Teflon tape on fittings????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1994 Dodge B 150 van and I recently replaced the radiator. When I installed the transmission cooling lines which are brass, I just screwed both together then into the radiator and installed the rubber hose with a hose clamp. Well, they are leaking. Can i use teflon tape to fix this problem?
Thanks,
Rob

Yes sir, that's one I am speaking about. There are two of them, a reducer and then the barbed fitting, both brass. I appreciate your reply. Thank you.

I like the tape better, the threads don't have to be clean and dry. If a fitting needs a sealer it is probably tapered pipe thread and could split anyway if it is over tightened.

The tape should work. FYI, the tape is not a sealant though all it does is allow you to get a couple more turns out of it.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
The tape should work. FYI, the tape is not a sealant though all it does is allow you to get a couple more turns out of it.

That's incorrect. Teflon tape is a thread sealant.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Will a slight leak like this allow air to get into the circuit?

No it should not. The fluid is under pressure and pushing its way out past the threads and when the vehicle isnt running, the leak wouldnt be big enough to draw air in.

And the teflon tape should work to stop this leak.

Originally Posted By: Stelth

Actually, no. It is not a thread sealant.

Quote:
The use of PTFE tape in tapered pipe threads performs a lubricating function, which more easily allows the threads to be screwed together, to the point of deformation, which is what creates the seal.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

I have gone through the same ordeal when I replaced radiator and transmission cooler lines on my Pontiac few months ago.

Teflon tape and thread sealant both worked for me, otherwise it leaked.

Quote:
The use of PTFE tape in tapered pipe threads performs a lubricating function, which more easily allows the threads to be screwed together, to the point of deformation, which is what creates the seal.

Wikipedia is nice, but not authoritative. There are a number of inaccuracies in the article you reference. Here are some industry links:

Mill-Rose

tfco

Mil-spec
Pay particular attention to section 7.1

Tape Dope by Oatey/Hercules

If you need more, I can provide them. In my personal experience of more than 28 years of plumbing, I have installed thousands of feet of threaded pipe, from 1/8" to 4", of black iron, galvanized, stainless steel, brass, and plastics. I have a pretty good idea of what is, and what is not, a sealant.

Quote:

Wikipedia is nice, but not authoritative. There are a number of inaccuracies in the article you reference. Here are some industry links:

Mill-Rose

tfco

Mil-spec

If you need more, I can provide them. In my personal experience of more than 28 years of plumbing, I have installed thousands of feet of threaded pipe, from 1/8" to 4", of black iron, galvanized, stainless steel, brass, and plastics. I have a pretty good idea of what is, and what is not, a sealant.

3/4 of those links are just marketing. LOL, if you take that seriously.

Whatever, think what you want.

I'm not questioning your 28 years of plumbing experience, I'm just reiterating what I've been told and seen first hand.

It's not rocket science. The tape acts as a lubricant and allows you to get more turns out of it.

I'm done here.

Tapered pipe threads are designed to seal themselves (in a perfect world).

Teflon tape allows the pipe to be wrenched in more turns (which makes it easier to split a fitting if not paying attention) and allows the thread to fully tighten and seal (if it's a "good" thread)

When I had damaged/flawed/suspect threads I used Master's Metallic compound to make a leak-proof joint during my pipefitter days at Chrysler Corp in the 1960's

hypervish said:

Quote:

Mill-Rose

tfco

Mil-spec

3/4 of those links are just marketing. LOL, if you take that seriously.

Whatever, think what you want.

I'm not questioning your 28 years of plumbing experience, I'm just reiterating what I've been told and seen first hand.

It's not rocket science. The tape acts as a lubricant and allows you to get more turns out of it.

I'm done here.

Yes, you're done, since you have nothing to back up your claims. And there's a lot more science to it than you think. I've also made gaskets out of PTFE tape, and reinforced failing gaskets when I couldn't get a new one. It's a good gasket material, due to its ductility and strength. PTFE also comes in cord for making gaskets.

Pipe thread sealing is accomplished by filling, or sealing, small, even microscopic voids in the threads. Field-cut threads often have visible defects, yet, when the correct sealant (often PTFE tape) is applied and the joint made up, they will give good, long-term, leak-free service. Lubrication is a side benefit of many of these sealants.

Seems to me anything which fills a gap between threads caused by imperfect cutting of the threads, for example, acts as a sealant, interntionally or not.

I like Loctite's liquid teflon. It has an alcohol solvent base so is easy to thin out if needed.

The problem with tape is some of it gets sheered off and will enter the coolant. Probably not a big deal here though.

If you start the tape a few threads back from the end you don't have to worry about it breaking off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back