Tesla Cybertruck

Noticed in the remarks … a guy said it will be criticized for being harder to reach into the bed from the side. Then says he has a lifted truck and never does that.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Ford announces their EV, a perhaps boring SUV with a not very creative name.
Not much talk about it because it is "safe".

Everyone is talking about Cybrtrk. Some good, tons bad, lotsa disbelief. Is it even real?
But talking.

I have no idea what to think...

It's great fun to poke at Elon, but truth be told, I respect him immensely and respect all that he has done. I do believe he has pushed mankind in the direction we should go.

Everything Elon does is to further the possibility of a colony on Mars. EV's are an aspect of that. Experience with an inherently tough, EV truck is likely part of the learning curve plan.

[Linked Image from 66.media.tumblr.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
There are literally thousands of psychological studies that says this.
Tesla would be quite foolish to ignore such a strong buying impulse.

Lol, you think Musk cares?

I enjoy ugly vehicles and I'm guessing there are many others who do as well. (Considering the number of god awefull cross overs that sell I think my point is validated)

Thing is a nice looking car is a learned trait.
People like what they own to look exactly like what everyone else owns

What cars look like today would not be acceptable 80 years ago.

So it's possible ugly or not people will buy it.

A lot of people will buy something just to be different.
So This is likely a pure "lifestyle truck"

And even I might own one fully devalued in 20 years, I already own the car it was based off.

AA85C249-0980-4B8F-BFD2-A9AFC060B126.jpeg

Last edited:
it will never be built.eli has his head up his [censored] again -just like that stupid roadster that bankrupted the company

Anyone want to bet if it goes to production it won't be long before the market demands paint? If everyone were OK with every F150, RAM, Silverado being the same color they would have been doing it long ago. Is it a big deal to paint stainless steel?

Comparing this thing to that Hyundai trucklet is like comparing a sledgehammer to a tack hammer.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Anyone want to bet if it goes to production it won't be long before the market demands paint? If everyone were OK with every F150, RAM, Silverado being the same color they would have been doing it long ago. Is it a big deal to paint stainless steel?

Comparing this thing to that Hyundai trucklet is like comparing a sledgehammer to a tack hammer.

The market lost any and all rights to complain about color choice when they started buying clear coated primer... er I mean "Destroyer Gray," "Stealth Gray" or whatever other fancy name.

But I think I found the inspiration Elon used for his truck.
[Linked Image]

So, I read in an article that the body of this truck is cold rolled steel rather than stamped. Musk apparently damaged the glass when he took a sledgehammer to the doors to show how dent proof they were hence why the glass broke when hit will the ball bearing.

It's great fun to poke at Elon, but truth be told, I respect him immensely and respect all that he has done. I do believe he has pushed mankind in the direction we should go.

Everything Elon does is to further the possibility of a colony on Mars. EV's are an aspect of that. Experience with an inherently tough, EV truck is likely part of the learning curve plan.

thumbsup2.gif

Body is stainless steel and way too hard to stamp. The sheets are scored/grooved and bent/folded.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-engineering-manufacturing/

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
So, I read in an article that the body of this truck is cold rolled steel rather than stamped. Musk apparently damaged the glass when he took a sledgehammer to the doors to show how dent proof they were hence why the glass broke when hit will the ball bearing.

Yeah 250,000 gave how much down.... a hundy.
Lots of nuts and fruits out there. I'm with those that think it's not THE truck.

250K pre-orders? Heck, 3/4 will drop out when the time comes to purchase it. So that is only 50K real orders and at 50K average selling price, that is *only 2.5Billion Dollars of actual revenue. That is peanuts. I make that much every week!

Good one vikas. What do you expect from the stoner?
I'm not even close to believing it's even the real production truck. Who was it that said a sucker is born every minute?

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Imagine the fuel economy if towing too! Let's be sure we are comparing apples to apples here.
The physics of higher load resulting in higher energy use is not earth shattering, nor unique to one approach.

