Tell me about EDC pocket knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no substitute for handling a knife before buying it. Check out local sporting good stores, knife and/or gun shows (gun shows usually have a lot of knives.) Something that looks fab on Amazon can feel badly in your hands.

I'll throw another idea out there, a Leatherman. They're all above $35 (and some above $135). If you want to wear it like a folding knife, the Skeletool is slimmer than other Leathermans and includes a pocket clip. Leatherman now makes the Skeletool in 440C and the CX in 154CM stainless, so you can pick between medium hard/easier to sharpen, or the harder 154CM stainless steel, also used by Benchmade.

Of course, Benchmade makes very good knives.

A suggestion, if you go with something harder than 440C, get some kind of diamond sharpening system. Not strictly necessary, just a lot faster.

(There is also the Skeletool KBX, which is really just a knife with a bottle opener. It doesn't float my boat, but maybe you'll like it.)

I've got a Benchmade knife. It's nice. I really like it. It gets carried when hunting or outdoors, so I don't use it much.

I've got a some Swiss Army knives, a Buck knife, a Gerber, and others, including a Finnish knife (a really nice one, Marttiini, I think) brought back as a souvenir from Helsinki.

If you're buying something that you plan to carry all the time, and you'll use every day, then get the best you can afford. People spend $800+ on a cell phone that lasts two years.

Why balk at spending $100+ on something you'll have and use for decades?

Last edited:
Some great suggestions here. I went to a sporting goods store yesterday and handled some different brands and models. I'm going to define my requirements as suggested and get out some of the folders I have and see what I like and don't like about them. The comparison to cell phones really put this purchase in perspective, not that I buy $800 cell phones. I have several multi-tools and consider them a different animal than a pocket knife, not crazy about the bulk and I've not handled one that felt good in the hand and many of the tools are awkward to use , but better than not having the tool at all. I know I like a clip, thin and light but haven't dialed in the size and shape. The Leatherman with a blade and a bottle opener....could be the perfect mix of features!

No hurry and the search is part of the fun. Many thanks!

Here are some of my EDC.

Really all my knives except one, are everyday carry. I don't collect. Somewhere i have a nice Hen & Rooster folder, might be in the camper.

Top 2 are Schrade, both lockblades, the black one is automatic.

A Case Trapper with pocket clip.

An older Camillus Yello-Jaket single lockblade.

The one knife i don't carry is an anniversary knife from work. Its a Swiss Army knife, i don't know which model, but its too big to carry in my pocket.

The last pics are a camping/fishing knife i just bought. Its a KABAR doghead. I did not serve in the military. Out of respect for those that did, i did not feel right carrying a Marine/Army marked fighting knife. So i bought the dog head. It has a larger butt.

DSC05773.JPG

DSC05787.JPG

DSC05777.JPG

DSC05778.JPG

DSC05781.JPG

DSC05775.JPG

DSC05776.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
I have lots of pocket knives but no "good" ones, to me a $35 knife is expensive. That said, I'd like to own one decent pocket knife and due to personal reasons would like to buy a Benchmade brand knife. I looked on their website and just never realized you can pick the type of steel in the blade, which I know nothing about. Beyond knowing I want a locking folder what features do you knife guys like and/or find necessary? thanks.

The basic Griptilian with 154cm steel is a solid knife. 154cm is a high grade US made stainless steel that will hold a good edge and be relatively easy to sharpen. For 99% of knife users, it will be far greater quality steel then they'll ever need. That said, you can spend more for the newer powder metallurgy steels such as S30V, S35VN, 20CV, and M390 to name a few. These super steels will hold an edge for even longer due to their very high carbon content and even carbide distribution while at the same time staying very rust and stain resistant. It's way more steel than almost every user will ever need but if you want something premium, these steels are it.

I started off with a $6 (had a 25% coupon) Gordon Drop Point EDC from Harbor Freight. I thought it was a really good knife for six bucks. It certainly had good weight to it, a nice G10 handle, and good 8CR13MOV blade. I just don't care for the serrated part of the blade.

Today my Benchmade Griptillion 550 was delivered from Amazon. Love the circle thumb hole, it looks very cool and is easy to use. The CPM-S30V blade is a thing of beauty, and at 3.45" there is a lot to admire. The AXIS mechanism is a smart design.I did read reviews that complained about the cheapo plastic handle, and unfortunately all complaints are justified. My Gordon has a G10 handle and that feels worlds better than this cruddy plastic Griptillion nonsense. I was forewarned, I guess I just didn't think it would be this bad. Oh well, the rest of this gem makes it a keeper.

