Tell me about walmart supertech 75w140 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Jeep requires 75w140 synthetic in the diff's and I was wondering what peoples experience is with it since its tempting at $9 a qt. I've heard plenty of good things about Supertech's motor oil, but not much about their gear lubes.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited:
A friend is running the semi-syn 75w-90 GL-5 in a subaru mT and rear diff. with good results. Wonder why the jeep needs 140? I would think if your not doing HD desert running and rock crawling a 90W would be OK - but I'm not a gear oil expert by any means.

I remember there is a reason (and possibly a TSB) about running 140 over 90...it escapes me at the moment, but there s a reason to run one over the other.

Certainly the lower price and convenience to find this gear oil makes it really tempting to use. I would not hesitate to use in non-severe service and changed at regular intervals. This would be an especially good choice for regular changes when rear axle has exposure to water from submersion since it is cheaper to change out more regularly than any other synthetic 75W-140 diff oil.

For severe service like heavy towing or track use, I like to use Amsoil these days, with the possibility to double the normal service interval unless towing regularly.

Since you don't change diff fluid very often, about 3-5 years or 40-50k miles, I would go with M1 75W140 even the cost is about $5-6/qt more than supertech.

I used Redline 75W-140 synthetic in my Jeep. Paid $50 for a gallon from Summit Racing. No additional limited slip additive required with Redline.

Last edited:
Wasnt there an issue with Supertech gear oil not having the proper additives, and had a suit and/or a recall...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Wasnt there an issue with Supertech gear oil not having the proper additives, and had a suit and/or a recall...

the way i understand it it was a mislabeling of 75w-140 in 5 or 6 california countys and it was in 2004. it was something about the cold weather properties of the gear oil (which obviously doesn't effect most of california. mike

Link:
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f34/walmart-gear-oil-220475/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back