Tell us about your auto loan...

Sure, "it might". The tone of your post wasn't that "it might" matter in some situations but that this was a widespread problem in America of short-term thinking, poor long-term planning, an aversion to delayed gratification, and an attack on conservative values.

My point is for LOTS of people it probably makes perfect sense to take a low-interest loan. It really isn't that difficult to qualify for the low-interest loans and most people with a 401K can kill 1.9% in performance. In the end, I agree, everyone's situation is different but many of these posts (not just yours but others too) present the idea of taking a loan as being bad or negative or a sign of poor judgment and it very well may not be the case.
For sure. I skipped a 0% loan because the additional cash off the car (one of those 0% or additional $x.xx off) made the loan a worse deal, when looking at the average performance of taking cash from investments. It's very dependent on the rates, yes. The bigger issue is people buying more car than they need. And then putting thousands in accessories on it. I mean, if it makes you feel good 🤷‍♂️ but imagine putting the 22" truck rims, lift kit, and low profile tires into that investment people are talking about earning 12% per year...

But yeah, sounds like many on here actually calculate the difference given averages, which is good.

For sure. I skipped a 0% loan because the additional cash off the car (one of those 0% or additional $x.xx off) made the loan a worse deal, when looking at the average performance of taking cash from investments. It's very dependent on the rates, yes. The bigger issue is people buying more car than they need. And then putting thousands in accessories on it. I mean, if it makes you feel good 🤷‍♂️ but imagine putting the 22" truck rims, lift kit, and low profile tires into that investment people are talking about earning 12% per year...

But yeah, sounds like many on here actually calculate the difference given averages, which is good.
Well...I definitely don’t “need” a $50k glam-truck and I didn’t need to install a banging audio system and I didn’t need Bilstein 6112’s and 5160’s but I sure do enjoy my time in the truck a whole lot more! 😂

I currently don’t have a loan on the Accord. The wife’s 17 Civic is at .9% for 60 months. I think we owe like $5000 on the loan. We could have bought like 10 Civics for cash by why spend our money when Honda financial’s money is close to free to borrow.

I understand all the arguments for taking advantage of the low rate from a financial standpoint vs paying cash. Where I have chosen to find value in paying cash is not owing the man...debt is debt even if it's low interest that you can pay off tomorrow. It's a matter of principle for me on a personal level that outweighs looking purely through the financial lens.

My point: there's no blanket "it's better to get a loan" or "it's not better to get a loan."
Of course there's no one "winning rule." "The man" keeps changing them up hoping customers get complacent.

I guess if there were one universal rule it'd be, "be rich", LOL. It's expensive being poor-- worse options, worse APR, time constraints, etc.

personally, i was born into a wealthy oil family and have the benefit of great genetics, a fleet of supercars, and numerous supermodel concubines. i feel sorry for you common folk!

Cash only. Car loans you tend to validate spending more money than what you have budgeted.

If I take a loan just for appreciating assets like real estate .

Cash only. Car loans you tend to validate spending more money than what you have budgeted.

If I take a loan just for appreciating assets like real estate .
This sounds like Dave Ramsey.
Makes sense for some people but there are others possibilities.
If it works for you or anyone then go for it.

Regardless, I admire your discipline.

This sounds like Dave Ramsey.
Makes sense for some people but there are others possibilities.
If it works for you or anyone then go for it.

Regardless, I admire your discipline.
I learned the disclipine and money habits from my grandfather a cheap Scot and also my dad an immigrant who showed up in US with $200 in 1968 from Syria and attend college and became citizen. I want things but back of mind think of them both when spending.

Both interestingly drove base model Subaru wagons even though they could afford far more. My dad is elated his 2015 Outback has a remote key fob (first vehicle!)

Of course there's no one "winning rule." "The man" keeps changing them up hoping customers get complacent.

I guess if there were one universal rule it'd be, "be rich", LOL. It's expensive being poor-- worse options, worse APR, time constraints, etc.
Or don't try to live like you are rich, regardless if you are rich or poor.

I suspect for many, the problem is living like they are rich without actually being rich.

For most of us, if we want to be rich, we cannot live like we are already rich.

Actually one more, pay attention in math class. If you understand numbers, it helps you to make good choices.

Actually one more, pay attention in math class. If you understand numbers, it helps you to make good choices.
Yeah, but you also have to know what to do with results. You can understand exponents and series, but if you have no plans for retirement, or how to retire, knowing the math won't make a difference.

I learned the disclipine and money habits from my grandfather a cheap Scot and also my dad an immigrant who showed up in US with $200 in 1968 from Syria and attend college and became citizen. I want things but back of mind think of them both when spending.

Both interestingly drove base model Subaru wagons even though they could afford far more. My dad is elated his 2015 Outback has a remote key fob (first vehicle!)
It's good you learned it that way. I had to learn the hard way, massive CC debt, 3 months behind on my mortgage and the tax man coming. I decided at that point I was going to work hard on being debt free in my life. It was tough and I got lucky with my business but the feeling of being debt free totally trumps the feeling of owing.

Good on you for your fiscal discipline.
Here is how I look at a purchase, especially one as large as a car purchase.
There are at least 3 separate parts to the purchase: the car price, the method of payment and the trade in (if you have a trade).
Of course, one should also take into consideration resale, reliability, registration, insurance, etc.

If you take each of the 3 into account and treat them separately, you should be able to make the best decision for you.
I don't like loans because of the interest expense. But if the interest is very low, it may make sense to take a loan.
It is good to have adequate cash reserves and you may be able to invest more of your money for the future.
All your eggs into 1 basket may not work for every budget.
One scenario: I paid 60 large for our Tesla Model 3 in late Dec 2018. What if I had taken out a loan and invested the rest into TSLA stock?
I would have a $500K paper gain right now.
This is an extreme example, but it illustrates a different strategy. I still hate loans, though.
And I still admire your discipline.

Yeah, but you also have to know what to do with results. You can understand exponents and series, but if you have no plans for retirement, or how to retire, knowing the math won't make a difference.
True, you have to be willing to consider the costs, including opportunity costs. Ditto with risks, etc.

So it takes both, understanding the math and being willing to do it. Take away either and you are running blind.

The manufacturer CASH instead of financing is usually a better deal....but not by very much.

I can't really remember the details, haven't taken out an auto loan for over 35 years now. (Only took out that one because I had an allowance for a car from the company I worked for at the time. They paid for most of it.)

I paid off mine: 4 year 1.5% new car refi (cash purchase), back in 2016, through Keypoint Credit Union, on a 20k loan for a $22k vehicle. It was cheaper than my home loan at 3% so might as well.

Back