Change Thermostat Temperature 2011 Camry 4 Cylinder 2ARFE Engine

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
The standard thermostat temp for this car is 180° F. While I'm sure Toyota knows what they're doing, the temp seems low compared to other cars I've had recently. Their thermostats were set in the 190° F range, maybe a scosh more.

Toyota does offer some higher temp 'stats - 182° F and I believe 184° F. Since I do a lot of low speed, short trip driving, would a higher temp 'stat help to get a quicker warm-up? What might be the downside to a warmer 'stat? Thanks!

Last edited:
A warmer thermostat may hamper you on the real hot days however if your cooling system is in good repair it shouldn't be a big problem. Of the multiple 2010-2011 Camrys with that engine I have driven and rode in I have noticed they warm up significantly quicker than the cars of old and based on where you live that shouldn't be a big problem. I would keep rocking the factory temperature thermostat. A higher thermostat also doesn't warm the car up quicker it only cools it quicker if that makes any sense.

Can someone tell me why manufacturers have gone back to 180* thermostats on some cars and dropped the 192-195* thermostats they were using 20 years ago. I though the warmer the engine ran the the more efficient it ran. My Versa has 180* thermostat. I suspect that's because they use the coolant to cool the CVT fluid in the summer and to heat it in the winter.

An 82°C (or 180°F) thermostat is pretty common on Japanese cars for whatever reason. If that's what it came with, just let it be - unless you're looking to reprogram the parameters for when the fan comes on, etc. Last thing you want is to stick something like a 195°F thermostat in there, thinking you're doing it a world of good, when the fan is configured to turn on full blast at 190-195°F or thereabouts.

An 82°C (or 180°F) th ermostat is pretty common on Japanese cars for whatever reason. If that's what it came with, just let it be - unless you're looking to reprogram the parameters for when the fan comes on, etc. Last thing you want is to stick something like a 195°F thermostat in there, thinking you're doing it a world of good, when the fan is configured to turn on full blast at 190-195°F or thereabouts.
I never said anything about using a 195°-F thermostat. I only mentioned Toyota's optional 182° - and 184° thermostats, and that some cars I've had in the past had 'stats in the 190°-F range.

However, your point about making sure the 'stat and the fans are compatible is a good one.

I said something like a 195°F thermostat since that's one the more common temperature ratings today, given most engines have an operating range of 195-220°F.

IMO modern engines have their thermostats dialed in properly to reach operating temp quickly and efficient operation. Messing with them usually is not good for the engine. Most people try and run a thermostat that opens at a lower temperature, thinking they're going to lower the temperature their engine is going to run at. All that does is control the temperature in which the thermostat is fully opened, it will not control how hot the engine will get after the thermostat is fully opened. I see what the OP is trying to accomplish, if it were my car I'd leave it alone, if the thermostat is working properly. JMO

The standard thermostat temp for this car is 180° F. While I'm sure Toyota knows what they're doing, the temp seems low compared to other cars I've had recently. Their thermostats were set in the 190° F range, maybe a scosh more.
I was always told a cool running engine is a happy running engine. At least I feel better seeing the gauge well to the left knowing there is plenty of cooling reserve should the traffic stop for a while on a hot day with the a/c on.

Toyota does offer some higher temp 'stats - 182° F and I believe 184° F. Since I do a lot of low speed, short trip driving, would a higher temp 'stat help to get a quicker warm-up? What might be the downside to a warmer 'stat? Thanks!
Are the part numbers for the higher temperature thermostats listed as an exchange for your engine and vehicle?

Might be a bum thermostat, just try replacing with a regular one. Wife's same vintage Camry often feels like it has heat just pulling out of the driveway, it gets warm very quickly--perhaps yours is not quite closing all the way.

Shel , you worry too much about things that will have inconsequential benefits.

If there's one system where I'm constantly reminded that I know little, it's the cooling system.
There's always some "queer duck" problem popping up on boards. That's not bad. It's just humbling and educational.

In my untrained mind there'd seem to be little difference in a 180℉ vs 195℉ water bath. The combustion chamber is what, 800℉?
I believe car companies are always making things smaller and lighter. Ergo, I believe there'll be less metal mass to absorb spikes in heat.
Put another way, any spike in temperature would need to be rid faster. Enter your lower temp 'stat.

In Sweden I was shown older cars with retractable covers -like roll up window blinds- which were actuated by a beaded chain run through the dashboard. I was told they were for warm-up only AND that many people damaged their engines because they forgot they blocked the airflow.
I still want one.

Were I the OP I'd read Toyota forums and see how often this comes up. I bet it's rarely and I bet advice regarding changing to another temperature is rarer. But, as you say, Toyota does have differing 'stats.

This poor Toyota. First the question about decreasing the oil capacity and now this question about a higher temperature rated thermostat. This car will see an early death.

I wouldn’t mess with it. There is a reason the 180 thermostat is in there. Toyota didn’t just come up with that number off the top of their heads.

Did you ask Toyota why they put 180F t-stat? What is the tolerance/range?
It is probably part of a bigger system working with oil temperature, coolant, A/C and heater, etc.
So, IMO, I will not mess with it.

A warmer thermostat may hamper you on the real hot days however if your cooling system is in good repair it shouldn't be a big problem. Of the multiple 2010-2011 Camrys with that engine I have driven and rode in I have noticed they warm up significantly quicker than the cars of old and based on where you live that shouldn't be a big problem. I would keep rocking the factory temperature thermostat. A higher thermostat also doesn't warm the car up quicker it only cools it quicker if that makes any sense.
I looked into your comments and now see that my original "assumptions" were not quite right. I better understand how the system works now. Thanks!

The Camry does heat up a lot faster than my previous ride. Returning home from my friend's house on cold nights, I get a nice, warm cabin in 1/4 the time/distance than in my previous car, and it had a higher temp 'stat than the Camry.

IMO modern engines have their thermostats dialed in properly to reach operating temp quickly and efficient operation. Messing with them usually is not good for the engine. Most people try and run a thermostat that opens at a lower temperature, thinking they're going to lower the temperature their engine is going to run at. All that does is control the temperature in which the thermostat is fully opened, it will not control how hot the engine will get after the thermostat is fully opened. I see what the OP is trying to accomplish, if it were my car I'd leave it alone, if the thermostat is working properly. JMO
And leave it alone I shall ...

Back