You forgot to mention sitting and recharging for a while when that same F-150 can easily and quickly refill his fuel tank. That's a real deal breaker for truck users like myself.We use thousands of dollars per month in fuel. It would cripple our schedule to have so much downtime. Many times one truck comes in and goes right out again with another driver. Quick turnaround! Just comparing "apples to apples", IMO a difficult stretch here as the vehicles are quite different in real world usage.
Actually, my principal belief about most electric vehicles is the potential for long life with much less servicing. That could be a real advantage.

I always enjoy your posts Steve.

Agreed, the commercial operators needs aren't yet met on fueling speed equivalence.

The gap is closing fast though - 250 miles range in 15 minutes is getting there.

On actual use - 80-90%+ of the 1/2 ton trucks driving around have nothing in the bed, and nothing on the hitch.
It's being used as a car, or at a very low % of its total capacity and a car, suv or midsized truck would suffice.

After living with a couple different teslas on trips now - I'd say the average pickup guys needs are met with an electric.

Towing, not yet -

Hauling to and from home depot or a lumberyard, something like a pool guy on a day route absolutely better met with an electric.

Until one has had a vehicle that begins every day with a full "tank" its easy to discount this as the HUGE upside it really is.
This is the magic part of the scenario where the electric ALWAYS wins over the gas vehicle.

At end of the day you drive home, or back to the office - not to a gas station.
If you skip that gas station trip at night - you have to do it in the morning- you have to pay that piper with a trip specifically dedicated to fueling.

Something like 90% of light duty truck work doesn't involve multiple fillings a day, more like a few a week.
The more fillings a week the more time you save by starting each day with a full tank - until you get to multiple fillings a day scenario where the electric takes longer only then do you actually go backward on time - until that moment you gain time (by avoiding a dedicated fuel stop) every filling at night.

For joe weekend average guy what is more common - guys that fill a couple times a week, or those that full multiple times a day?

In EVERY scenario that doesn't involve multiple fillings a day, or towing long distances - the electric runs away with the livability and cost to operate per mile prize hands down.

UD

Last edited:
Hrm. I bought my truck six years ago, figured I'd own for 10 years and 100k. It cost me $22k to buy. Right now I fill about once a month, sometimes twice. 100k at 16mpg is 6,250 gallons; that is under $18k (but who knows what gas will do). At the end of the 10 years it should not be $0 but let's call it that for now. $40k in depreciation and fuel. Quick look shows that the Cybertruck could be as low as $40k.

So I guess if electricity is free that might work for me. Well, 'cept I need to build another garage, 'cuz I'd hate to drive home and see that in my front yard every day.

Err, snow tires are going to be cheap, right?

Just think (once EV is more affordable) of daytime only trucks like Autozone, Napa, etc …
A mid sized EV could do much of what they do and charge at night, full every morning

Until you have experienced "full tank every morning", it is difficult to understand what a great perk it is.
Personally, I am always on the lookout for a decent price gas station.
Always thinking about stopping and gasing up. Darn Scouting "Be Prepared" from my youth!

I do it in the Tesla as well. Then I laugh.
Then I give it part throttle, and .... Whee!

Originally Posted by supton
Hrm. I bought my truck six years ago, figured I'd own for 10 years and 100k. It cost me $22k to buy. Right now I fill about once a month, sometimes twice. 100k at 16mpg is 6,250 gallons; that is under $18k (but who knows what gas will do). At the end of the 10 years it should not be $0 but let's call it that for now. $40k in depreciation and fuel. Quick look shows that the Cybertruck could be as low as $40k.

So I guess if electricity is free that might work for me. Well, 'cept I need to build another garage, 'cuz I'd hate to drive home and see that in my front yard every day.

Errr...snow tires are probably going to cost whatever that size snow tire goes for? right?

What we bought ten years ago for 22K doesnt mean much anymore today.

What does a truck with the cybertrucks capability cost if you were to buy it today?

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
Hrm. I bought my truck six years ago, figured I'd own for 10 years and 100k.

Reports are cybertruck tires are $500+ a pop

Back