Tesla Cybertruck

I don't like the idea of hours of charging vs filling my tank with diesel in just a few minutes. Beside I'd really like to see that thing pull my 14,000 lbs fifthwheel and see how it did.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I don't like the idea of hours of charging vs filling my tank with diesel in just a few minutes. Beside I'd really like to see that thing pull my 14,000 lbs fifthwheel and see how it did.

And imagine the battery life if towing!

I agree that this is just a teaser, the real deal may be a bit more mundane...

Imagine the fuel economy if towing too! Let's be sure we are comparing apples to apples here.

The truck claims comparability with 250kW chargers. That's a lot of power in, but power electronics make that very viable these days if the grid can support it.

Keeping the battery in a reasonable state of charge range, like you would your fuel tank, means that charging is much faster than hours or days.

I'm in no way an eV apologist. I'm much more pro-hybrid, which would include significant benefits for hauling and towing due to the significant low end torque.

But let's at least be sure we're comparing requirements and concepts of use consistently.

Musk said he used the f-150 as the baseline.

f-150 trucks have beds as short as 5.5ft and tanks as small as 23 gallons.

The ecoboost 4x4 yields 24mpg highway, and 25mpg in the diesel.

Unloaded.

Loaded up it's how much worse?

23 gals x 24 mpg unloaded is over 500 miles range. In best, ideal highway conditions. Start hauling and getting 12 mpg, and the range goes way down there as well.

The issue with the low end cybertruck is that there is NOT a 500mi range. Besides being uuuhhgggglllyyyy, the low end not making unloaded range is an issue
But, assuming it is decked out, the price of the fast, 500mile tri-motor version isn't far off from an f-150 king ranch or platinum.

The physics of higher load resulting in higher energy use is not earth shattering, nor unique to one approach.

Awesome-Funny! (Do you do your own Photoshop?)
I saw the other day that Disney was doing something with what looks like a young Yoda. Must be it..... And Elon had a Vision!

Originally Posted by exranger06
[Linked Image]

I am now warming up to it. If it has the same external footprint as my beloved 99 Odyssey, I would like to trade up to this "thing" :) But I am afraid, it will not fit in the garage and also I can't wait for 2 more years.

Originally Posted by paoester
Awesome-Funny! (Do you do your own Photoshop?)
I saw the other day that Disney was doing something with what looks like a young Yoda. Must be it..... And Elon had a Vision!

Originally Posted by exranger06
[Linked Image]

I didn't make the picture. I saw it online, thought it was funny, and reposted it.

Originally Posted by Wolfshead
UGLY ,Like the Aztec and Prius !

Love child between them, surely.

Ford announces their EV, a perhaps boring SUV with a not very creative name.
Not much talk about it because it is "safe".

Everyone is talking about Cybrtrk. Some good, tons bad, lotsa disbelief. Is it even real?
But talking.

I have no idea what to think...

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Imagine the fuel economy if towing too! Let's be sure we are comparing apples to apples here.
The physics of higher load resulting in higher energy use is not earth shattering, nor unique to one approach.

You forgot to mention sitting and recharging for a while when that same F-150 can easily and quickly refill his fuel tank. That's a real deal breaker for truck users like myself.

We use thousands of dollars per month in fuel. It would cripple our schedule to have so much downtime. Many times one truck comes in and goes right out again with another driver. Quick turnaround!

Just comparing "apples to apples", IMO a difficult stretch here as the vehicles are quite different in real world usage.

Actually, my principal belief about most electric vehicles is the potential for long life with much less servicing. That could be a real advantage.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

A 35 gallon gas tank at 18 mpg only gets you 630 miles, and most trucks don't have that much tankage or that good MPGs,

1) EV highway range drops by 40%. Gas/diesel highway range improves on the highway. SO, this is not a 500 mile vs. 600 highway mile range comparison. It's more like a 300 mile vs 650 mile highway range comparison. (Compare modern trucks)

2) EV's use 1Kwh per mile when towing 5000 pounds. A 200KWH battery will result in 180 miles of towing range. A diesel will tow 3x that distance per fillup.

3) Big batteries will take time to charge. At many charge stations, a full charge will take 2 hours.

4) My 2018 F150 4x4 xlt, 2.7L gets 21MPG highway unloaded and has a 36 gallon tank. It will safely go 650 miles, with a 100 mile reserve. In fact, a recent 1200 mile fully loaded trip, I stopped twice for fuel. Once right before I got home.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Everyone is talking about Cybrtrk. Some good, tons bad, lotsa disbelief. Is it even real?
But talking.

A very good point and probably right on the money. I have a feeling the final production model will be a bit more palatable in appearance, but in the literal sea of trucks on the market, Tesla has to stand out.
This at least gets everyone talking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

But talking.

A very good point and probably right on the money. I have a feeling the final production model will be a bit more palatable in appearance, but in the literal sea of trucks on the market, Tesla has to stand out.
This at least gets everyone talking.

From the horses mouth

https://insideevs.com/news/384073/t...1x7nY2e-vUwancCqFD_m_WhL7rF45dBg5WYschq4

As I decerned

Appearance was not a design consideration,

I would think it needs to look better … but reading up some I see more reasons for the odd shape. Solar panel bed cover must retract into the roof to utilize the bed. That means flat. Bed ramp must retract … etc.

The material it's made from might be a tad bit harder to form than the curvy aluminum hood on my Z71.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I would think it needs to look better … but reading up some I see more reasons for the odd shape. Solar panel bed cover must retract into the roof to utilize the bed. That means flat. Bed ramp must retract … etc.

The material it's made from might be a tad bit harder to form than the curvy aluminum hood on my Z71.

If Ford were to build a "gas" cybertruck I would expect a 42mpg+ highway rating

Ford likely could care less about that
but Tesla with its 5 gallon "electric tank" is restricted by aero concerns.

That said they could put lipstick on a pig with bolt ons, paint, wrap, ect
Or they could switch to normal steel for the same basic shape but with rounded edges.

But As I have stated can't overcome physics, stuck with that shape if you want it to drive over 100 miles which I think is a need, no one will buy a nice looking F150 that can't drive to town and back.

Will see what happens (2 years might as well be a million in auto terms)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rmay635703

From the horses mouth

https://insideevs.com/news/384073/t...1x7nY2e-vUwancCqFD_m_WhL7rF45dBg5WYschq4

As I decerned

Appearance was not a design consideration,

It is a 100% guarantee that appearance was part of the overall design, as people shop mostly on appearance. There are literally thousands of psychological studies that says this.
Tesla would be quite foolish to ignore such a strong buying impulse.

It's a bit strange how they wanted it to be "tough" by using the materials they used. The most common damage I used to wind up with (going through brush and mud) were severe scratches.
The percentage of LT owners doing body or glass damage must be low.
A step towards military sales … ? Yeah, I can see a stealthier LT from this … charge at base and probably need an ICE powered recharge truck here and there … function like a fighter getting fuel in flight. No/less hot spots to signal ?

And EV rock crawling would be amazing with instant torque.
They'll work it out …

Back