anything in public outside of carefully produced events. I don't think he would have done anything like the self-inflicted stuff that Musk has been doing over the past few years.

I'm surprised Tesla still ranks as high as it does. We're talking about a company that has a habit of taking deposits for products that do not exist and then not delivering a single unit for 4+ years. I've had the Cybertruck on order since 2019. I wonder if the deposit is transferrable to my future grandchildren.
Is the deposit not refundable? If so, I’m surprised you haven’t done so yet.

We had space x star link on order for nearly a year and I had to put a deposit down. I know the money isn’t the same, but I was forewarned about the back order and down payment nonetheless and it didn’t bother me a bit.

They raised the price per month while it was on back order which is why I backed out.

Tesla sells snake oil called "Full Self-Driving," and then when people get killed says the idiot customers didn't follow the instructions. Seems a bit short sighted to kill off your customers.

I agree. He was all over the place but IMO it was ultimately twitter that tanked his reputation with the general public. Once his views on twitter and speech were released, all I thought of was "here we go..."

More like half of it …

Is the deposit not refundable? If so, I’m surprised you haven’t done so yet.
It is refundable but I'm leaving it in just to see what happens. My deposit is for the $39,900 base model. If the actual price ends up being twice that (due to inflation as I'm sure they'll argue), I will demand that Tesla refund twice my original deposit (due to the same inflation). There's also a tiny glimmer of hope that Tesla will have lower pricing for those with a deposit. Not holding my breath, but I believe Rivian (?) actually did that (honor original quoted price).

There's another poll out there, where people vote with their money. It's called car sales and Tesla is kicking the snot outta every other car company.

I don't think that this has much to do with liking or disliking Musk, I think it has more to do with customer expectations (mostly unrealistic expectations) and the products not meeting those expectations for some customers.

Tesla's reputation tanked when Musk turned out in the past year to have views inconsistent with the majority of its customers.
This. I don’t mind tesla. The use profile doesn’t make sense for my longer drives; but every interaction I’ve had driving them has been positive (except the throttling supercharger).

This. I don’t mind tesla. The use profile doesn’t make sense for my longer drives; but every interaction I’ve had driving them has been positive (except the throttling supercharger).

IDK, just trying to open the clunky, poor build quality rear door made me want to kick it really, really hard...

I don't think that this has much to do with liking or disliking Musk, I think it has more to do with customer expectations (mostly unrealistic expectations) and the products not meeting those expectations for some customers.
Musk makes a lotta claims, pretty darn lofty claims. Sometimes he delivers... Still, more than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back