Techron and PEA

Sure. The performance doesn't necessarily "scale" in any consistent manner. Some might meet Top Tier requirements at 2x the EPA minimum while another might be at 3x. Maybe that much more will never meet Top Tier requirements because it will create deposits at a higher enough concentration. However, many fuel marketers have charts claiming that about 2.5x EPA minimum requirements will generally meet Top Tier testing requirements. Costco's claim of 5x the EPA minimum is only about the specific detergent that they use.
I beleive you'd have to exceed the EPA minimum concentration by a wide margin before it had any negative effects (like unrealistically wide).
Like using Techron the recommendend dosage is in the range of 10-20x EPA minimum (this is a guess, I believe this has been discussed, but can't find a reference)
There would be diminishing returns above that. And negative effects would be well above that, not practically even possible.

Each additive is going to have a recommended dosage to meet EPA requirement (1x).
And generally speaking 5x the minimum of 1 additive should be better than 2.5x the minimum of another.
Point being rest assured Costco gas is good. But not necessarily better then xyz without more information.

The Techron Fuel System Cleaner bottle says it treats up to 15 gallons. I also see a response from Chevron that 1oz per gallon is the recommended concentration. The bottles are 12oz.

I poured two bottles in a 3000 GT, and filled the 19.8 gallon tank with Chevron 93 until I couldn't get another drop in.

It worked beautifully for that car. Trying to imagine at what concentration it would cause a running issue.

I beleive you'd have to exceed the EPA minimum concentration by a wide margin before it had any negative effects (like unrealistically wide).
Like using Techron the recommendend dosage is in the range of 10-20x EPA minimum (this is a guess, I believe this has been discussed, but can't find a reference)
There would be diminishing returns above that. And negative effects would be well above that, not practically even possible.

Each additive is going to have a recommended dosage to meet EPA requirement (1x).
And generally speaking 5x the minimum of 1 additive should be better than 2.5x the minimum of another.
Point being rest assured Costco gas is good. But not necessarily better then xyz without more information.

Depends. The aftermarket additives aren't necessarily formulated or certified the same as pump fuel additives.

I know that companies like Afton Chemical claim that some of their additives "scale" where they can be used for anything from EPA minimum requirements or higher concentration to meet Top Tier requirements. However, they don't generally concern themselves with the efficacy at a levels higher than that.

10 ounce bottle .
IMG_5896.JPG
IMG_5892.JPG
IMG_5893.JPG

The 10oz bottle is not worth it. Call Chevron and ask what the proper treat rate is for Techron, they will tell you it’s 1oz per 1 gallon of gasoline. Then ask them why the 10oz bottle says treats up to 15gallons of gasoline. They have no answer for that. The 10oz Techron bottle is a Walmart specific bottle and with Walmart’s buying power they can get a bottle/label specifically that meets their desires. They Walmart used to carry the 12oz for 12 gallons of gasoline bottle up until a few years ago.

Someone here mentioned that the 10oz bottle Techron is available at Amazon too. However, I’ve never seen it once. Only seen it at Walmart.

"Deep cleans in one tankful" ???

I used to think that too. I thought Techron and Gumout Regane were the best of the best. After looking at several Youtube videos where they were tested and examined by a borescope, there was minimal, and I mean very minimal improvements after two consecutive treatments. One guy even ran a highly concentrated dose by applying concentrate to just a 1/4 tank, but still showed almost nothing.

There is the possibility that if someone used them from Day 1 on a brand new car, and maybe at every fill-up, there might be an effect. But please don't think a dose will "deep clean in one tankful'. Ain't gonna happen. See the videos and draw your conclusions.

Im still an ancient dude,,,use Marvel Mystery Oil,,,,gentle, effective and helps pass your gas,,,, rof..:ROFLMAO:

I have used Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner mostly following the directions...once per oil change (3-5K miles in the fuel tank) but on 3 occasions I have used it in a double dose for a sticking fuel gage (believed to be deposits on the float or some such in the tank) and once for a check engine light that was fuel related...all three times the issue was fixed and has not returned...

the first time I tried it, Techron was recommended on the Corvette Forum for this issue many years ago...the second time (2 years ago) was when I took over ownership of an unloved Ford F150...and the last time (5 months ago) was on my sister's Toyota Corolla and it cleared up the check engine light and passed the emissions test here in Illinois when it had failed just two days prior, setting the check engine light...

while I cannot tell what other benefits the cars get from using Chevron Techron as I also use only Top Tier fuels for cars under my care, I have had no recurring issues for those vehicle during those times thus far...most of those vehicles get a dose about once a year due to miles driven and what I do when I buy something used or that I have little information on the previous owner is to give a double dose of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner (yes, I know I'm not following the directions) for the first fuel fill up and then follow the directions for use after that...I tend to stick with subsequent uses using about the 1 oz per gallon method leaning to the more rather than less when matching Techron oz's to fuel tank capacity...

Bill

Back