I loved my Benchmade, but the little spring for the lock broke and since it's an auto it's dangerous to carry like that. I keep meaning to get it fixed but you know how that goes lol... I've been looking at some Kershaws lately.

I'm buying a Zombie Tools TraumaHawk though. Good little around the house axe.

https://www.zombietools.net/shop/traumahawk/

I've got a Kershaw made in USA that I've been using for 6 years. Works well and cost less than $50. Easy to sharpen and it holds an edge for a good long time. I mainly use it for opening cardboard boxes which will dull a knife quickly.

Ooops, spoke to soon about the joy of my new knife.

My Gripzillion blade is stuck open. It will not budge, and my fingers are getting sore from trying to get the AXIS buttons to slide down to release the lock. This is the fourth time it has jammed open since late last night, but this time it is frozen. I could of coarse use a tool or hard object to hammer on the mechanism, but it shouldn't be this way, not for $125, not for any price actually. Haven't even owned it for a full day, haven't used it for anything but to slice through paper and a cardboard Amazon box a few times. It's going back to Amazon, today. Bummer, I really liked the blade.

I'm going to order a Spyderco knife.

I went a little crazy with researching pocket knives for a couple of months late last year and early this year. I ended up buying a couple of folders - one that was recommended here - a Massdrop Ferrum Forge "Gent" (S35VN) and a Spyderco Military (Rex45). They're both impressive knives - especially that Spyderco. Even though it's got a helluva blade on it (4"), it's pretty thin and easy to carry. Came with the sharpest factory edge I've ever experienced. I guess that Rex45 ultra-high-speed tool steel can handle such a steep edge. Build quality of both knives is excellent.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I have a few Spyderco knives. All of them are great.

That Military is a beast.

I like how Spyderco produces "sprint runs" of their knives (limited editions) in many different steel alloys.

Knife collectors do tend to go nuts over them and buy them up quickly, however, so, it can be tough to get one in one of those highly desirable alloys, and, of course, the demand drives prices through the roof, especially on the secondary market.

Been carrying a swiss army "Tinker" for years. I use it every day. Mostly the screw drivers to adjust equipment at work or open access panels.

I ordered two new knives, one for me and one for father-in-law-law. I bought them from Cutlery Shoppe online, no risk of counterfeits.

FIL's arrived today; Spyderco Paramilitary 2 with a CPM-S30V satin blade and black G-10 handle. It feels very substantial, all around very high quality, premium, and tough as nails. Muuuuuch better than the Griptillian I returned to Amazon. I'm thinking the Benchmade could have been a counterfeit because of the junk handle and junk AXIS mechanism.

I am still waiting for my Spyderco Paramilitary 2 with a CPM-S35VN BLACK DLC blade, and Dark Earth G-10 handle. It is a sprint run edition. Tracking shows it will be here Monday.

Hope you appreciate pictures as much as I do. The orange colored knife is the Tenacious model, and that color combo is a vendor exclusive. Just received the Paramilitary 2 brown and black, and Tenacious today, so I snapped some pics to share.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Op, I have a Benchmade folder I've used for more than ten years, so I don't know if it's offered new now. It's the Big Spender. I carry in wool dress pants in a professional office setting and it's very low profile but a very serviceable knife.

VERY nice, OP!

I also look forward to getting a PM2 and a Para 3. I'd also like an Endura.

I really like my Military in Rex45.

5CD4204B-D9D4-49F7-A91B-7F3A6CDEA4AC.jpeg

51BBCC0A-4B72-4BD0-BBE7-9DD1E2F0379A.jpeg

FFC11071-3D8A-4E92-B19A-7FFAA86E6F66.jpeg

C584384C-1328-4FCC-A513-D189F8C297D4.jpeg

Originally Posted by john_pifer
VERY nice, OP!

The Paramilitary 2 is a great knife. I have the digicam DLC model. Must be about 7-8 years old now.

The newer Para 3 is a real hit. If I had the need for a knife for EDC , that's the one I would get.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
VERY nice, OP!

Gorgeous knife, there. I have been reading up on the Military, super knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back