Temp issues again

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might sound weird but the t-stat is on the opposite side of the motor from the coolant sensor.

Something could be happening in-between that's messing with your reading, like the stat could be "over-reacting" to incoming cold or hot water in some way. This something gets "dealt with" before reaching the sensor.

That said I get a perfect 185' reading in my saturns.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ram_man

Wouldn't going down the highway at 3,000rpm be plenty of load?

Not necessarily.

I could but my assumption is doing 3, 000rpm would be enough to keep it at operating temp.
Today it was warmer out and it ran 185-192

Everything you posted here sounds like it is well within the margin of error. I think you are reading into this too much. A small engine like that, running a few degrees cooler won't hurt anything anyways. If you had to pick a problem, running too cold is better than too hot.

Most T-stats nowadays have an opening temp, it's rated temp, and a max open temp. On my Hyundai it's 180F and 192F. When fully open it seals the t-stat bypass passage in the water pump, where the t-stat is.

The temp is no lower than 179F when running, usually around 182F or so.

I would say the t-stat is sloppy.

Today it was at 169 all morning well right around there. That isn't right. I called another gm dealer they want 85.00 for a thermostat!!!! Holy mother of god!!!

Cooling system, Thermostat
Saturn
COOLING SYSTEM »Cooling system
Saturn › SC Series › 1991-2002
List Price : $43.42
Your Price : $27.14

^^ that isn't from my local dealer. I have two locals. And they're are ridiculous . Sure it can be had cheaper if I look but honestly I was a little put off by 85 bucks.

I went to my local dealer, drove 20 miles one way, to get a drain seal gasket for my transmission. They didn't have it.
frown.gif
The said they could get it but not mail it to me in a 1st class envelope for $0.46

I despise them quite frankly.

I just looked in some old repair notes for a '94 SL 1.9. The gauge was running around 1/4, so I replaced the stat with a 268THM from Napa, which I believe was Stant-made. After the change, the gauge ran at about 1/2. I even finally saw the fan come on at 3/4 in a long drive-through line. (I'm sorry I didn't record and can't remember the exact needle positions, but you should be able to read up on that at Saturnfans.)

I put both stats in a pan of water and heated it. The old one opened much earlier, and then stayed stuck open after it cooled. The old stat was marked 85C (185F) and Made in Germany. The new one was 87C, 188 or 189F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back