Tesla Drops USA Prices up to 20%

“Amid demand concerns, Tesla cuts prices by up to $13k in US”

Biggest percent drop is the Model Y Longe Range AWD. Down to $52,990, from $65,990.

9B951B5B-FA04-449A-8EFC-A9AB8B59F7B3.jpeg

So....... They're cutting prices because they just can't seem to be able to make them fast enough? OK.
LOL wishful thinking. ;) Some might say desperation. I wouldn't go that far, but competition is heating up, and that will drive prices down. When you can't make them fast enough you raise prices...................Or at the very least hold them steady, not drop them. The share holders aren't too thrilled this morning, its selling off again in pre-market.

Teslas inverters and batteries and motors are not special anymore, and their cars have the worst fit/finish in the industry, so their premium pricing is nose-diving to keep up with much better appointed competitors that have finally decided to go EV. Like I said all along, Tesla must evolve, but instead in the short term it looks like they are just giving up their massive mark-ups in part.

I won't be surprised to see manufacturers across the board coming back with rebates and dealer incentives when / if they can actually produce cars. 8% interest rates have to be killing off demand. I noticed the local Subaru dealer has a lot full of Outbacks, and the Nissan Dealer a lot full of Frontiers, something you didn't see a few months ago.

Not a EV owner, not really interested in a Tesla, but given there one of the only ones that can actually build cars, it makes sense there first in line for price cuts.

I won't be surprised to see manufacturers across the board coming back with rebates and dealer incentives when / if they can actually produce cars. 8% interest rates have to be killing off demand. I noticed the local Subaru dealer has a lot full of Outbacks, and the Nissan Dealer a lot full of Frontiers, something you didn't see a few months ago.

Not a EV owner, not really interested in a Tesla, but given there one of the only ones that can actually build cars, it makes sense there first in line for price cuts.
I'm hoping the rates go a little higher. If so I'll consider a new JLU Rubicon. The ICE vehicle sellers are going to have to follow and cut prices sooner or later.

What they (and other EV manufacturers) need...... is to hire the Italian design crew from Lamborghini.
To me, a Tesla (and others) are butt ugly.

Hey, even IF it's a unreliable, then at least it looks good !

Lambo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping the rates go a little higher. If so I'll consider a new JLU Rubicon. The ICE vehicle sellers are going to have to follow and cut prices sooner or later.
Im kind of thinking with something like 30 new EV models to hit the showroom floor this year that we will have an oversupply of EVs sitting around as public demand maybe grossly over estimated. Wait, the estimation people already said they made a mistake with demand and cut predictions up to 50%.
Im not saying it will happen but I am saying I think we need to get out of the mindset that ICE is going to go away. It will always be preferred over an EV for the majority of people. Battery operated cars are great short distance commuting vehicles for many people but it's not going to replace ICE for the majority.
The gross overestimate of EV demand might make ICE more expensive as the automakers put all their eggs in EVs. Well not all companies but I think GM is making a grave mistake in saying so unless it's reversible. Once again, I fear Lucy will pull the football away from Charlie Brown regarding GM for the last 4+ decades. We will see.

Last edited:
Im kind of thinking with something like 30 new EV models to hit the showroom floor this year that we will have an oversupply of EVs sitting around as public demand maybe grossly over estimated. Wait, the estimation people already said they made a mistake with demand and cut predictions up to 50%.
Im not saying it will happen but I am saying we need to get out of the mindset that ICE is going to go away. It will always be preferred over an EV for the majority of people. Battery operated cars are great short distance commuting vehicles for many people but it's not going to replace ICE for the majority.
Im actually afford the gross mistake of thinking ICE is over might make ICE more expensive as the automakers put all their eggs in EVs. Well not all companies but I think GM is making a grave mistake in saying so.
Certainly not in the next few years.

Im not saying it will happen but I am saying we need to get out of the mindset that ICE is going to go away. It will always be preferred over an EV for the majority of people. Battery operated cars are great short distance commuting vehicles for many people but it's not going to replace ICE for the majority.
Im actually afford the gross mistake of thinking ICE is over might make ICE more expensive as the automakers put all their eggs in EVs. Well not all companies but I think GM is making a grave mistake in saying so.

