Teflon tape on fittings????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The problem with tape is some of it gets sheered off and will enter the coolant

Seriously? You worry about stuff like this?

Yes with liquids. Hydraulic or oil fittings. The teflon shavings, which are usually stringy, will clog the small orifices in valves or in your engine the small oil passages.

I like Loctite's liquid teflon. It has an alcohol solvent base so is easy to thin out if needed.

+1 white loctite is excellent...and easier. Allow 2 hours to cure before adding oil pressure to the fitting.

I usually use liquid pipe sealant on refrigeration fittings, for some reason I seem to have problems with teflon tape getting a decent seal all the time. If you don't use anything on the threads they WILL leak, sooner or later, even if the fittings are overtightened. Just make sure that whatever you use is rated for the fluid you are running through the fittings & you'll be fine.

Yes with liquids. Hydraulic or oil fittings. The teflon shavings, which are usually stringy, will clog the small orifices in valves or in your engine the small oil passages.

I have used tape on plenty of such fittings - brake lines, transmission cooler lines, and power steering pipes. I don't let the end of the tape get all the way to the end up the threads. Obviously, I cannot state with conviction that I have never had bits of tape get into the systems, since I can't get inside the lines. But, I can state unequivocally that I have never experienced any sort of issue related to clogs from bits of teflon thread tape.

Originally Posted By: hypervish

3/4 of those links are just marketing. LOL, if you take that seriously.

Whatever, think what you want.

I'm not questioning your 28 years of plumbing experience, I'm just reiterating what I've been told and seen first hand.

It's not rocket science. The tape acts as a lubricant and allows you to get more turns out of it.

I'm done here.

hypervish- yeah, I agree you are done. Because the 1 link that really counts (the CIDS in the MILSPEC) says it all: "intended use: The tape is intended as an antiseize and sealant of pipe threads of liquid [...]".

No surprise you are so quick to cut and run from this thread. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back