Tell me about your water heater....

I have an electric 120 gallon Sepco Hydrastone manufactured by Vaughn; it's almost 24 years old. Heats 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.

I've always wondered if heat cycling the tank was OK, bad or terrible for it. My old heater had an ancient timer thing on it, but the PO ripped it all apart. I'm not sure why.

My old house was off the burner, and no tank. The furnace was under the bathroom, only one bath, and it worked fine. New house is again off the burner, but this time there is a holding tank--the house is recirculating hot water, 4 zones, and one zone is just to circulate water to the holding tank. It's located in an odd position, like 20' from the furnace, but I guess they had their reasons and we've never run out of hot water, even with 2 showers going. Not sure on tank capacity but it's not that big.

I have a 40 gallon electric Rheem. It was installed in 2016 after my previous water heater sprung a leak and did about $25K worth of damage. When I bought it I pulled the anode rod out of it and replaced it with one about 2.25 times the size of the original anode. Will be 5 years this summer since it was installed so I'll probably pull the anode and see if it needs replacing this summer. If you don't already have one I suggest putting a drain pan under your new heater with a drain running underneath your house. After my water heater leak in '16 I bought a drain pan for both the washing machine and water heater because I don't want to go through fixing all that damage again.

I know that outdoor water heaters have various advantages like they are ideal for families living in farmer climates and easier, cheaper, and faster to install. However, I still have questions that what are the differences between indoor and outdoor tankless water heaters? And what is better? Hoping you can willing to answer my questions. Thanks!

Last edited:
8-year-old Whirlpool gas. Been meaning to change the anode rod for 2 years, and haven't gotten around to it. I checked it annually for the first 6 years, and it was never needing replacement, but I have a feeling it's gone now. No signs of trouble other than a loud POP every once in a while. Not sure that that signifies, if anything. Just glad its in the garage.

8-year-old Whirlpool gas. Been meaning to change the anode rod for 2 years, and haven't gotten around to it. I checked it annually for the first 6 years, and it was never needing replacement, but I have a feeling it's gone now. No signs of trouble other than a loud POP every once in a while. Not sure that that signifies, if anything. Just glad its in the garage.
I had that happen as well, I thought maybe it was sediment in the bottom of the tank, I flushed the tank several times but nothing came out. I eventually replaced it as it was 20 years old and the bubbling became loud enough to start to concern me...and it lives in the attic.

I have a 40 or 50 gallon propane water heater. Its fine except it runs out before it can fill the Jacuzzi. Its fairly new. House has all electric heat pump for heat. So options are to add a second water heater, or install a larger one or tankless.

I have seem some solutions that involve upping the water heater temp to its max, then adding a tempering valve to bring the water temp going into the house back to 120F. But unsure how much more capacity that would buy me.

A hybrid one would pull the humidity from my garage. A benefit.

Last edited:
I've always wondered if heat cycling the tank was OK, bad or terrible for it. My old heater had an ancient timer thing on it, but the PO ripped it all apart. I'm not sure why.
I remember a setup in CT where they would put a timer on the lower coil and run it at night. If you let the power company do that then you would get a better rate for off-peak power. If you ran out the upper coil would heat some to get by.

In DE I am in an electric Co-op. I have a gadget plugged in to an outlet. If the power company is running near peak and wants the load reduced then everyone will see a red light on the gadget vs the normal green light. So maybe put off drying clothes (electric) or turn the temp for AC up a degree or two.

How was it looking each year?

Previous: Rheem basic 50 gal from 94, died in 2019 or 2020, slow leak.
Current: Rheem Platinum 10 year warranty 50 gal, so far so good.

Previous: 50 Gal GE 12 Year Warranty Natural Gas Conventional. Installed in 2001, made it to 2020.
Current: 50 Gal 10 year Warranty Bradford White Natural Gas Conventional.

Back