I want more normal looking EVs on the market. Hyundai and Chevy make them. I don't want a space ship, I want a normal looking vehicle with an electric power plant.
Just for commuting and errands, of course. I'll be keeping my gas powered truck, gas powered Jeep and gas powered land yacht.

Im not saying it will happen but I am saying I think we need to get out of the mindset that ICE is going to go away. It will always be preferred over an EV for the majority of people. Battery operated cars are great short distance commuting vehicles for many people but it's not going to replace ICE for the majority.
The gross overestimate of EV demand might make ICE more expensive as the automakers put all their eggs in EVs. Well not all companies but I think GM is making a grave mistake in saying so unless it's reversible. Once again, I fear Lucy will pull the football away from Charlie Brown regarding GM for the last 4+ decades. We will see.
I also doubt ICE is going away anytime soon, and Toyota has that feeling too. They might also believe that there is some tech better than the current battery technology and are going to jump on that bandwagon, or they're working on it now. A change in this administration might just make Toyota a real winner too.

I hope you're wrong about ICE vehicle prices going up, but you make a good point. My hope is the interest rates go up more and sales really fall, just like the Fed wants. At that point the dealers greed will go away and cash will be king again, as salesmen sit waiting and wondering what happened to the good old days. Time will tell.

I also doubt ICE is going away anytime soon, and Toyota has that feeling too. They might also believe that there is some tech better than the current battery technology and are going to jump on that bandwagon, or they're working on it now. A change in this administration might just make Toyota a real winner too.

I hope you're wrong about ICE vehicle prices going up, but you make a good point. My hope is the interest rates go up more and sales really fall, just like the Fed wants. At that point the dealers greed will go away and cash will be king again, as salesmen sit waiting and wondering what happened to the good old days. Time will tell.
Oh I do agree on the battery technology, this current stuff I think one day will be proven to be like something out of the dark ages.
Call me crazy, I cant help feel h2 or something will fuel cells are the answer, at least short term, meaning 10 to 20 years. We have fueling stations on every street corner in the country that would only need upgrading vs a whole new electrical infrastructure.

I could be wrong but I think major companies are investing in h2/fuel cells to the likes of Amazon but take that with a grain of salt as much as I think true I didnt look deeper into it yet. We do know some warehouses use fork lifts powered with fuel cells.

Agree again, while Toyota was ridiculed into backing off their statements regarding EVs, it's looking like they were the ones with the realistic vision.

Let's also remember as far as the public, I bet the VAST majority do not even know that fuel cell cars are powered by electric motors.

Oh I do agree on the battery technology, this current stuff I think one day will be proven to be like something out of the dark ages.
Call me crazy, I cant help feel h2 or something will fuel cells are the answer, at least short term, meaning 10 to 20 years. We have fueling stations on every street corner in the country that would only need upgrading vs a whole new electrical infrastructure.

I could be wrong but I think major companies are investing in h2/fuel cells to the likes of Amazon but take that with a grain of salt as much as I think true I didnt look deeper into it yet. We do know some warehouses use fork lifts powered with fuel cells.

Agree again, while Toyota was ridiculed into backing off their statements regarding EVs, it's looking like they were the ones with the realistic vision.

Let's also remember as far as the public, I bet the VAST majority do not even know that fuel cell cars are powered by electric motors.
Interesting. I have no clue what lies ahead. I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be a battery weighing several tons in the case of trucks, or a 1,000 lbs or more in a car that is going to be moving vehicles down the road 10-20 years from now. In fact IMO battery tech as we know it will be long obsolete long before the grid is ready for prime time.

Bubble had to burst some day. I was taken aback by how long it took. Over 2 years of price madness, I thought it was only gonna last a few months. My local dealers are calming down too. They're removing their bogus addendums and bringing the price down to msrp but that's not enough.

Back